Post here your Elvis' pictures

Great 1969 close-up

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:44 am

I just bought an old Movie TV Confidential magazine from January 1971 just because of this amazing close-up of Elvis on the cover. He was one good-looking dude, wasn´t he?

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:39 am

Let's not overstate the obvious! In the period from late 1967 to early 1971 Elvis looked just about perfect, almost ALL the time. Incredible.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:16 am

That's a fantastic picture -- if only because you see Elvis looking straight at you, close up. But Elvis' eyes have been touched up. His skin is also the darkest shade I've ever seen (again, a touch-up, make-up, or both). The image is a tad disconcerting.

Now, this isn't free of those issues, either, but...

This would have to be my all-time favourite photograph of E:

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:49 am

Cryogenic wrote:His skin is also the darkest shade I've ever seen (again, a touch-up, make-up, or both).

No, it was the tan he had that July. There's a series of photos from June where he's visiting Tom Jones in Vegas, and he's so dark he almost looks African-American. And he makes Jones look like a janitor.

Elvis, the tan and his music.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:His skin is also the darkest shade I've ever seen (again, a touch-up, make-up, or both).

No, it was the tan he had that July. There's a series of photos from June where he's visiting Tom Jones in Vegas, and he's so dark he almost looks African-American. And he makes Jones look like a janitor.

Elvis, the tan and his music.

So true, so true.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis, the tan and his music.

Wonderful twist on the great DVD series.

This is the most amazing close-up I have ever seen.
I am in shock. I am trying not to drool, but this is just
too much. Screams model. What a hot cat! Did anyone ever
approach him about doing advertising for their company?
I love the stubble. Also bluest I have ever seen the eyes on a photo. Anyone?

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:49 am

I notice the bottom of the cover says something about "Tom Jones Finally ..."

Finally what?

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:03 am

That's a terrific (and new to me) shot 'The Fool', thanks for posting !

It appears to certainly be another one in a series of photos taken at the 'Artists Entrance' in the summer of 1970.

Great !!

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:04 am

Tom Jones finally admits the truth about his nights away from Linda

Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:00 am

Linda?

Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Linda?

Linda, his wife.

Great pic. A lot of these 70's TV mags seem to have candids that are not that common.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:34 am

nice

Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:42 pm

Delboy wrote:Great pic. A lot of these 70's TV mags seem to have candids that are not that common.

True. Some of those photos might still be in the vaults. I don't know which companies published those 70s mags. They might not even exist anymore or when they merged with another company, they might have thrown the negatives etc. in the trash. Anyone?

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:22 pm

Well, I just compared that candid to several others from that period -- his skin is definitely a darker shade of brown on that magazine. Slightly. I realise now it's just the way that that particular image was taken/processed (notice, for example, the brown lips -- other candids reveal redder ones).

Truly an amazing tan and complexion, though. And yet, in 1972, the "Elvis On Tour" footage reveals a different man entirely.

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:38 pm

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:22 pm

By the way: why is this thread titled, "Great 1969 close-up," when the topic starter himself states that the image is from 1971?

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:35 pm

The magazine is from 1971, the image is from 1969.

Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:22 am

It's from July 1969, taken after a rehearsal at RCA Hollywood, IIRC.

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:50 am

Thanks for the simple clarification. I always assumed it was '69 (and if I'd been paying attention to the source of my comparison photos I mentioned earlier, I would have realised! - doh!) -- but the thread title threw me off.