Post here your Elvis' pictures

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks Ger. Of course, that's where I've seen the photo of Elvis on stage at the Eagle's Nest. When I visited with Ernst. I should have remembered but memory is not as it used to be. Think I need a new memory-stick to the harddrive.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:02 pm

Stan from Tintane wrote:earliest photo of elvis ON STAGE is the winners awards ceremony at the tupelo fairgrounds in 1945

Stan, "on stage" 100% implies a performance shot, in the same way that On Stage - February 1970 (RCA LSP-4362) is an album of Elvis singing, not accepting an award.

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Doc, have you not renewed your subscription on Elvis, The Man And His Music, lately? The one youve never seen before: Overton Park, July 54, was featured on the cover, in color, a few issues ago ...

I've been with TMAHM since Dec '88 and Issue #1. My Overton comment was posted in April. I have since been privvy to some wonderful images taken at the Shell that day.

The Eagle's Nest shot is undated in the current MAHM #74.

Thus, the October 16, 1954 "Hayride" image remains our earliest known example.

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:41 pm

This one is cropped differently, and it's in color, but I believe it's the same picture that Colin
posted earlier on this thread. Looks a little better in color... From October 16th, 1954.

Courtesy of Sheila/TCB-World

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:45 pm

J wrote:This one is cropped differently, and it's in color, but I believe it's the same picture that Colin
posted earlier on this thread. Looks a little better in color... From October 16th, 1954.

Hey, that is an improvement !

Is that a genuine colour pic ?

Looks like it.......

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:08 am

ColinB wrote:
J wrote:This one is cropped differently, and it's in color, but I believe it's the same picture that Colin

Hey, that is an improvement !

Is that a genuine colour pic ?

Looks like it.......

Courtesy of TCB? I don't think so.

It's taken from Memphis Recording Service Vol. 1 (pg. 55/56). I do believe that it is coloured - and they did that in a marvelous way as I may say.

Joern

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:57 am

Yes it sure is and the others that are on there are fantastic, Elvis looks about 12 :lol:

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:38 am

That is one awesome picture J. Thanks for the post! 8)

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:26 am

ColinB wrote:Is that a genuine colour pic ?

Absolutely not.

In fact, it's a textbook example of ruining a classic image with modern colourization software. If it comes from the MRS book, I'm not surprised.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:41 am

Hey Doc...........the '50's weren't ACTUALLY in black and white, y'know :lol:

That pic is a great example of skillful colorizing. The original pic isn't ruined, since the only copy wasn't destroyed to make the new version. One can still see the original. This one doesn't detract from it, and to deny that the work done on it is stellar is to spit into the wind. It's damn good work.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:58 am

Scatter wrote:... to deny that the work done on it is stellar is to spit into the wind.

"Stellar"?

Well, some people think a pile of fresh cow dung smells good, too.

It's doubtful Elvis wore a pink coat, yellow slacks and a flaming red bow tie that night, or Scotty and Bill had on matching bright blue pants. And our little trio certainly didn't share the same skin tone, either.

Unless the "artist" knows what the actual colors were, and has any artistic sensibility -- both lacking by the MRS crew -- it really is a pointless and pathetic exercise, period.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:09 am

Well, to each his own. I think it's a good job, and you like Bill Hicks. :lol: :wink:

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:23 pm

Here, we can compare the Hayride stage signs with an authentic color photo [below].
Looks like they got some colors wrong in the top photo !

Thanks to the Doc for pointing out this wasn't an authentic color pic.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:16 am

ColinB wrote:Thanks to the Doc for pointing out this wasn't an authentic color pic.

And thank you, Colin, for underscoring my main point -- hack colourization of BxW photos, like those done by the MRS crew, is a waste of any true fan's time and money.