Post here your Elvis' pictures

At home in 1954

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:25 am

I believe that these pictures are taken at the Presley's home in 1954. But do have any mor einformation on them? Date, location, reason.... :?

Image

Image

Image

This is the happiest and helthiest I have ever seen the entire family. Compare the family portrait here with the one from 1958...

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:52 am

These are from mid-July 1955, part of a two-week break from touring to relax, and record music at SUN. He'll have one of the greatest songs of the century, "Mystery Train," complete before he leaves town.

The photos are either for publicity purposes per Bob Neal, or perhaps a Press-Simitar newspaper article.

DJC

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:46 pm

these are lovely!

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:These are from mid-July 1955, part of a two-week break from touring to relax, and record music at SUN. He'll have one of the greatest songs of the century, "Mystery Train," complete before he leaves town.

The photos are either for publicity purposes per Bob Neal, or perhaps a Press-Simitar newspaper article.

DJC


Doc, the hair, black and maybe early 57.

The last pic, note the stuffed toy on the table as well (poss ref to the ones he recieved?). Elvis is holding a publication that has the words across the top, "They're singing....." and the rest is unreadable if anyone knows when that was.

The book, Elvis, a Celebration pegs that very pic as 1956, but I always accept that just because a book says so.....

I'll take Brians date (you can bet he has the time of day taken from a reflecton of the photographer and his watch he's wearing) over the book anyday :wink:

Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:40 am

Steve_M wrote:Doc, the hair, black and maybe early 57.

No, these are from mid-July 1955.

Trust the doc!

DJC

Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:14 pm

eh...don't be quite so sure, doc. i see black hair--the dark blonde shine isn't there. also, this is the same period that elvis was attempting to grow his mustache. take another look.

i see peach fuzz here, just like in the pic where elvis is holding the gun in the car.

Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:04 pm

Thanks Steve for trusting me to date the pics but believe me, the Doc is quite right, The pics were most likely taken during the short vacation Elvis had in July 1955. It is the same trousers Elvis wore for his July 31 show in Tampa. Those trousers with stitches down the legs were soon faded out and never worn again.

Sincerely
Brian petersen

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks for your help!!

Like all the early photos I find these ones very fascinating... They really show Elvis just like any young man. Of course you get smitten by his charisma, but he is not yet the superstar Elvis - always surrounded but his entourage.

at home

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:21 am

... summer of 55. They first appeared in the 55 edition of Juke Box Favourites

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:46 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:eh...don't be quite so sure, doc. i see black hair--the dark blonde shine isn't there. also, this is the same period that elvis was attempting to grow his mustache. take another look.

You really should stick to the "Chat-Talk" section.

bripet56 wrote:... believe me, the Doc is quite right, The pics were most likely taken during the short vacation Elvis had in July 1955.

Thanks, Brian.

DJC

at home

Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:55 pm

... but the Babe cant be all bad, doc... She loves the Righteous Brothers! One of the all time great singing duos! Good choice, Babe !

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:06 am

Thanks for your help guys and gal!! I appreciate you offering your expertise on this!

What can you say about these? Around the same time?
Image Image

He sure looks cool!! 8)

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:43 am

Hi Little Sister!

Until very recently I had placed these photos of Elvis with his newly acquired Cadillac in his short July vacation of 1955. However, looking closely at his belt I discovered that this is the belt that is only worn from late August through early September 1955. Being from Memphis the photos would then be from the very last couple of days of August 1955.

The Cadillac is sometimes mistaken for being his 1954 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60 Special when in fact it is the 1955 version of same model.

Sincerely
Brian Petersen

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:02 am

hmmm...so if that's '55, then did he attempt the moustache twice in the 50s? or is the gun pic from this time period also...?

it's interesting that depending on the photo from the pre-loving you days, sometimes his hair appears dark brown/black in pictures and sometimes it appears dark blonde...even in some shots of his hair completely greased, it still appears that light brown/dark blonde--for example in the very early tv appearances.

i suppose it depends on the type of picture.

and was i the only person who noted the very beginnings of a moustache (indeed, it's very little) in those pics. that's what threw me off, because i thought the other pics with similar growth were from later.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:13 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:... was i the only person who noted the very beginnings of a moustache

Yes, because there is no moustache. Back to "Chat-Talk" please!

DJC

at home

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:21 pm

... Steve, not that it still matters, the magazine on his lap is "Life". The article was about the Mambo dance craze... There was another Cuban dance craze two years later: Calypso! Crazy Yanks...

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:14 pm

Brian, thanks for you help once again!! I just now noticed that the family picture was published in Day by Day, and dates as July 1955. But anyway, I would rather take your words for it, as you guys can have new information, that wasn't known when they wrote the book.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis' Babe wrote:... was i the only person who noted the very beginnings of a moustache

Yes, because there is no moustache. Back to "Chat-Talk" please!

DJC


you look and learn, buddy. i have sharp eyes. see the first and third picture. look at the two sides of his upper lip and tell me again that you don't see the very faint light-haired moustache--which is more worthy of being called 'peach fuzz'. the skinny line of fuzz is quite there.

somebody hand glasses to the doc.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:55 pm

bripet56 wrote: However, looking closely at his belt I discovered that this is the belt that is only worn from late August through early September 1955.


Actually, he did wear the belt a couple of times in mid-September, but no cameras caught the event.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:35 pm

well Colin, I of course know that :o but I only mentioned the dates from which we have photo evidence :D :D :D HEHE

Brian