Post here your Elvis' pictures

4th of July, 1956

Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:41 pm

Some photos from 50 years ago. Elvis celebrating 4th of July with first his family and then with all of his Memphis fans.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And if I am not mistaking - earlier the same day
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Sorry for the big post - too many great photos to choose from on this date!

Have a good one!

Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:29 pm

And a short video from the concert. Enjoy!!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HSKWRHTT[/url]

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:40 pm

Great pics Little Sister, the link though is only offering me dates with hot babes, no Elvis...wait a minute...I need to think my life through. :D

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:57 pm

That's the night the Old Bastard (oops the Colonel!) picked up 'his boy' in a patrol (cop/ police/ officer) car, to travel to the gig!

Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:28 pm

Eddie - in the box to the left of the DOWNLOAD-button, just type CGI, press download. Now you need to wait 45 seconds and then you're good to go.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:55 pm

Great post Little Sister.
There truly is a whole lot of magnificent photos to choose from on this date so it is very hard to set a limit.

Great live-footage as well. Love to watch that. And there's Elvis showing his initial ring that he gave away as a door prize.

Here's a couple more.

On the train from Chattanooga-Memphis which made ALL the stops.

with Dewey Phillips and Mrs Hank Williams at Russwood Park in the evening

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
http://www.fly.to/brian56

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:03 pm

hey thanks, Brian fer posting these, the last two ive never seen..
what did Mrs.Hank Williams have to do with, if anything? the show that evening?
and ole Dewey as aways "milkin' it" for all it's worth, in his 15 minutes.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:32 pm

bripet56 wrote:Great post Little Sister.
There truly is a whole lot of magnificent photos to choose from on this date so it is very hard to set a limit.

Great live-footage as well. Love to watch that. And there's Elvis showing his initial ring that he gave away as a door prize.

Here's a couple more.

On the train from Chattanooga-Memphis which made ALL the stops.

with Dewey Phillips and Mrs Hank Williams at Russwood Park in the evening

Sincerely
Brian

Great thread people! Brian in the middle photo, who is EP sitting with? I can't quite reconize him.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:36 pm

That's "Junior" Smith, Elvis' cousin, on the train with him.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:That's "Junior" Smith, Elvis' cousin, on the train with him.

Thanks Doc!

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:20 pm

Jr.Smith killed myself ( ate rat poison ) cuz E wouldn't pay for his drum set. Thats what I heard.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:39 pm

ROCKABILLY wrote:Jr.Smith killed myself ( ate rat poison ) cuz E wouldn't pay for his drum set. Thats what I heard.

Thanks for sharing.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ROCKABILLY wrote:Jr.Smith killed myself ( ate rat poison ) cuz E wouldn't pay for his drum set. Thats what I heard.

Thanks for sharing.

No problem. Glad to be of service ole chum.

4th of july

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:04 pm

... ALL, except 5, ripped from Wertheimer publications!

And thats been going on, with Werts material, since 56, when RCA

was the first, to ripp him, without paying...

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:04 pm

Well Ger, I see your point but if we were to only post photos that we had the copyrights to or at least could give credit to the photographer/owner I guess we'd have to close this picture-section real soon.

And MAN, I'd hate to see that.

We'd also be forced to close most websites as the majority of those photos (including mine) probably belong to someone else.

Man, I'd hate to see that too.

So, what to do? I don't have the solution but I for one am totally for sharing. Even though the copyright might belong to someone else. I might hurt those peoples feelings but if I can share a great photo of Elvis with other fans I don't mind.

Sincerely
your friend
Brian

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:35 pm

Can't say I blame you, either, Ger. It is definitely the world we live in. But, I do hope you stick around and add your insights to this board. As Brian said, there are some things which cannot be taken from a person. I understand that it may be of little consolation to you, though.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:46 pm

[quote]if I can share a great photo of Elvis with other fans I don't mind.

feel the same way...
at least could give credit to the photographer/owner

agree.... whenever possible..

Would be a sad day when we could-not see a new Elvis Presley picture
kinda like not ever having a hambuger again, you will surive....but sooner or later you're gonna miss it!!

MOST of the owners of the photos do not mind you sharing them and if you knew, got them from other web sites as well!

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:19 pm

I own every book Al Wertheimer has published, beginning in 1979 with his "Elvis 56" -- a true classic. His collaborations with Ger are also TOTALLY essential. I love them all.

Al has made money at least since then -- every year there's a new, gorgeous calendar made available of his photos, usually with one or two fresh images included with some of his classics.

If Ger would rather we shut down this section, I won't put up an arguement. However, it would be a shame. I've learned a lot in the past year from people like Brian and LS about the history behind many of these images.

If FECC put a link to where Ger's books can be purchased at the entrance to this section, perhaps that would be a decent compromise.

4th of july

Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:03 am

... No, Dont close this page.

Its the anger, at times, that happens when I see many images from

my old book titles, appearing here, or elsewhere, without one

caption note saying where they come from. Thats not too much

asked for, now is it?! Back in the 80s, few books were available

exclusively on E in the 50s. I changed that. And Im proud of that.

But it took research and a truckload of money to get my hands

on these, often unpublished images. My books were a labour of

love. Lost money on just about all of them.

... It hurts, when others simply scan them from the pages of

my books. They belong there, in the photo books.

I know nothing can be done about it. And it happens to the

exclusive images from Wertheimer, and many other photographers.

Its not much fun, seeing your material ripped from its original

sources. With not even a credit.

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:52 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff, a question if I may! Do you copy and paste your text in to here!? It's the gab between your lines that prompted me to ask! No drama! Cheers!

4th of july

Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:26 pm

... Say wha now, massa Funk?!

Dont get what youre sayin. Im only a Dutch tourist, here on this

Elvis site, remember? I type with double space between each line,

simply because it reads more plesantly. Reading my old stuff, from

the time, I started poluting here, hurts the eyes.

Thats all there is to it.

Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:39 pm

Ger - As I have stated just yesterday in another thread I support the notion that people should give credit and put up the names of the original photograhers and copyright holders, whenever possible. Same applies to essays or other work that's compiled of text only. But I'd be the first to admit that I get most of the images I have uploaded here from eBay and usually the candids don't come with the information, often not even with a date and location, because the sellers don't provide them. Also whenever I find a rare picture elsewhere on the internet I upload it here to ask for details. I have seen "fans" who pretend they own the photos, so that can get problematic and most people don't bother to pass along the credits, so it's sometimes not easy to track down the original source, if there is no watermark on the image. But I try.

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:48 pm

Completely understand your feeling on this matter Ger,
I too have a lot of Wertheimers publications bought and paid for..
I know about RCA ripping him as well.. but just with this classic shot alone
on thousands of posters, calenders ect.
he had to have made some bucks, somewere alone the line

would hate to see you leave as i always enjoy your INPUT into the world of Elvis Presley..ps I also have quite a few or your books as well, great stuff and belongs in any collection..