Post here your Elvis' pictures

Rare 68 special pics

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:44 pm

Colonel's birthday Jun 26 1968, 'It Hurts Me' parody...

Press conference

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:48 pm

Bottom pic is the day before, right ?

Haven't seen that bottom pic before.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:50 pm

You're right Steve. Just the top pic if from June 26th.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:53 pm

The authenticity of this pic has been discussed before. However, the previous photo did not have the guy on the left in it. His name is Bobby Dick, a US entertainer. The photo is possibly from the infamous 'street walk' on Sunset Boulevard, June 1968

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:58 pm

I think it is on a movie set, only because you can pick out the reflection of the Funny Girl logo in the window.

That another entertainer is also talking to Elvis as well and does anyone know what it says in the top left of the reflection something with EYE in it ?

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:16 pm

Do they have office space on movie lots ?

Here's a thing.
It can't be right somewhere along the line.

Funny Girl > Filming began in August 1967 at an abandoned rail depot in New Jersey. Photography finished in December with the re-filming of Barbra's final number, "My Man."

The premiere wasn't until later in 1968 (September?)

So if this photo is of Elvis during the making of the 68 special then it is during a time before the movie is even out and months after it was finished being filmed.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:39 pm

What press conferenence was that???? These pics are great!!

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:43 pm

A lot of 'Funny Girl' was filmed in Hollywood so it's likely there would have been publicity in the LA area. Also the neck scarf is consistent with what Elvis was wearing around this time. He wore one at the press conference (25th) and at the recording of 'If I Can Dream' ((23rd). If it was a movie set it would have to be 'Live a Little'. What date was the Sunset Blvd walk meant to have taken place?

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:13 pm

nice pics

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:34 pm

This is the description of the photo on Bobby Dick's website....

"Bobby Dick with Elvis Presley, Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood, California 1968"

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:51 pm

A couple more....

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:33 pm

Steve_M wrote:Do they have office space on movie lots ?

Yes, production offices are provided on most lots.

Tom

Mystery hand

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:00 am

Delboy wrote:A couple more....

Who's hand is on E's left shoulder? Don't see anyone standing directly behind him. Oh, wait a second...it must be Charlie Hodge.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:42 am

FYI =>

The Bobby Dick -- who? -- photo is a fake. And the image where Elvis is kneeling is not from Burbank in June, but from November on the set of "The Trouble With Girls."

Almost all of these "rare" photos were published in one or more of Tunzi's books. Except for the fake!

DJC

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:FYI =>

The Bobby Dick -- who? -- photo is a fake. And the image where Elvis is kneeling is not from Burbank in June, but from November on the set of "The Trouble With Girls."

Almost all of these "rare" photos were published in one or more of Tunzi's books. Except for the fake!

DJC

Doc,

Steve M and Renan hadn't seem at least one of the pics so it was worthwhile posting them. I'll remember to exclude "rare" next time. :D. Thanks for correcting me on the TWG photo.

As for Bobby Dick? He was part of 'Bobby Dick and the Sundowners' who mainly covered contemporary bands and opened for the Stones, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Tina Turner and others. About the photo? This is what he had to say.......I would take the April date as pre-filming show discussions and the Hampton show must be '72.

Hi

Photo was taken by my brother Michael Dick unsing Pentax 35 mm Spot-Matic on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood sometime in April of 1968 while Elvis was taping his Elvis 1968 T.V. Special.

It was outside the offices of ³Binder and Howe², ie: Steve Binder and Bones Howe who produced and recorded show for t.v. At the time, The Sundowners were also being recorded and produced by Bones Howe for Decca Records and during a meeting, Bones mentioned to me that Elvis was in the next office. In any case, I had another appointment, so my brother and I got in the elevator and all of a sudden we heard someone say ³Hold on there² . . . and who gets in but Elvis?

He was very friendly, allowed numerous photo ops with my brother and I, right there on Sunset Boulevard. Later in 1973 while Elvis was touring in Hampton, Virginia, I was able to get back stage using 8 x 10 photo of Elvis and myself and Elvis signed white Kodak carboard frame with picture from photo store. By the way, he was in great voice and being concert was in Virginia, when he started singing American Trilogy . . . you thought the South was going to rise again.

Thanks for your interest,

Bobby Dick

Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:23 am

Regardless of what Dick says on his site, the image is a fake.

DJC

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:06 pm

Great pix and they're certainly `rare' to me. I have no knowledge whether the photo in question is faked or not but the skin tones and shading looks fairly consistent throughout
rick

Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:39 pm

Well the guy didn't say that on his website, it was on an email. I see no reason why he would fake a photo and come up with that story. I've asked him about the other photo's but I'm not going to accuse him of being a liar! We may find out. :wink:

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:06 am

DJC: "Regardless of what Dick says on his site, the image is a fake. "

what's the proof?

k.

ps. Doc: "I'm in the know" is a little too much for my poor brain .... facts or photowise, say what you have to say

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:08 am

kris wrote:what's the proof?

k.

ps. Doc: "I'm in the know" is a little too much for my poor brain .... facts or photowise, say what you have to say

Oh, ye of little faith, redeem yourself.

Here's but one clue anyone with a "poor brain" might ascertain: the billboard for "Funny Girl" seen in the window.

The image of Elvis is from June 1968, the Streisand film did not see its world premiere in New York until mid-September, billboards advertising the film in Burbank would not be up three months prior.

There are other clues in the photo that also reveal deception, I'll leave those for another time.

Now you know.

DJC

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:56 am

If it means anything at all, Doc............I believe you.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:40 am

Rob, yes it does! Thank you.

DJC

No

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:40 pm

It's no fake, trust me.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:28 pm

To me it looks as if the Funny Girl ad is inside the building. Because it doesn't have the reflection the grassy part or whatever it is has. Is that part of a lawn reflection up there? Why not anywhere else, like further down? Is it a mirror of some kind? I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't look authentic.

If only that LEASE sign could talk!

Unless I get to lay my eyes on the original negative it's a fake to me.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:27 am

Melanie wrote:Unless I get to lay my eyes on the original negative it's a fake to me.

1) Can we all agree it is a picture of Elvis in 1968? :D

2) Can we further agree that it's a picture of Elvis in 1968 that none of us have seen before?

3) Why then would someone doctor a never before seen picture of Elvis and transpose it onto a sign advertising office space?

The 'Funny Girl' argument doesn't hold up. It was an existing show and filming of the movie was complete. There's all sorts of reasons that advertising of the brand would be taking place in California.

Anyone can email Bobby Dick and tell him he's a liar! I'm not. His email address can be found on his website http://www.bobbydick.com.

Here's another 'fake' from his website.....

Bobby Dick with Jimi Hendrix, Peter Tork of The Monkees,
and Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding of Jimi Hendrix Experience, Miami Beach, FL 1967