Post here your Elvis' pictures

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Nice Little Sister, another pic I hadn´t seen before, the last one of yours. The first two of yours come from the same date as the one I posted on Friday Apr 07, 2006 10:19 pm.
I don´t think these are from August 12 as Elvis wears a light blue shirt in conrary to a dark blue shirt on the 12th. See Funkys initial posting in this thread.

The last one of your pix is from August 17, 1969 as is the last in Funkys initial post.

Sincerely
Brian

http://www.brian56.dk

http://www.fly.to/brian56

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:29 pm

Yes of course, you are right Brian, thanks!! Its nice to put a date on some of these 1969-photos, way too many of them are sitting in my computer without one.

Funky, a few more to go with yours

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Note Priscilla in the last one. They all seem to be taken at the gate and at the steps of Graceland. Do anyone have a date for them. Or maybe some of them without the text or in better version. If so, please post!

Has the dog tag Elvis is wearing been shown anywhere after his death? It would b einteresting to see what was on it. Could this be the one with the tree and the names of all of the guys on it?

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:03 pm

DJC

The quote from your post is from Jerry Hopkins book Elvis The Final Years.Made by Hopkins on the first or second page

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Paulone - I think the doc is half right. I'm sure the quote was by Sonny West, printed in Jerry's book, The Final Years. I'm fairly sure, though, that the quote was regarding Elvis in Aloha From Hawaii. Sonny had been saying how Elvis got in shape, swam, got a tan, and took car of business, and was thin as a rake and more handsome / handsomer than 10 movie stars.

I'll dig out the book and double check.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:05 pm

DarrylMac wrote:...I'm fairly sure, though, that the quote was regarding Elvis in Aloha From Hawaii...

No, siree. The comment was made regarding Elvis's appearance in Las Vegas.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:57 pm

Little Sister, # 1, 4 and 7 are from out in Las Vegas August 1969 I believe.

All the other pix (except the one with Priscilla maybe) were shot at the Graceland grounds on July 4, 1969

I´m doing a little behind-the-photos story on the summer of 1969 using old articles from Elvis Monthly and mainly stories from Gary Pepper.

Look for it to be aired later in the day or no later than tomorrow.

Sincerely
Brian

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:29 pm

Khoots,

Elvis appearance in Vegas 1969 wasn't covered in The Final Years, as this book picked up the story in 1970.

The confusion comes, I think, because for some reason, there is a pic from the 69 press conference in the book, and this quote is used as the caption.

In the book, the quote is definitely about Elvis appreance in Aloha.

Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:12 am

DarrylMac wrote:Paulone - I think the doc is half right. I'm sure the quote was by Sonny West, printed in Jerry's book, The Final Years. I'm fairly sure, though, that the quote was regarding Elvis in Aloha From Hawaii. Sonny had been saying how Elvis got in shape, swam, got a tan, and took car of business, and was thin as a rake and more handsome / handsomer than 10 movie stars.

I'll dig out the book and double check.

I thought Sonny made that same comment for both the Vegas comeback and Aloha in his book.

Re: August 12th, 1969 Candids!

Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:41 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Elvis hidden away inside the confines of Las Vegas' International Hotel!

ImageImage
ImageImage

The bottom two images may be from another evening!

ImageImage

.. to be continued!

Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:01 am

Just like the last (directly above) image I uploaded, here are some more new ones!

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

The last one is a taste of things to come, pertaining to the 29th!

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:19 am

Just made a site on the story behind some of the photos of Elvis at the Graceland Grounds in the SUmmer of 1969.

For those who don´t know who Gary Pepper was I can say that he lived near Graceland, his daddy was one of the guards at the gate. Gary had cerebral palsy and Elvis took a real liking to this guy.

Gary wrote for the English fan club magazine Elvis Monthly and provided the fans all over the world with very precise information about what Elvis was doing when he was back at Graceland in the late 60's and early 70's and provided the magazine with lots of rare photos of Elvis.

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:48 am

Awesome update (as always)! One question, was Presley visiting with Tom Jones at the Flamingo, on the 19th?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:17 am

My understanding is that these photos are when Presley visited Jones in mid-June, prior to opening his show on 31 July. Can anyone confirm? Look at that tan! Whooo.

Oh yeah, the "dog tag" you see in those blue shirt pics is actually a "tree of life" medallion given to him circa 1965 by the "Memphis Mafia" guys. All their names are on it as "branches," and Elvis is the "tree." Elvis loved the gift and you can see him wearing it at many points through the years after.

DJC

Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:29 am

I have a huge batch of both colour and b/w shots of Elvis (and his entourage) socializing with Frank and Nancy Sinatra, on the night of the 29th! Now, all of a sudden, I have concluded that Presley was out socializing on yet, another night towards the end of his engagement! Note, the difference in Vern' attire!

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:20 am

Very nice pictures, really like these last two.

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Thin as a rake and handsomer than ten movie stars."
- Sonny West on Elvis in August 1969

Sonny got it right.

DJC

Okay guy's now I'm getting confused. Lets clear this one up now.

"Elvis What Happened"

Sonny recalls that the satellite special seen by a billion people throughout the world was a crowning glory for Presleys talent and for the Colonel's. After all. if successful promotion is gauged by the size of the audience, the satellite special had to be the greatest show on earth in the history of show business or any other business."Man we were going through tough times" says Sonny. "Elvis's diet was going mad. He would eat whole gigantic cakes all by himself. He would get mad at us after he ate the stuff and if we hid it from him he would get mad again. He was very fat and had a lot of problems with his stomach, which just quit working.His body wasn't working.The pills were doing all the work and yet when that television special came up he dropped down to one hundred sixty five pounds, thin as a rake and more handsome than 10 movie stars.

Italianjob

Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:06 pm

Italian Job,

Thanks, that's the quote I was thinking of. It's re-produced in Elvis - the final years too.

As I said, the quote is used to caption pic of Elvis at the 69 press conference, but is used out of context.

Cheers!

Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:20 am

thefunkyangel wrote:August 21st, 1969

Notice Joe Esposito (#1 image) over to the right!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I firmly believe the last two images are from another evening!

. . to be continued!

ImageImage

Elvis wore that belt out a few times, #1 image! Even as early as the July/ August '69!

Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:28 am

Here's one more . .

Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:01 pm

and one more photo that fits in nicely.
August 1969, Las Vegas

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 pm

Melanie, thanks a million, for uploading that awesome image! Cheers!

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:22 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:Melanie, thanks a million, for uploading that awesome image! Cheers!

You are welcome. I am far from the amount of photos that you guys and gals are sharing, but I am always happy to be able to contribute at least one picture. Anyway sorry for the sh*t that's written on it. I was hoping maybe somebody has it w/o. But at least now we can see what belt he was wearing that day.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:12 pm

Melanie wrote:Anyway sorry for the sh*t that's written on it. I was hoping maybe somebody has it w/o.

I´m pretty sure somebody has to have that photo without that text on it.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:05 am

Steve_M wrote:The Doc was correct ...

Thanks for confirming what most should already know about me.

Otherwise, it seems this image, posted above ...

... was taken in Jan/Feb 1970. Look at his sideburn.

And can anyone pinpoint those Tom Jones pics?

DJC