Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis in Memphis June/July 1956

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:36 am

Hi!!

Here are some great shots of Elvis in Memphis during the summer of 1956. He is wearing the same outfit on all of them, but I was wondering if they where all taken at the same time? If so, what date?

Image Image Image
At his Audubon home.

Image Image Image Image

This third picture (the first with Dewey Phillips) was published in Elvis Speaks, I think I found it on rare-elvis.com.

Enjoy!!

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:19 am

Little Sister, you keep testing my knowledge all the time. I can´t give you an exact date but the second pic in the second row gives us some clues.

The poster is for Elvis´ July 4, 1956 show at Russwood Park in Memphis so it is sure to assume it is taken prior to that date.
The second clue is the article that is taped on the poster. It is from an article printed in the Memphis papers on June 8. Elvis came back to Memphis on June 11 and left again on June 22 so we can assume that the pics were taken between June 11 and June 21, 1956.

That´s about all I can tell at this moment.

I have the Elvis Speaks as well as other 1956 magazines with great rare pics in.

Sincerely
Brian

http://www.brian56.dk

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:42 am

Brian and Little Sister, here are some more 'same day' shots! Although LS, I can not date your photo's, I thought I would compensate you with these!
Brian, you are truly incredible (sincerely) ie.. (The second clue is the article that is taped on the poster. It is from an article printed in the Memphis papers on June 8. Elvis came back to Memphis on June 11 and left again on June 22 so we can assume that the pics were taken between June 11 and June 21, 1956)

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:34 am

Thanks Funky. Glad to be able to help spread some light on some of all those great pics of Elvis.

Your photos, by the way, were taken between June 13 and 21, 1956. Elvis picked up the 1956 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible in Texas on June 12 and came back to Memphis on the 13th. He left for Atlanta, Ga. on June 22.

The article with some of the pics were brought in the Memphis Press Scimitar on June 23 after Elvis had left for Atlanta. The pics are probably from June 20-22 prior to Elvis´ departure

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:49 am

Thanks Brian, it's always good to recieve another piece of the never - ending jigsaw puzzle! Your knowledge is extremely helpful!

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:08 am

These may all have been taken by Lloyd Shearer, who also interviewed Elvis at the time. It may've been for the Sunday newsweekly paper magazine Parade. There's a color shot of Elvis and Gladys by the Audubon house TV, with Gladys holding Shearer's microphone. It was republished on a Parade cover in 1978.

DJC

elvis in memphis

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:48 am

... Nice try, doc, but the photographer is Robert Williams from Memphis. Just about all the ones from 56, by Lloyd Shearer, are printed in my book Memphis Lonesome, circa 1987... I was never able to work out a deal with Williams. I met up with him in Memphis, about 20 years ago... He wanted One million for his Elvis photo collection. Funny Americans...

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:35 pm

Ohh my, what a mistake I made!

I was so very much into another project last night so I never noticed that Funky´s pics came from two different occasions.

The upper photos were shot between June 13 and 21, 1956.

However, the lower three pics were shot about two months earlier. Elvis´ parents moved into the house on 1034 Audubon Drive on March 27, 1956 and two of Funky´s pics as well as others were printed in the Tour-program that was for sale just before Elvis went to Las Vegas on April 23.

I´ve never seen Elvis in any of those pics so most likely he was on tour while the pics were shot. Also, they haven´t had time to put up curtains yet so probably pics from very early in above mentioned period.

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:02 pm

Hehe... I am here for sharpening your brain Brian. That is my mission!! No seriously, thank you Brian!! I also was pretty sure that it was sometime sin June, but I had no way of narrowing it down. So thank you very much for that!!

Thank you also Funky for those pics. It was actually me who scanned the two first and the last three and put them online. But I am sure it will be a great treat for many others to see them. Here are a few more that seem to be from the same day.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Brian and Funky - a big givaway one the Audubun photos would be that Gladys is wearing two different dresses!! :D Anyway, nice to hear the background ifno of the last three ones. Damn, OK, I gotta run now. A birthdayparty for my brother is waiting.

I'll post more later!!

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:06 pm

These three shots of Elvis are undated, but if you look at the filename, it gives you a clue to the actual date - 560701034ig!
For those who can't work it out, the date is the July 1st '56! It also hints to the fact that there is a minimum of thirty - four shots! Same moment in - time, perhaps! Elvis was in town (Memphis) on this date! Also, I am trying to back - track my movements, so I can give credit to these shots! For the life of me, I can't remember what web - site I lifted them off! Have no fear, I will endeavour too!
ImageImageImage

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:35 pm

WOW Funky, Great pics. Please track down the website. Would love to see the other 30 odd pics from same date.

However, Elvis WASN`T at home in Memphis on July 1, 1956 and those pics are NOT from Memphis.

They are actually from New York where Elvis rehearsed for the Steve Allen show later in the evening. Elvis wouldn´t return to memphis untl in the morning of July 4, 1956

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:35 pm

These three photos are from the book Elvis Incredible. Taken on July 1st, while in New York for The Steve Allen Show. The photographer is Roy Cummings.

Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:50 am

Thanks guys, for supplying the time and place! These pics. will fit nicely in to my July 1st sub - folder, inside my 1956 folder! I pretty much can get to a candid photo within seconds, which is a god - send! If anyone needs a candid, scream out, if I have it, then so will you! Cheers!

elvis in memphis

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:15 am

... Did you folks knew, Brian, once published a great book The Only Atomic Powered Singer !? All about that magical year 1956... I thought it was about time to return you the compliment, Brian! Youre one hell of a researcher, much better than I ever was!

Re: elvis in memphis

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Nice try, doc, but the photographer is Robert Williams from Memphis. Just about all the ones from 56, by Lloyd Shearer, are printed in my book Memphis Lonesome, circa 1987... I was never able to work out a deal with Williams. I met up with him in Memphis, about 20 years ago... He wanted One million for his Elvis photo collection. Funny Americans...

Williams was a little, um, misguided. But he's not the first Elvis photographer to do that, as you certainly know.

Can you place a time frame on the 1956 Shearer shots? Were they in July? August? All were taken in Memphis, if I recall from my treasured copy of Memphis Lonesome.

DJC

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:38 pm

:D Thanks Ger. It means a lot to get such a compliment from an authour of your quality.

Coming from Denmark I put a pride in doing a quality job and got to the bottom in almost every newspaper I could get my hand on for 8 years.

I intend to slowly put some of the stories on my website along with photos in better quality than I had access to back in 1994. Wow, has it really been that long :o

By the way Ger, The book was only called "The Atomic Powered Singer"

Sincerely
Brian

elvis in memphis

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:34 pm

... Sorry, Brian, I couldnt locate your book, so I had to go by memory... and thats not my strongest side anymore. By the way, I misplace a lot of my books many a time. I have [ and never had] anything in order. Finding a particular photo can take all day! :oops: The Lloyd Shearer pix, doc, my guess; shortly before the Florida tour... late July? Brian, any clues...? Another thing, Brian, any idea when Elvis started using the guitar on stage that he also used in Loving You? I have this pic from Houston, oct. 56, where its slung around his shoulder. Its the guitar with the flower motive as seen in the LY farm scene, a. o.

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:19 pm

I know what´s it like Ger. I always have to write down everything I ought to remember. Problem is, I keep forgetting where I wrote it :oops:

Let´s take the easy question first. Elvis started using the guitar with flower motive on October 11, 1956 in Dallas. At the last previous show, Tupelo Sept 26, he used his ordinary guitar.

Then the harder one, the Lloyd Shearer photos. Elvis is holding the 1956 magazine "Elvis Presley" which had press-stopp on July 1, 1956. I assume this as there are photos from Steve Allen rehearsal on July 1 but none from the actual show and none from Elvis´ July 4th showin Memphis.

If we assume that it would take at least a week to press the magazine and get it distributed Elvis was in Biloxi and didn´t get back to Memphis until July 20 and left again on July 29.

There is a possibility that it could also be from his return from Florida. He returned to memphis on August 14 and left again on the 16th.

I´ve just written to a US library to see if they can find out when "The Eddy Duchin Story" and "A Catered Affair" played in Memphis. Hopefully that´ll give us some more info.

Sincerely
Brian

http://www.fly.to/brian56

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:29 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:These three shots of Elvis are undated, but if you look at the filename, it gives you a clue to the actual date - 560701034ig!
For those who can't work it out, the date is the July 1st '56! It also hints to the fact that there is a minimum of thirty - four shots! Same moment in - time, perhaps! Elvis was in town (Memphis) on this date! Also, I am trying to back - track my movements, so I can give credit to these shots! For the life of me, I can't remember what web - site I lifted them off! Have no fear, I will endeavour too!
ImageImageImage

Great photos as always 8)

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:39 pm

Thanks for pointing out the premier date when Elvis used his beautiful Gibson J-200 on stage. The best-looking jumbo ever built, but soundwise, the Martin D-28 is a heap better. Funnily, Elvis started out using different Martin-guitars switched to Gibsons and then in his later years went back to Martins again. The guitar man went full circle.

Great site you´ve got there Brian. Team up with Ger Rijff and you 2 could produce the ultimate Rock´n´Roll-book on Elvis. Hardback in colour, I can dream, can´t I.

BTW Brian, I met you some 10 years ago, I was doing my militaryservice in southern Sweden. We talked in the tower, remember. Nice memories.

Keep up the great work!

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:51 pm

thanks for the pictures they are excellent

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:04 am

Great pictures!

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:52 am

Here are some more pics. we can debate on ie. dated June ? Third shot is clearer!
ImageImageImage

The next shot show's Ol' Ma Presley directly after taken her horse - pills! Man, she looks awful!

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:55 am

These are some neat pictures

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:47 pm

Still keeping with multiple same day shots! Brian/ LS do you know the date and place! Cheers!
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage