Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

College Park '74 Candid!

Post by thefunkyangel »

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/college74.html
Thanks Paul, for uploading this image! It is, like always, very much appreciated! Cheers!

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Joe Car »

I love this photo, is this from that infamous night? Look at the guys faces, no smiles at all.

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Scatter »

For all the infamy of that show, I've never heard it............is it as bad as represented??? Is it true he was told never to return??

Rob

Post by Rob »

It is by far the worst show I've ever heard. Not necessarily because of the quality of the songs performed (even though much of it was pretty bad), but because of all the useless banter with the band and the audience. He humiliated Glen D. that night during his piano solo and was damn lucky he didn't get up and walk off of the stage. Now this is my opinion only. I do not play this very often and would never let a non-fan hear it.

It was quite known at the time that they had no intention of ever having him back.

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Thomas »

It is by far the worst show I've ever heard
It was bad, however to me, worst show ever was August 1st 1976 AS, Hampton Roads.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

Rob wrote:It is by far the worst show I've ever heard. Not necessarily because of the quality of the songs performed (even though much of it was pretty bad), but because of all the useless banter with the band and the audience. He humiliated Glen D. that night during his piano solo and was damn lucky he didn't get up and walk off of the stage. Now this is my opinion only. I do not play this very often and would never let a non-fan hear it.

It was quite known at the time that they had no intention of ever having him back.
I was shocked when I heard College park for the first time :shock:
To me, definately the worst show ever.

But strangely the show seems well received by the audience..
Also, I must admit I kinda like his closing speech that evening.

Cheers, RJ

paulsweeney

Post by paulsweeney »

Robert wrote:
Rob wrote:It is by far the worst show I've ever heard. Not necessarily because of the quality of the songs performed (even though much of it was pretty bad), but because of all the useless banter with the band and the audience. He humiliated Glen D. that night during his piano solo and was damn lucky he didn't get up and walk off of the stage. Now this is my opinion only. I do not play this very often and would never let a non-fan hear it.

I was shocked when I heard College park for the first time :shock:
To me, definately the worst show ever.

But strangely the show seems well received by the audience..
Also, I must admit I kinda like his closing speech that evening.

Cheers, RJ
The show was a 1974 low point for sure. You wouldn't tell from the photo - he looks quite good, sometimes a picture doesn't speak a 1000 words.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Guys,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the REALLY bad show from College park was the day before on the 27th, for which Elvis wore the peackock suit, and the show on the 28th, which Elvis wore the Rainbow suit was better?

I also always understood they let it be known he wouldn't be welcome back.

I also read that on the 27th, Elvis actually fell out of the limo. If this pic is indeed from the 27th, that would explain the serious look on the guy's faces!

paulsweeney

Post by paulsweeney »

This photo is from the 28th, and if you listen to the show on the CD Broken Finger recorded on the 28th, he should not have been on stage that night, I hate to say.

FVH
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by FVH »

DarrylMac wrote:Guys,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the REALLY bad show from College park was the day before on the 27th, for which Elvis wore the peackock suit, and the show on the 28th, which Elvis wore the Rainbow suit was better?

I also always understood they let it be known he wouldn't be welcome back.

I also read that on the 27th, Elvis actually fell out of the limo. If this pic is indeed from the 27th, that would explain the serious look on the guy's faces!
27th is supposed to be far worse than 28th, and apparently College Park let it be known that they would prefer if he never came back after these "concerts". The few pics I have seen from the 27th, when he, as you say, wore the Peacock, are horrible.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

If I'm not mistaken a book will come out shortly covering the College Park subject..

Also Houston'76 and some other questionable shows will be part of it. Title: "Elvis concert myths"

For example.. College Park was a true disaster 4 sure..
But Indianapolis wasn't that bad, just uninspired..

Cheers, RJ

deadringer
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

College Park

Post by deadringer »

Hm, having heard complete 77 minute show from 27.09.74 I cannot say at all that this is worse show than the day after. In fact it is about the same. Some solid performances, some very subpar ones pls. strange comments from Elvis too.

The story about College Park management not wanting Elvis back is nonsense. Same old lie as Asheville audience being cold and not applaud to Elvis shows there. Both College park shows were success and audience loved Elvis as usually, no matter how good or bad he was.

Scott Hayward

Re: College Park '74 Candid!

Post by Scott Hayward »

A couple of shots from September 27th 1974...and yes, you guessed it, from microfilm, so the quality is what it is...but I hadn't seen these particular shots before...and may I say he does NOT look good!
koe.jpg

dansmithjr
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by dansmithjr »

The arena is called Cole Field House, in College Park, Maryland. It is on the University of Maryland campus. No big deal, just wanted to make the correction. The Maryland basketball team played there from 1955 to 2002. I have heard the show, I don't think it was that bad, especially compared to many 1976 shows.

charlierich

Topic author
thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

Good to see a 3 year old post of mine bumped back to the top (by Scott) :lol:

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

The Hampton Roads show is poor because Elvis was going on "two hours sleep," in his own words. Based on what we now know about his insomnia, I don't doubt his explanation. He was trying, but he had no voice.

On the other hand, the attitude he displays in Vegas and on tour in the latter part of '74 would seem to be more than just the result of fatigue. It has been alleged that he was doing cocaine at this time. The audio tapes don't appear to rule it out. He was arrogant, mean and defiant. Elvis never acted out like that before, at least not in front of his fans and the general public.

As for the College Park photo, the expressions of the guys' faces say it all. It was a tough time.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

mrbthebarber
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by mrbthebarber »

I have the 28th show but where can I find the 27th please?

"Growing old is mandatory...........growing up is optional ;-) "

elvisa
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by elvisa »

mrbthebarber wrote:I have the 28th show but where can I find the 27th please?
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/chaos.htm

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

elvisjock wrote:The Hampton Roads show is poor because Elvis was going on "two hours sleep," in his own words. Based on what we now know about his insomnia, I don't doubt his explanation. He was trying, but he had no voice.

On the other hand, the attitude he displays in Vegas and on tour in the latter part of '74 would seem to be more than just the result of fatigue. It has been alleged that he was doing cocaine at this time. The audio tapes don't appear to rule it out. He was arrogant, mean and defiant. Elvis never acted out like that before, at least not in front of his fans and the general public.

As for the College Park photo, the expressions of the guys' faces say it all. It was a tough time.
Your posts are always well said, honest and fair, as a fan I appreciate that! Thanks E-jock!

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Joe Car wrote:
elvisjock wrote:The Hampton Roads show is poor because Elvis was going on "two hours sleep," in his own words. Based on what we now know about his insomnia, I don't doubt his explanation. He was trying, but he had no voice.

Your posts are always well said, honest and fair, as a fan I appreciate that! Thanks E-jock!
Thankyouverymuch.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Scott Hayward wrote:A couple of shots from September 27th 1974... he does NOT look good!
No, and the weight gain since closing in Las Vegas just three weeks earlier, as reported by Hopkins in Elvis: The Final Years, is VERY apparent. I took a lot of grief a while back over this -- and yet, the proof's in the pudding.

elvisjock wrote:On the other hand, the attitude he displays in Vegas and on tour in the latter part of '74 would seem to be more than just the result of fatigue. It has been alleged that he was doing cocaine at this time. The audio tapes don't appear to rule it out. He was arrogant, mean and defiant. Elvis never acted out like that before, at least not in front of his fans and the general public.

GREAT post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:A couple of shots from September 27th 1974... he does NOT look good!
No, and the weight gain since closing in Las Vegas just three weeks earlier, as reported by Hopkins in Elvis: The Final Years, is VERY apparent. I took a lot of grief a while back over this -- and yet, the proof's in the pudding.

elvisjock wrote:On the other hand, the attitude he displays in Vegas and on tour in the latter part of '74 would seem to be more than just the result of fatigue. It has been alleged that he was doing cocaine at this time. The audio tapes don't appear to rule it out. He was arrogant, mean and defiant. Elvis never acted out like that before, at least not in front of his fans and the general public.

GREAT post.
Thank you.

The photo brings to mind the Candidly Elvis thread currently running. One of my other "first" Elvis books was Lichter's The Boy Who Dared To Rock, and I just thought Elvis looked super-cool in that backstage photo. I don't think I knew about the College Park story until I read about iit n the Hopkins book, so I wouldn't have made the connection in '78 and '79, when I absorbed Lichter's book.

drjohncarpenter

I had that book as well -- still do, somewhere -- and I felt the same way about that backstage pic. Little did we know ... "many a people ,,,"

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I had that book as well -- still do, somewhere -- and I felt the same way about that backstage pic. Little did we know ... "many a people ,,,"
"I'll go back to the dressing room and play with my foot."

drjohncarpenter

THAT was actually one of the better quips.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.