Post here your Elvis' pictures

Sat May 06, 2006 11:45 am

My guess Steve 55'..great pictures..thanks...

PEP 8)

Sat May 06, 2006 11:05 pm

I've seen the first image before -- something tells me Feb '55. But I'll try to find verification for you.

DJC

Sat May 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Awesome pics. I hadn't seen either of those before. I would guess 1955, as well.

Sun May 07, 2006 4:50 pm

You-re right Steve, they're 1955 although 1956 is coming up fast.

That's the Andrew Jackson Room at the Andrew Jackson Hotel in Nashville, Tn.
The occasion: 4th Country Music Disc Jockey Convention.
The date: November 10-11, 1955.
This is where Mae Boren Axton supposedly played the demo of Heartbreak Hotel for Elvis

Sincerely
Brian

http://www.brian56.dk

http://www.fly.to/brian56

Sun May 07, 2006 10:10 pm

Guys, this is the most important 'historical' candids to be uploaded in - a - long - while! Congratulations goes to Steve_M and bripet56 for his most valuable unformation! Cheers!

Sun May 07, 2006 10:21 pm

bripet56 wrote:That's the Andrew Jackson Room at the Andrew Jackson Hotel in Nashville, Tn. The occasion: 4th Country Music Disc Jockey Convention. The date: November 10-11, 1955. This is where Mae Boren Axton supposedly played the demo of Heartbreak Hotel for Elvis ...

Brian, I'm trying to figure where the first image was published. Any idea?

DJC

Sun May 07, 2006 10:28 pm

bripet56 wrote:This is where Mae Boren Axton supposedly played the demo of Heartbreak Hotel for Elvis


And that is Mae in that first pic, isn't it ?

Sun May 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Steve_M wrote:Yes Colin, as far as I know that is Mae.


How about a little trivia ?

Mae wrote Heartbreak Hotel with Tommy Durden, but a third writer declined to contribute.

Who was it, why didn't they contribute and how was it they got involved anyway ?

Tommy Durden cut the first demo of it but they didn't use it - why ?

Sun May 07, 2006 11:40 pm

Glad I could exite you guys out there :lol:

You know you probably got more pix from that event, don't you! The ones of Elvis with something like a ticket sticking up from his chest-pocket on his jacket. With an elderly lady in the pic. And the one of Hank Snow with Elvis (ticket in pocket) holding out some sort of large advertisement for Hank Snow.

I'm not so sure this is Mae Boren Axton though. I won't say it isn't, I'm just not so sure.

Sincerely
Brian

http://www.brian56.dk

http://www.fly.to/brian56

Mon May 08, 2006 12:19 am

Only got a very bad copy on my PC, but then at least you know which ones I mean.

My imageshack doesn't work properly tonight but I try anyway. Hope this works
Image


Sincerely
Brian

http://www.brian56.dk

http://www.fly.to/brian56

Mon May 08, 2006 1:05 am

he was there two days, Nov 10 and 11.

Gitta hit th ebed now, it's past midnight and have to ge up 5:45 again

Sincerely
Brian

http://www.brian56.dk

http://www.fly.to/brian56

Mon May 08, 2006 8:05 am

bripet56 wrote:he was there two days, Nov 10 and 11. Gitta hit th ebed now, it's past midnight and have to ge up 5:45 again Sincerely Brian http://www.brian56.dk http://www.fly.to/brian56


sh*t Brian/ Steve_M, are you two guys going to sleep again, man :roll:! You're always sleeping :lol:! Now get your arse' back to that hard drive and show us some more pix from Nov. 10/11th '55 :lol:! No one sleeps around here, until we go through every single candid :lol:! Cheers!

Mon May 08, 2006 12:39 pm

Funky, I'm truly sorry I had to catch some sleep. But you know, this old body just craves an average 5-6 hours of sleep. Every D- - - night! You know, I'd rather sit here discussing Elvis with you guys and gals around the world.

Well, I don't think I have much more to upload in this matter as my scanner has gone to the great resting-place for over-used scanners. I know there is at least one more photo from same date as the one I posted. With another lady. And then there is the photo of Elvis and Hank Snow. I believe the advertisement Elvis holds in this pic is placed on an elephant. I don't recall where I have seen the pic but it might be one of them old Country & Western magazines from 1955.

Steve, I don't recall having seen other pix in those clothes as the two you posted.

Sincerely
Brian

http://www.brian56.dk

http://www.fly.to/brian56

Mon May 08, 2006 1:30 pm

bripet56 wrote:Funky, I'm truly sorry I had to catch some sleep. But you know, this old body just craves an average 5-6 hours of sleep. Every D- - - night! You know, I'd rather sit here discussing Elvis with you guys and gals around the world. Well, I don't think I have much more to upload in this matter as my scanner has gone to the great resting-place for over-used scanners. I know there is at least one more photo from same date as the one I posted. With another lady. And then there is the photo of Elvis and Hank Snow. I believe the advertisement Elvis holds in this pic is placed on an elephant. I don't recall where I have seen the pic but it might be one of them old Country & Western magazines from 1955. Steve, I don't recall having seen other pix in those clothes as the two you posted.
Sincerely Brian http://www.brian56.dk http://www.fly.to/brian56


Oh, there you are :lol:! Good to see you up, my man! Remember these? I just ripped them off eBay, for your viewing/ storing pleasure!
ImageImage

Mon May 08, 2006 1:46 pm

I wrote:
How about a little trivia ?

Mae wrote Heartbreak Hotel with Tommy Durden, but a third writer declined to contribute.

Who was it, why didn't they contribute and how was it they got involved anyway ?

Tommy Durden cut the first demo of it but they didn't use it - why ?


Well, since there are no takers, I might as well give the answer.

The singer/songwriter Glen Reeves was the third writer who refused to help with the writing saying "That's the silliest title I ever heard !"

Mae thought the Tommy Durden demo was "too sweet and gentle" and that the song needed more 'edge' to it.

Glen Reeves got involved in the end when they persuaded him to cut the demo which Mae [eventually] played to Elvis.

Steve M wrote:
...whoever recorded the demo Elvis heard recorded it in the style to which they thought Elvis would sound.
When Elvis recorded it he didn't know that and tried to copy the voice on the demo.


That's a nice story, Steve, but how does that tally with the fact that Mae first offered the song to The Wilburn Brothers who turned it down ?

Is it possible that it was the Tommy Durden version she played to the Wilburn Brothers, and after they rejected it, she then got Glen Reeves to do a more
'Elvisy' vocal on it to pitch the song to our boy ?

Image
Elvis with The Wilburn Brothers.

undated

Mon May 08, 2006 4:27 pm

... The photo with Mae Boren [yes, its her] appeared for the 1st time,

on page 28, of my book Long Lonely Highway, back in 85... I had the

other one as well, but didnt use it, in the book, cause I didnt think he

looked cool, with the flat curly hair :oops:

Bought both candids from a lady in texas. They are not that rare, really.

Must admit, at the time, I didnt know the background info, on both candids.

Mon May 08, 2006 4:39 pm

Thanks Funky for those two pix from Germany but you forgot the third in b/w :lol:

Thanks Ger, for pointing out that it is indeed Mae Boren Axton in the pic. As I said, I wasn't sure.

Sincerely
Brian

http://www.brian56.dk

http://www.fly.to/brian56

Re: undated

Mon May 08, 2006 9:29 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... The photo with Mae Boren [yes, its her] appeared for the 1st time, on page 28, of my book Long Lonely Highway, back in 85...

That's where I remember this image from! Thanks for the info.

GREAT book, of course.

DJC

undated

Mon May 08, 2006 10:09 pm

... Steve, my man, just a quickie on the 2 1955 candids: As far backas

the mid 50s, when the first EP fanclubs started, fans started trading

candids. The lady in Texas, got the above mentioned shots, from a

fellow collector, circa 1980. She had various copies made [ her father

was in to photography] and sold these for a buck a piece. It didnt

take long, before other fans copied them. And before you know,

they are all over the world... With most early candids, the photographer[s]

are unknown. So theres no copyright problem there. Even if there

was, nobody in Elvis land took notice!

By the way, Steve, I hope you will stay on this site, as long as you

can. You are very much appreciated! 8)