Post here your Elvis' pictures

here's one from 54 or 55

Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:38 pm

Scotty just started offering copies of these on his site from 54 or 55. It was from before the fame hit and he was taking his wife Bobbie to dance classes. He wanted nothing to do with it so he'd wait for her outside in the car. Elvis and his friends were walking down the street, saw Scotty and came over to the car. Someone took the picture from the passenger side.

Jim

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:09 pm

Awesome pic, thanks James!

heres one from

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:38 pm

... With all due respect to Scotty, and sorry for spoiling the party...

This photo was taken in Memphis, in the spring of 1956. And its

posed. The photographer was Robert Williams, from Memphis

as well. It first appeared in the all elvis mag : Elvis Speaks, with

text by Memphian Robert Johnson, journalist for The Memphis Press

Scimitar... Nice pic, though! :D

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:03 pm

The sideburns and the eye makeup also point to a 1956 pedigree. If Brian is around, I'd love to read his input on this pic. Ever notice how COOL Elvis seems to be in almost any photo from that time? Amazing.

heres one from

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:11 pm

... A little more info on this photo... Williams had photographed Elvis

home, at audubon drive, that afternoon, and followed him, his date

Barbara Hearn, Red and Junior, on a night at the town. Wearing the same

sportscoat and shirt, as pictured above. It was during this photo

coverage, E got in trouble, by putting his head on the shoulder of

a girl, in a burger joint. She sued E, so the story goes. All these photos,

by Williams, are collected in Elvis Speaks, from 56.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:20 pm

Cool,
I'll tell him
Thanks

PS, its not a party, its his 50 year old recollection, which apparantly isn''t all that incorrect. He wouldn't have had anything to do with the session. While Williams was following him around he probably saw Scotty waiting for Bobbie and came over to the car. The 54, 55 was my guess.

This is Barabara Hearn, right?

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:49 pm

That is Barbara, but I defy anyone to name the doggie!

heres one from

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:00 pm

... Her name was Snowy, Doc! Shes pictured in the mag as well.

...Your turn!

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:07 pm

Are you serious? Hilarious!

Well, once again, I bow before your greatness, King Ger.

This is MY idea of a fun topic, instead of rantings about "lost threads."

Thanks James.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The sideburns and the eye makeup also point to a 1956 pedigree. If Brian is around, I'd love to read his input on this pic. Ever notice how COOL Elvis seems to be in almost any photo from that time? Amazing.

If he looks this cool some 50 years later, I can't imagine what he did for his fans in 56, it must have been incredible!

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:57 pm

"Like a prince from another planet ..."

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:30 am

Such a great pic!

A great description - "Like a prince from another planet ..."

Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:09 pm

Ehhhh well, Ger! I don't know which copy of "Elvis Presley Speaks" you have but it's not the same as mine. I just can't find that photo of Elvis and Scotty in the magazine. I know I've seen it in some magazine but can't seem to find it.

The date for the photo is June 19, 1956 and you're right. It was the day when Elvis took Barbara and some other friends to town and sat down beside Ms Robbie Moore, who was not Scotty's wife by same name. I have more photos from that date on http://www.brian56.dk/560619.htm

And then the little dog in Barbaras arms. That's the Pomeranian Elvis gave to his mother earlier in the year. The dog is often referred to as a Spitz as well and the name is Sweet Pea. Photo is from October 18, 1956 the say Elvis got into a fight at the gas station in Memphis and had to go on trial the next day.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
http://www.fly.to/brian56

Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:33 pm

The booklet of The First Year LP (PL 80504):

ImageImage

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:02 pm

bripet56 wrote:Photo is from October 18, 1956 the say Elvis got into a fight at the gas station in Memphis and had to go on trial the next day.

That was also the day they had planned to present him with his first Gibson J200 in a small presentation at Houcks ( http://scottymoore.net/56J200.html ). He never made it as a result of the arrest and Scotty picked it up and gave it him later.

Here a shot from court the next day

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:35 pm

bripet56 wrote:And then the little dog in Barbaras arms. That's the Pomeranian Elvis gave to his mother earlier in the year. The dog is often referred to as a Spitz as well and the name is Sweet Pea. Photo is from October 18, 1956 the say Elvis got into a fight at the gas station in Memphis and had to go on trial the next day ...

Ger, I must reclaim my bow, and hand it to Prince Brian. Sweet Pea! That sounds like a name close to Gladys' heart.

Don't fret, Ger, you still keep the crown for all the good you've done.

heres one from

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:32 am

... Some serious researchers, here!

I was just kiddin on the name snowy, Doc, heh, heh! I had no idea, to be

honest :D The photo of Scotty and Elvis, turned up in an issue from

16 magazine, with the same editorial crew as Elvis Speaks. Left overs,

from several Williams photo shoots, done earlier, turned up in 16...

With 36 degrees inside, I gave it my best shot, not having been able

to dig up these old mags right away, I was guessing, and hoping Brian

was on holiday! :lol: O well...

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:15 pm

Interesting to read about the 19 June 1956 photo shoot.
In addition to the ones Bripet has on his great website there are two more printed in 'Elvis' by Dave Marsh p99-101.

heres one from

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:26 pm

... Good work, Gang!

I remember the one on his Harley. The Marsh book sure had a bunch

of great 50s shots!

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Like a prince from another planet ..."

Although, as you know quite well Doc, those words were first used of Elvis at MSG, some 16 years after this picture was taken.

Dottore

Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:09 pm

It was used a LOT longer ago than that, Dottore,[/quote]

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:02 am

The phrase was certainly used in a New York Times review of a Garden show. Can anybody trace an earlier reference? I doubt the reviewer would have 'borrowed' it from elsewhere.

Is there veidence of earlier usage?

Dottore