Post here your Elvis' pictures

Abilene, Texas 1955 Need Photo

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:52 pm

Hi. New user here. I am in search of a photo of a 2/15/1955 or 10/11/1955 Elvis show taken at Fair Park Auditotrium in Abilene, Texas. In the photo, I am looking for a "Marvel" brand guitar either in his hands, or on stage sitting. I do belive there was also a mid summer show at this same location in July, but I have no date for that. I lack photographic proof of the existance of this guitar in 1955 played by Elvis. I am in possession of this guitar. It has been in my family for 51 years and only recently the story of it was passed on to me. But, right now, its a story, not a reality. I would like to sell this guitar, but need the hard evidence. If anyone can provide me a photo from one of these three shows in Abilene, Texas with this guitar in the picture, there will be a financial reward given to that person upon the sale of this guitar on eBay.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:19 pm

Did he use it at other shows ?

Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:28 am

Its very possible he did. He played Ft. worth, Amarillo and Austin during this same tour leg. There were some other small towns as well. There are people who would search this out for me, but want boo-ku bucks up front.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:32 am

Well he played the "Pied Piper" show a few days later, but had his own guitar at that point.

I don't think you will find any photos of such an occassion. There are those that have studied minutely the photgraphic eveidence of 54 - 55 down to knowing in detail what jewlery Elvis was wearing for certain periods as well as having what was thought to be a difinitive account of his guitars.

However, there was a show more in the middle of 55 when Elvis borrowed a guitar to go out on stage with. He had mislaid his when he was called to go on stage and he quickly had to ask to borrrow someone elses. The amusing thing with that was that when he came off stage he'd broken every string and the poor chap he'd borrowed it off hadn't gone on yet.

I would like to hear more of the story behind how you or whoever passed it onto you got the guitar, any history of it that you know of etc.

I don't think it was Elvis' guitar at all, but like i suggest above he may have played it, but other than that it just might belong to another star from that time anyway.

Do you have a photo / pic of this guitar, a name / make / model ?

Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:02 pm

The story in short is that Elvis had brought the guitar with him to Abilene, purchased on the road somewhere. He played it once or twice and did not like it. My dads band was the "backup" band or the assisiting band in some way for this show. This is all verifiable. Elvis gave the guitar to my dad with the case at the end of the night. My dad never really thought nothing of it because Elvis wasn't "that big" in 55; no bigger in the West Texas area than my dad and his band were. So it was just a guitar to him.
I can add a picture. How do I do that on here?

Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:09 pm

You need to upload the picture onto a server and then use the "Img" button to reference the url / path of the file on the server so that it appears in your post.

to make life easier, you can e-mail me the picture and I'll post it in here for you: steve@elviscrawler.com

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:48 pm

Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:43 pm

lifeson wrote:The story in short is that Elvis had brought the guitar with him to Abilene, purchased on the road somewhere.

He played it once or twice and did not like it.

My dads band was the "backup" band or the assisiting band in some way for this show.

This is all verifiable.

I don't know how you are going to verify your dads story, but it's good that you can.
What was the name of your dads band, or his name or whatever they were known by ?
Can you find out who used to be the booking agent for his band or who his manager was and where they operated from ?

Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:43 pm

He played Abilene on May 30th also. I've never seen or heard of that guitar before but by then he was playing Martins. Its possible that he may have purchased it but not likely, more likely if he used it at all it was borrowed. He did that often. That's not concrete though. You might try getting a copy of the Elvis in Texas book, I'll look through mine tonight. I'll also email a friend that has been a source for a lot of those photos from Texas.

Jim

Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:05 pm

Thanks for the info, I've already scoured the EIT book and I've also asked some folks who have some unpublished 55 pics but to no avail.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:29 pm

This is supposed to have been taken on October 11, 1955
Are either of these guys your father Jon?
http://www.pbase.com/image/55330873

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:10 am

Great story lifeson and thanks Steve for uploading the pic. Where's Brian Petersen when you need him? :shock: :D

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:37 pm

Sorry Delboy!

I´m right here. I´ve never seen Elvis use this kind of guitar. He often borrowed other performers guitars back in 1955, among others Charline Arthur.

It is a safe bet that if he used this guitar it would probably have belonged to some country star. But then again, if he only had it for a day or two, then it will be hard to turn up evedince in the form of pics with Elvis using the guitar.

Great pic JamesVRoy ;) Typical from the fall of 1955 with Elvis having had a permanent so his hair is all curly.

Sincerely
Brian Petersen