Post here your Elvis' pictures

THAT 2nd ALBUM COVER...

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:45 pm

... I think I have a dozen different ones from New York Photographer David B. Heght his photo shoot for the 2nd album "Elvis"... Besides the album cover, RCA used it for the covers of eps vol.1 and 2, Strictly Elvis [ frontal shot], and others for ep Perfect For Parties, and the 2 singles : Too Much and All Shook Up. Heght also made a series of close ups [head & shoulder] that were seen frequently in 50s movie type mags. But never on record covers. You can recognize a Heght by spotting the striped shirt. Elvis his outfit for that day [ July 56] was a red sportsjacket, pinkish- purple shirt, with white vertical stripes, and light grey pants. The close ups are either with or without the jacket... and very reminisent of the Steve Allen show appearance... lots of hair grease!

When I spoke to mr. Heght, over the phone, in NY, back in 89, he remembered, the colonel, after the photo shoot, came in to the studio, took with him all the rolls of film,and told Heght, RCA would pay him... Heght claims he only got paid for the Album cover, and zip zero for all the others... Sounds like the truth to me. "I only have a bl& wh print of the album cover photo. Thats all left from that day..." Sometimes, one is not too proud to be Dutch... Funky, Sister, Pep, a.o. Whatdoyouhave from that classic photo shoot?! Thanks!

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:47 pm

Interesting still is how sedate most of the images are -- a direct contrast to the kerfuffle he was causing from coast-to-coast at that time.

DJC

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:06 pm

Ger wrote: -
....the colonel, after the photo shoot, came in to the studio, took with him all the rolls of film,and told Heght, RCA would pay him... Heght claims he only got paid for the Album cover, and zip zero for all the others...

Sounds about par for the course where the colonel is concerned !

Heght should have sued................

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:37 am

I love EP'sImage

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:38 am

epa

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:07 am

just been trawling ebay and check this item number its an autographed record cover of this post

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:19 am

For some reason, in the UK, we didn't get that 2nd album sleeve pic.

We got a black & white one [but with his shirt coloured in] courtesy of The Daily Sketch [a now-long-defunct UK newspaper].

Never found out why that was.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:22 am

ColinB wrote:FWe got a black & white one [but with his shirt coloured in] courtesy of The Daily Sketch [a now-long-defunct UK newspaper].

Ah yes, Rock 'N Roll No. 2 -- IIRC, it's the one where Elvis looks totally punk rock. Bitchin'! Sadly, I cannot find a JPG scan anywhere.

DJC

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:FWe got a black & white one [but with his shirt coloured in] courtesy of The Daily Sketch [a now-long-defunct UK newspaper].

Ah yes, Rock 'N Roll No. 2 -- IIRC, it's the one where Elvis looks totally punk rock. Bitchin'! Sadly, I cannot find a JPG scan anywhere.

DJC

Could only find this b & w one.

The shirt was coloured in green and the background a garish yellow.

But his hair, face & neck left in b & w !

We were never sure what the title was, the label says Rock 'n' Roll (No.2) !

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:51 am

That's it!! Thanks, Colin.

DJC

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:01 am

How about this one, in FULL glory !

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:24 pm

Is this the recent softcover edition of the Osborne book? It's an improvement.

DJC

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:17 pm

I have the hardcover edition, and it looks like the same one--if memory serves (which is often doesn't).

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:19 pm

I never really liked these pictures. Elvis looks like the shy countryboy he no longer was... I fyou compare the covers of the 1st and the 2nd album, it is ridiculous. Here he goes from a wild untameble punk rocker, to a quiet and still country boy.

Anyway, this is what I have to offer! Enjoy!!
Image Image Image Image Image
This was Elvis with his, still not Hollywood-perfect, teeth.
Image Image Image

Is it known when these where taken? I recently borrowd a new Greta Garbo book at the library. And what I really loved about it, is that it stated when all the promotional photos where taken for each film. It would be interesting to know what date all the promotional material of Elvis were snapped!

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:01 am

Where is the cord coming out of his pickup? Did they cut a hole in the guitar, or did it come out of his guitar strap peg? Was this pickup onloy used for recording????

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:51 am

JonRomanovich wrote:Where is the cord coming out of his pickup? Did they cut a hole in the guitar, or did it come out of his guitar strap peg? Was this pickup onloy used for recording????

I was thinking the same thing. It seems like a pick up, but why would he need it at a photo session.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:04 am

Yeah it's definitely a pickup. Mine looks similar and has a 20 foot cord attached. Some mount it permanently and run the cord the the guitar strap peg. Sometimes they let the cord hang straight down, which would only be smart for recording.
Nowadays people typically mic an acoustic. I would also assum they mic'd him them too. I actually assumed his guitar was mainly picked up through the vocal mic. I have only seen a few pics from this era with a pickup, then never again.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:53 am

Little Sister you done good..... :smt031

PEP 8)

that 2nd

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:46 am

... Thank you all! So far no new ones for my eyes, though its nice to see some uncropped, like the Just For You ep cover... Little sister, the session took place sometime around the time of the Steve Allen show, as pointed out at the start of this topic... Remember, most fans at the time of the 2nd album were female... the choice of a dreamy looking Elvis on the cover was perfect. I do agree, however, that the portrait shots are not very good... But more imaganitive ones might survive one day...? Sometime ago, I discovered a genuine action shot [ full body] from this session. It was printed in a mag titled rock n roll stars. Its in bl&wh, and poorly printed, as many 50s cheapo publications... Still, it stands out bigtime, compared to the ones well known. Brian, wizzard of E , you surely have a copy of that 50s mag?! Its on the contents page of issue nr. 3... Cheers for now!

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:49 pm

Here is the same photo that Little Sister posted, but this time not only from his waist up. Hey, this is not January ´57, and Ed Sullivan is not here. Let´s go for it!

This is from the back cover of a Bulgarian LP Rock-And-Roll.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:11 pm

In the last pic (thanks FOOL), you can definitely see the cord all wound up inside the guitar.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:47 pm

The picture from the second album "Elvis" was also used on the 1968 compilation album "The rockin´days" with red background:'

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=294236

Regards Björn

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:22 am

Elvis looks totally punk rock

hmm, doc, think there's a slight difference ... of course ... some of us live in a real world :)

this one i made last week, enemy rose is the band's name

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:27 am

it was also used on the too much 45 cover and a 1977 japanese lp called rock and roll album.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:56 am

Just curious, I've been looking for a guitar like that - do they sell one that looks like that? The current Martin D-28 and the HD-28 don't seem to look the same as this one..

Anybody have any idea?