Post here your Elvis' pictures

1960 Candids - with correct dates!

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:57 am

One of the hardest things about candids is trying to correctly date it! I am forever studying/ cross referencing them etc. Here are three for you to enjoy!

July 24th - Memphis Airport, Memphis! Possibly on his way to Vegas for a little R&R before commencing Flaming Star! (shame about the text!)
October 17th - Baptist Memorial, Memphis - with Sonny, Joe and Anita!
November 4th - Rainbow Roller Rink, Memphis!

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:34 pm

1960, a great year to be an Elvis fan. Thanks, Funky.

DJC

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:48 pm

Hi Funky!

Where did you get that date for the first pic? I have a lot of clippings from the Memphis Press Scimitar and haven´t found any mention as to exactly when he departed for Hollywood.
Elvis probably went to Las vegas where he met with Bobby Darin before going to Hollywood.

Please visit my new website http://www.brian56.dk for the story behind a 1960 photo from March 11, 1960. Just click on Flashback and then on the red link beside the small pic.

More will follow on the website.

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:41 pm

Not much is known (well to me!) about the two shots you have uploaded on to your website! Care to elaborate a bit more! I love to be enlighten!
My 70's (candids) website is finished! All it needs is an upload )
If you need images, scream out and I will email them to you! Cheers!

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Funky!

I´ve just upgraded my website (will be doing so almost daily, I hope)

Click on the red link on the pic of Elvis and Wallace Dorris on the Flashback-site. It should lead you to the behind-the scene facts for that specific photo.

I´ll be putting info on the other pic as soon as I´ve transcribed the Memphis Press Scimitar clipping I have from this event.

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:33 pm

Nice pics, funky !

I've done a little detective work and I have deduced the the first pic is a 'sample'.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:40 pm

Memphis railway station 18.4.1960 (I'm not sure about the date, but it sounds right).

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:46 pm

Be sure of the date Patori!

It´s the right one ;)

Brian

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 am

Great pics Funky!! I have two more that seems to be from November 4th. (I never knew the date, but I trust you on it, so thanks!! :D) Not the bandage that Elvis is still wearing from his football-injury from two weeks earlier.

Image Image

One more picture from October 17th.

And a few from Memphis July 8th. "Elvis took his new speedboat for a test cruise on McKellar Lake July 8, 1960."
Image Image Image Image

Enjoy!!
Last edited by Little Sister on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:21 am

Little Sister, thanks for the uploads! It is always appreciative! Cheers! I never knew (until now) the date, for the speed boat images! For the record, these were taken directly after Elvis (and entourage!) came back from filming GI. Blues! He never stayed long in Memphis (only the month of July!) as he was back on the West Coast (to make Flaming Star!), via Vegas, by the start of early August!

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:21 pm

You're welcome Funky.

I have a bunch of candids from early 1960's, that you or someone elsemight be able to shed some lights on. Date, location, people...

These seem to be taken the same date as the speedboat photos. He's earing the same outfit, AND Elvis day by day says that he he rented the Memphisn almost every night around this time. And these pictures appear to be taken at the Memphian. What do you guys think?
Image Image

And what about these? Seem to be after the filming of Follow That Dream if you look at Elvis' tan and the natural color of his hair. But at what time did Anita and him break up?
Image Image

Elvis could never go wrong with a hat - too bad he didn't wear it more often.

Seems like it is at the wall around Graceland.

Probably at the fairgrounds
Image Image Image

For all you guys that don't know more than me about these photos, ENjoy!! For all you others, please enlighten us!! ;-) :-D

Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:34 am

Here´s the first photo on this thread without the text.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:43 pm

Fool!
That is a great omprovement of my "sample" photo. Thanks a lot :D

Little Sister!
The two upper photos of your Feb 12, 2006 10:45 pm posting should be Nov 4, not Nov 11 :D
Check my website later in the evening for the tsory behind the McKellar Lake photos. The broken finger story will also be uploaded this evening.

Little Sister, your 7:21 pm posting. You say that the two top photos could very well be the same date as the McKellar photos. How come? Is it the trousers? My copy of the article has a smaller photo of Elvis where I don´t see his trousers. However, on the McKellar article you posted it seems like the trousers are closed with a dark string where the two photos are closed with white string.

Elvia and Anita, I would also say after the Follow That Dream shooting.

The one in the crowd at Graceland is most likely from the summer of 1960. I have 3 more from this date however not as good quality as yours.

Elvis used this captains cap at least until the filming of Girls, Girls, Girls so hard to tell when those pics were shot. Great shots though.

Sincerely
Brian

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:33 pm

The fool wrote:Here´s the first photo on this thread without the text.

very cool.....

PEP 8)

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:32 pm

bripet56, speaking of the captains cap, have you seen these!
The Fool, thank you sincerely for your upload!

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:38 pm

Funky! No, haven´t seen those two pics with Elvis i captains cap.

Can´t tell much about date and place due to the size of them and Image Shack didn´t enlarge them. Don´t know if they were intended to ??

I got two new uploads of "Story-behind-the-pic" on my new website.
http://www.brian56.dk

Sincerely
Brian

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:47 pm

Here you go Brian! Yeah, I had the 'Image Shack' thumbnail box ticked, whilst uploading! Just experimenting here etc ) Man, you were on here, the same time as me!! Keep up the good work on that website of yours! Cheers!

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:10 pm

I done some research and found out something (a time - period) at your expence! It's got to do with the Rolls Royce! For the life of me, I could never work out the time - period of this shot! Elvis wrapped up 'Flaming Star' on the 4th October, so the RR must/ may of been brought directly after as the article 'Another Movie' http://www.brian56.dk/601016.html (half way down/ right hand side) on your website (which incidently refers to 'Wild In The Country') was published in the Memphis Press Scimitar, on the October 17th, 1960!

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:51 pm

Funky!
Thanks for posting the two motorcycle pics. They´re really great. Hard to tell when they were taken .

Maybe I should write a bit about the Rolls-Royce in an upcoming behind-the-pic story. Have a bit information and an article I could upload along with the pic.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Those motorcycle shots of Elvis are cool. At first, I thought they might be Audobon Drive shots, but in the background of the shot on the left it looks like the Graceland wall.

I must say that in the past few weeks you guys have had my full attention with these candids. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you, as I already spend enough time on the other sections of this board! :D

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 pm

KHoots, it's a pleasure bringing (my share!) all of this to the table, son! Here is one especially for you, brother! I am assuming this was taken out in LA, but who knows! bripet56, more power to you son ie.. your Rolls Royce article!
Now KHoots, where were we - oh your pic!

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:54 pm

I have always loved the photo of Elvis with his Rolls Royce. It is really English lord meets rock'n'roll king. Elvis looks classy yet still a bit dangerous. I don't know if you have these allready. But here are two more from the same date, along with the first one in better quality.

Image Image Image

Brian, it should be interesting to see what you have about this car. Please post on your website!! :D

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:57 pm

bripet56 wrote:Little Sister!
The two upper photos of your Feb 12, 2006 10:45 pm posting should be Nov 4, not Nov 11 :D

Yepp, you're right. I'll change it that now!!

bripet56 wrote:Little Sister, your 7:21 pm posting. You say that the two top photos could very well be the same date as the McKellar photos. How come? Is it the trousers? My copy of the article has a smaller photo of Elvis where I don´t see his trousers. However, on the McKellar article you posted it seems like the trousers are closed with a dark string where the two photos are closed with white string.

Yes you are right Brian!! It looks like Elvis wearing the same kind of pants, but in a different color. Of course it is possible he got wet and changed them before going to the movies, but I really can't assume that... Thanks for keeping your eyes on me!! :oops: :D

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:56 am

thefunkyangel wrote:KHoots, it's a pleasure bringing (my share!) all of this to the table, son! Here is one especially for you, brother! I am assuming this was taken out in LA, but who knows! bripet56, more power to you son ie.. your Rolls Royce article!
Now KHoots, where were we - oh your pic!

Fantastic, funky. Another one I hadn't seen. :D