Post here your Elvis' pictures

Kansas City 77

Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:32 am

Anyone know of pics from Kansas City '77 from the show (i.e. other than the pic with Jackie Kahane) ??

Kansas City 77

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:13 am

If you go through the picture of the week on this site you'll eventually find one. Personally I don't believe the picture with Jackie was taken in June '77 at all. He has more the look of the April '77 tour.

FECC Team

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:25 am

Thanks. I'll see what I can find. I have a friend that was at the show. He said the guys had to basically carry him up the stairs on the stage. He said Elvis didn't even take the guitar from Charlie like normal...just went straight to the mic stand and that it was basically holding him up. Yet, the reviews of the show I have read don't mention anything that abnormal. Sad, yet fascinating...

Thanks

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:57 am

davidtcb1 wrote:Thanks. I'll see what I can find. I have a friend that was at the show. He said the guys had to basically carry him up the stairs on the stage. He said Elvis didn't even take the guitar from Charlie like normal...just went straight to the mic stand and that it was basically holding him up. Yet, the reviews of the show I have read don't mention anything that abnormal. Sad, yet fascinating...

Thanks

There are several minutes of good quality 8 millimeter footage with sound that documents this show.

Elvis is very stiff and off-key at the outset. He seems to have difficulty in not only moving but in standing upright. He is holding the mic stand for support.

But, a few minutes later, he and Charlie are laughing their way through Are You Lonesome Tonight.

At the conclusion of this show, Elvis comments that despite what was being written about him and what we might hear, he was healthy and doing what he enjoys doing.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:06 am

Thanks Jay...

Perahps I'll see if I can locate this footage.

David

Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:42 am

I think the picture of Elvis with Jackie Kahane is from April of '77 also, Elvis looked alot healthier in it for it to be from the 18th of June.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:43 pm

edited
Last edited by Scott Haigh 781990EP on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:44 pm

Kansas City was some of the most sad footage of our man i'd ever seen

Elvis looked sick, dazed, and hardly even moved. He was on automatic pilot, but the fans lapped it all up as usual. I've seen See see rider to Big boss man, thats all the footage ive seen. I sure hope he improved from then on

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:18 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:I sure hope he improved from then on

What difference would that make?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:28 pm

Yes, Scott, my friend said it was pretty bad. After seeing him 9 times throughout the 70s (including St. Louis in Sept 70), it was a pretty painful experience. He said people were getting up and leaving, etc. He was pretty mad at Elvis. I think Elvis was only on stage for something like 26 minutes....just flew through the songs and got out of there.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:34 pm

26 minutes?!! No, Elvis-from what i know any ways- never did a performance that short. I think Elvis did a little over an hour for this show, i could be wrong though. But yes, Elvis, from the footage i've seen, is pretty bad in this concert.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:40 pm

Yeah, I can't remember exactly how long he said, but it was somewhere in that neighborhood. Probably a little longer. Doesn't really matter now I guess anyway. Seems like every night during that period could go to the extreme good or bad - depending on the day.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:45 pm

davidtcb1 wrote:Yeah, I can't remember exactly how long he said, but it was somewhere in that neighborhood. Probably a little longer. Doesn't really matter now I guess anyway. Seems like every night during that period could go to the extreme good or bad - depending on the day.

There's an audience recording from this Kansas City show and it was a (near) 80 minutes show, NOT 26 (or 28 for that matter :wink:) :!:

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:52 pm

I was gonna say that, but i got it confused with Chicago, but now i just thought 'Oh yeah he played Chicago in May'. Thanks Stefan

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:54 pm

Thanks for the clarification!

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:17 pm

youre welcome guys !

Kansas was indeed a sad show, many time worse in fact than Omaha the next day.

But even on this day he showed his, always present, humor (which was also the truth in this case) when after after a long false start of Blue Christmas he halts the song and says " We had a rehearsel last week" .... (pause) ..... "But i didn't show up" and starts smiling.

I wonder if even 1 person in the audience that night realised that he was seriously telling the truth. It reminds me of the intro of Are You Lonesome Tonight from Omaha (".... and I am, and I was ...") or the spoken part during the same song in Rapid City (the ad-libs). 10.000's of people in attandence, and nobody saw or heard his cry for help :roll:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On Stage shot Kansas City:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the backstage pic goes. I've brought that up on another forum a few days ago as I'm convinced the pic is indeed from either March or April '77 (either Norman, OK March 26th 1977 or Ann Arbor, MI April 24th 1977) and certainly not from Kansas City.

Re: Kansas City 77

Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:14 pm

administrator wrote:If you go through the picture of the week on this site you'll eventually find one. Personally I don't believe the picture with Jackie was taken in June '77 at all. He has more the look of the April '77 tour.

FECC Team

You may be right - time for a date change on another photo ;-)

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:46 am

The footage shows his extreme difficulty in moving.
At one stage he mentions his `new suit' which he said was made a bit narrow and mentions that he may turn blue, which may be his only veiled reference on stage to his weight problem.
It seems to be on par with the Omaha show, though I've only seen first part of the show.
He was certainly in better form later in the tour.
rick

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:06 am

stefan kock wrote:It reminds me of the intro of Are You Lonesome Tonight from Omaha (".... and I am, and I was ...")

That was from Rapid City and not Omaha.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:55 pm

Rob, thanks for the clarification. It's been a while since I saw the footage.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:40 pm

I have a complete audience recording of this show.. (and I also have the 8mm footage)
The first part of the show is extremely slow.. I can understand the fact that some people got impatient.. (But why would anybody leave?)

Elvis finishes with an impressive version of Hurt (same as Indy..) and a thunderous Hound dog ending. His closing speech is moving and gets an ovation from the Kansas City crowd.

In June, most shows suffer from lenghty breaks and puzzling monologues.. Including Omaha and Rapid City.

Cheers, RJ

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:41 pm

You only have to look at his face to see the backstage shot is not from Kansas City; he looked very swollen in his face (and body) in KC - in the backstage shot with Kahane he looks pretty good. I too have the show on video and indeed it is sad, he is actually worse here than he was in Omaha the next day. And of course the suit wasn't new, maybe that was his way of trying to explain his appearance...

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:06 pm

I have made the date change;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... 61877.html

So the photo with Jackie Kahane is sometime during the April/May 1977 tour on either April 24th, April 29th or May 1st

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:30 am

I believe the photo with Jackie Kahane was taken on the April/May tour. Elvis doesn't look heavy enough for it to be June. And his styled hair would seem to rule out March. In March Elvis still had the sort of disheveled hairstyle with the big triangle sideburns.

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:34 am

You know, I have to feel for EP when looking at these photo's. I know when I put on weight, or don't look or feel good, I get discouraged. I can't imagine what a man who looked like he did only a few years earlier, felt like his last couple of years in regards to his physical appearance.