Post here your Elvis' pictures

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:49 pm

Scatter, I didn't ask that question to be sarcastic, I just wanted to know where you read it, that's all. Either way, I'm sure they didn't need to hire bodyguards because of Elvis' idle threats. C'mon, the guys are going to get whacked at the same time as their book is coming out?, this isn't the mafia we're talking about. It was about a guy letting off steam. I'm sure Steve Dunleavy coached West into having a tape recorder ready (just in case EP called and tried to talk him out of it), for book usage, after all, it doesn't get much sleazier then Dunleavy.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:23 pm

Joe Car wrote:Scatter, I didn't ask that question to be sarcastic, I just wanted to know where you read it, that's all.

I didn't think you were being sarcastic at all Joe........the accounts cover several books and interviews. Most in fact. That's why I'm surprised you haven't read it before.

Either way, I'm sure they didn't need to hire bodyguards because of Elvis' idle threats.

You know the threats were idle because you know how the story ended.The Wests were living it in real time without knowing how it would all turn out.

These were threats made by someone in the grip of addiction with a history of violent behavior and a tenuous grasp of reality. I'd be interested to know if you would feel the same sense of indifference if it was your wife or kids being threatened by someone in that state. I doubt it. I know I would take it very seriously.

C'mon, the guys are going to get whacked at the same time as their book is coming out?, this isn't the mafia we're talking about. It was about a guy letting off steam.

Joe, we have the benefit of hindsight..........they didn't. What they DID know is what I've presented above.

Elvis was threatening the lives of the contractors of EPC Courts.
Elvis was threatening the lives of the Wests and Hebler.
Elvis was plotting the assassinations of drug dealers in Memphis.
Elvis was whacked out of his mind on drugs much of the time, and his physical/mental/emotional state was deteriorating rapidly. The fact is, Elvis was losing his grip on reality........anything was possible.

They had reason to be concerned. To fall back to a position of "Well, Elvis would never do that" is impossibly naive. What Elvis was capable of in the past and what he was capable of in the last year of his life are two very different paradigms. People are capable of all sorts of things when they are under the influence that they would never even consider when sober.And Elvis was never really sober anymore.

I'm certain the Wests thought Elvis was incapable of sacking them with one weeks notice after 20 years too.

I'm sure Steve Dunleavy coached West into having a tape recorder ready (just in case EP called and tried to talk him out of it), for book usage, after all, it doesn't get much sleazier then Dunleavy.

I can't argue with you there........Dunleavy is trash. And he may well have been the impetus behind the taping. I also agree that Elvis came off sympathetically on the tape. I'm happy for that.

But I don't see the precaution of taping the call as a betrayal any greater than the betrayal Elvis perpetrated on the Wests. Karma is a bitch......

It was a precaution that was understandable, IMO. Not saying I condone it, exactly.........but I do understand it.