Post here your Elvis' pictures

Little Sister/ Brian - please read!

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Since I have (well I assume I have!) the entire series of these shots, I'll only upload one of each! Do anyone of you know the date/ place! ?

ImageImageImageImageImage

More to come ..

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Hi Funky!!

I feel honoured that you ask me for help, and I will try the best I can. But I am sure Brian could tell you everything about them, but this might save him some typing. :D

I believe that the first two are taken at theHotel in Hollywood, on August 18th. So two days after th ephotos I posted before, with Elvis at the Hollywood airport. Note that he is still wearing his Elvis-belt buckle.

The third one, I don't know... But I hope somebody else do, as these are some of my favourites.

Number four is from July 1st, backstage of the Steve Allen show. Note the hat and the shirt, same as he wears in the bowboy-act on the show.

The last one is from Buffalo, NY, April 1st, 1957. Brian dated that one for me a while back.

Please feel free to post the rest of these photos too. I, for one, would love to see them!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:14 am

Little Sister, I swear, you are worth a million dollars! I cut and pasted the shots in their already dated sub/ folders and found that evrything you said matched up ie clothing attire etc! I will gladly upload anything you want!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:13 am

Little Sister, here is the other shot you were after (ie. third shot)

LS, do you know anything about this one! Vegas '56 engagement, perhaps!

Press Conference

Recording Session

Thanks, in advance!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:55 am

Little Sister, I found out (after much studying!) the date for the last picture! It is indeed, April 14th at the old 1525 McGavock St. recording studio in Nashville!

Here is an alternate from the signing of the movie contract, dated April 25th '56! Is there anymore out there, as this has only been the first time I have seen an alternate!

I also have a series of candids, pertaining to San Antonio @ April 22nd, if you have not already seen these! Man, 'April 1956' was one sure busy month, what with the screen - test on the 1st, and the Vegas engagement at the end!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:44 am

If I am not mistaken, then this shot was taken (at home, on the 18th) three days after finishing his October tour (Corpus Christi, Texas - 15th!)

It also was the day before the court appearance!

ImageImage

Re: Little Sister/ Brian - please read!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:14 am

There are loads more photos especially on top of that building from a large coffee table book - can't recall the title, might just be Elvis (at work right now can't check).

thefunkyangel wrote:Since I have (well I assume I have!) the entire series of these shots, I'll only upload one of each! Do anyone of you know the date/ place! ?

ImageImageImageImageImage

More to come ..

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:25 am

thefunkyangel wrote:
Recording Session

Thanks, in advance!

Isn't this shot from Septmeber 1, 1956 out at Radio Recorders Hollywood. Its definitely from the Sep. 1956 sessions for the 2nd LP, since the Jordanaires are present, and they first worked with him inside a studio on July 2nd, 1956.

Thanks for posting the shots, funky. Keep 'em coming!!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:26 am

This are some excellent pics :D

little

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:17 pm

... Photos from mail#4 : Top, just a guess, Feb/ march 56? the quiff kinda reminds me of the Dorsey show... The bare chest is in his Vegas hotel room, white sportscoat: Portland, sept 57, With Jords, Radio Recorders, sept 56.

... Posing bare chested is on the roof of the Knickerbocker hotel, aug 18, photographer; Ed Braslaff. The first time photos from this shoot saw print, was in Elvis Answers Back magazine. It came with the cardboard Truth About Me record...

The San Antonio candids... I have a set, mostlly backstage, and 1 of him on stage. Theres also snapshot of two girls posing. One is Kay Wheeler, who was in charge of the EP fanclub in Dallas... Are those the ones?

llittle

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:23 pm

... Missing, sitting next to EP, is Debra Paget. On a horizontal print, Debra is very much visible! [ Wallis publicity shot] .

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:59 pm

Mike C wrote:
thefunkyangel wrote:
Recording Session

Thanks, in advance!

Isn't this shot from Septmeber 1, 1956 out at Radio Recorders Hollywood. Its definitely from the Sep. 1956 sessions for the 2nd LP, since the Jordanaires are present, and they first worked with him inside a studio on July 2nd, 1956.

Thanks for posting the shots, funky. Keep 'em coming!!

Thanks for the correct date, Mike C! I always love to be corrected (sincerely said!) Cheers! Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff, thank you too, man! That's what I love about this forum - positive input!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:48 pm

Man, I gotta stop being away from here more than a day at the time :lol:
Hard to keep up with all great discussions.

Most of the answers have been given here already´thanks to Little Sister, Tallhair and Mike C so I´ll just sum up:
1st batch of photos.
# 1+2 from top of Knickerbocker Hotel, Hollywood, August 18, 1956. The book is called 1956 Reflections.
#3, Audubon Drive, would say June/July 1956 as we first see him in this shirt in late June tour.
#4, July 1, 1956, Steve Allen rehearsal in New York
#5, April 1, 1957 in Buffalo, NY

2nd batch of photos:
#1. same as #3 in batch 1.
#2, Las vegas hotel room, April/May 1956.
#3, Sept 2, 1957, Portland, Or.
#4, Sept 1, 1956. Radio Recorders Studio.

3rd post with photo:
April 6, 1956

4th batch of photos:
#1, Oct 18, 1956 with Barbara Hearn as correctly stated.
#2+3, Oct 19, 1956 trial after Elvis got into fight at Gas Station.

And last but not least:
Elvis didn´t do his screen-test on April 1, 1956. Don´t know why this has always been reported. April 1, 1956 was Easter Sunday which Elvis spent at home on Audubon Drive with his parents. On April 2nd he flew out to Hollywood. Not to do his screen-test but for the Milton Berle show. By this time the screen-test was a week old.

After Elvis´ last Dorsey appearance on March 24 he flew out to Hollywood and the screen-tests took place on March 26-27. He flew back home to Memphis on the 28th.

Sincerely
Brian

http://www.brian56.dk

http://www.fly.to/brian56

Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks Brian, I don't know what I'd do without you! I'll upload some more images for you, this afternoon, when I come from work! Cheers!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:50 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:Little Sister, I swear, you are worth a million dollars! I cut and pasted the shots in their already dated sub/ folders and found that evrything you said matched up ie clothing attire etc! I will gladly upload anything you want!

Hehe... well I'm just glad that I could help!! :D

thefunkyangel wrote:I also have a series of candids, pertaining to San Antonio @ April 22nd, if you have not already seen these!

I would love to see these!! I don't have any photos from this date (well not dated anyway)... just a scan of the Souvenir program from the concert.

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Missing, sitting next to EP, is Debra Paget. On a horizontal print, Debra is very much visible! [ Wallis publicity shot] .

Are you serious? This is Debra Paget? :shock: Wow, then she looks a lot different with the make up on.

More photos from this event:
Image Image Image

Brian, you dated these pix as April, 6. Elvis Day by Day says that he was in San Diegeo on that date, flying to Las Vegas in the evening. So did this meeting take place in San Diego? Or are they wrong? (btw, I just noticed the new pic on your flashback-page on the Holiday Ice party. Nice!!)

I never knew that the photo of Elvi and Barbara by the piano was taken on October 18, thanks a bunch!! Here are two more from this date:
Image Image
and a close up of the last one

Funky, for you I uploaded a few more photos from the September, 1 session. :D Enjoy!!
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Are there any more out there?

More of the bare chest at the Frontier Hotel 8)
Image Image Image Image Image

Also, one more photo of Elvis in court.

Funky - I would love to see all the photos you have of Elvis, live at the Cotton Bowl, in Dallas, TX on October 11. I just have 3 ticketscans, a newspaper clippin' and 3 photos of him live. I would love to see more!! Also, if you have anything of him from his short tour in November. I'd love to see more from that too.

Have a good one!!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:32 am

Tomorrow I'm leaving for the weekend, so I'm leaving you with some photos to date for me (and anyone else interested)

This one is one of my all time favourites. So if anyone could date this one, I would be forever greatful!! Elvis (and the women actually) looks so cool!! And the women look like they have a really good time.. :D

Little Rock - May 16?

Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

With country & western singer Justin Tibb. February?
Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image

I know that this one used to be on the Memphis Commercial Appeal's website, and they stated that it was Elvis reading his fanmail at the newspapers office. Or something of that sort...

Image Image

Sorry if I got carried away and posted too many... :oops:

I hope somebody can help me with these. Have a good weekend now everyone!!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:48 am

Great pix Little Sister. Never saw that one from Las Vegas in colour.

About Elvis signing movie contract on April 6 in Hollywood. The news was printed in papers on April 10, 1956 that Elvis had been signed to a movie contract. It said that Hal Wallis had screen tested Elvis a couple of weeks ago (March 26-27) and that he didn´t sign Elvis until he had played San Diego for three days (Milton Berle show on April 3, San Diego Arena on April 4 and 5). On April 8 Elvis started a new tour in Denver, Co.

I would never doubt what is written in Day-by-Day as Ernst and Peter had a lot more access to information than I had when I did research for my book. Either the contract was signed in San Diego (although the article says Hollywood) or Elvis went to Hollywood, signed the contract and flew to Las Vegas on April 6. Actually the book only says that Elvis flew to Las Vegas in the evening of April 6, not that he flew from San Diego.

Sincerely
Brian

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:19 am

Hope you´re not off to bed already Little Sister as I´d try and have a go on your photos.

# 1, don´t really know but would guess at either Biloxi in July 1956 or on his August tour of Florida. He wears the same belt as on his arrival to Hollywood on August 16. He wore the same belt in Biloxi.

# 2+3, I´m almost certain these are from August 56 tour of Florida. What do you say Tallhair?????

# 4, August 18, 1956, Knickerbocker Hotel, Hollywood.

# 5-10, These are from prior to June 16, 1956. They appeared in "Elvis Presley Speaks" which holds no pics from Dance Party on June 16 which a Memphis reporter like Bob Johnson surely would have included in a magazine told by himself. Possible dates are May 8-10, May 28-June 1, and June 11-15.

# 11-12, with Justin Tubb as you mention and could very well be February 1956. I have all the advertisements for those shows and could check which ones Tubb were on. Not absolutely sure both from same date.

# 13-16, May 27, 1956 Dayton Ohi.

# 17-18, Love Me Tender, The guy was the one who played in the movie "Lassie"

# 19, May 8, 1956. Elvis dropped by the Commercial Appeal city room in the late evening.

# 20-21, believe hese from last Sullivan show January 6, 1957.

Well Little Sister, hope you have a "trevlig helg" See you next week

Sincerely
Brian

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:25 am

May I say that this recent MB trend towards discussion of early Elvis photos and history -- as opposed to his "greatest tan" -- is absolutely a joy to behold. Even I'm learning new facts!

DJC

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:28 am

Same goes for me too Doc. Love our discussions and the new photos I see almost every day

Brian

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:59 am

I agree, too. I never visited this section until several weeks ago, figuring I had seen just about every photo which was available to the masses. Well, that was incorrect thinking on my part! I have found myself not only visiting this page first, but also scanning my books and other materials for other rarities. You never run out of things to learn in the Elvis world...

little sister

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:19 am

... Yes, Brian, 2and 3 are from the August/ Florida tour. #12 is him standing outside studio 50, in New York, at the time of the I Was The One/ Dorsey Show... Primo pictures, Sister!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:34 am

thanks DOC ,make me feel bad, shut up

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:34 am

Notice the difference in backgrounds - one is a theatre, the other is Wallis' office! God, doesn't Debra look creepy! Actually, it is the first time I had seen that shot!

ImageImage

I'm glad everyone is happy/ pleased with discussions pertaining to the mid - 50's candids! I too, am learning at a rapid rate! Keep it going!!

I'm sure this was taken at the Million Dollar Quartet (Carl Perkins) Session - 4/12/56

Anyone know the date! The filename mentions Memphis!

ImageImageImageImage

little sister

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:05 am

... Good morning funky! Debra is in her movie make up, and dyed hair. I believe she played the part of an Indian, in that particular movie. She also had played the role of an asian princess, around that time... Take your pick! It looks like a private screening room, and Wallis his office at the Paramount studios.

... Memphis Train station, with Anita Wood. On his way for a short tour, late 57? Hardly any sideburns... Brian?!