Is this finally a genuine photo of Elvis and Roy Orbison???

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Red Cat
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Is this finally a genuine photo of Elvis and Roy Orbison???

Post by Red Cat »

Hello dear fellow Elvis aficionados,

I just came across this picture on facebook (source: https://www.facebook.com/juanpedro.guerrero ).

Apparently it shows Elvis with Roy Orbison in Midland, TX in 1955. According to Cecil Holifield's son the photo got burned but some relative had a copy of it.

(What about the large medallion around Elvis's neck? It reminds me of the one he got as a gift from 14-year-old super-fan Carol Vanderleck backstage at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Canada on Tuesday, April 2, 1957 before the first show. )

Can anyone confirm the authenticity of this picture?

Thank you very much for your efforts and contributions in advance. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thats_all_right
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Is this finally a genuine photo of Elvis and Roy Orbison???

Post by Thats_all_right »

Yeh, certainly not '55.

You could be right about the medallion.

ed40
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by ed40 »

Thanks for sharing REd cat! Looks real too me, does not look like ‘55 🧐

Ed

Tigerman32837
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Tigerman32837 »

It's 1957

Topic author
Red Cat
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by Red Cat »

New info from the Roy Orbison fb page:

"This photo was taken at Sam Phillip’s house on Menden Hall Road in Memphis in the late spring of 1957. Elvis is wearing a medallion he got in Ottawa, Canada from a fan on April 3rd and his hair is certainly 1957, dyed black. Roy Orbison is wearing his “Ooby Dooby” diamond ring and his hair is also dyed black. The photo was taken to Cecile Hollifield in Midland/Odessa by Roy himself. This was a nice souvenir for Hollifield to have, as he was friends with both singers and with Sam Phillips. Roy always said he met Elvis in Memphis on June 1st 1956 at the Overton Park Shell, so this picture is definitely 1957..."

Note Elvis got the medallion in Toronto, Canada on Tuesday, April 2, 1957.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

That's the photo that Cecil gave me a copy of about 8 years ago and told me he had taken, albeit its much clearer and higher quality than the copy I have (he had Xeroxed it). Mine is a slightly different crop too. I got his permission to show it to Brian Peterson at the time who showed it to have been taken at Sam's house, not in Midland but we decided it wasn't worth arguing with Cecil about it, especially since it wasn't going to be published. Several people representing Roy's family contacted me about it soon after and I referred them to Cecil but I don't think he was happy about it and I've stayed out of it since. I hadn't heard anything about him until recently when some local TV weatherman to there wanted to do a story and I gave him the last contact info I had. He told me he had connected with his grandson Jay and was going to talk with Cecil. I don't know if this pic or copy came out of that but I don't doubt its legitimacy, just where and when Cecil thought it was taken.
the crop of my copy is represented by the black rectangle.
312908563_671222111268437_3024804661017400575_n.png
Brian grabbed a frame of the film taken at Sam's house Easter weekend in 57 and you can recognize the furniture, lamp and bottom of curtain (unseen in recent crop).
Image11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

Interestingly, there is no recollection of Orbison there on Easter weekend, April 19-21, 1957. Not a frame of film, nor a single photo.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

kevanbudd

Post by kevanbudd »

JamesVRoy wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:26 am
That's the photo that Cecil gave me a copy of about 8 years ago and told me he had taken, albeit its much clearer and higher quality than the copy I have (he had Xeroxed it). Mine is a slightly different crop too. I got his permission to show it to Brian Peterson at the time who showed it to have been taken at Sam's house, not in Midland but we decided it wasn't worth arguing with Cecil about it, especially since it wasn't going to be published. Several people representing Roy's family contacted me about it soon after and I referred them to Cecil but I don't think he was happy about it and I've stayed out of it since. I hadn't heard anything about him until recently when some local TV weatherman to there wanted to do a story and I gave him the last contact info I had. He told me he had connected with his grandson Jay and was going to talk with Cecil. I don't know if this pic or copy came out of that but I don't doubt its legitimacy, just where and when Cecil thought it was taken.

Brian grabbed a frame of the film taken at Sam's house Easter weekend in 57 and you can recognize the furniture, lamp and bottom of curtain (unseen in recent crop).
Awesome post James, thank you.

Kevan Budd.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

What we know:

1. The Roy Orbison Facebook post claims that the photo was taken in the spring of 1957 at Sam's house.

2. Elvis looks as we would expect him to look in the spring of 1957.

3. Details in the photo are indeed from Sam's house. The video makes that clear.

4. If it is fake, it is certainly not a recent fake. This is the same photo that Cecil sent to James 8 years ago.

5. Cecil claims to have taken the photograph in 1955, but this is from 1957.

6. The Facebook post also claims that Roy gave the photo to Cecil, rather than Cecil taking it.

So, if the photo is genuine, the likely explanation seems to be that it was in the Holifield's family archive and Cecil wrongly remembered it as a photo that he had taken. Perhaps he always liked the idea that he'd taken what would be an historic photograph of two of the great performers of the 20th century. It would appear that he didn't.

Would be nice to have confirmation of Roy's presence at Sam's house. This would be an elaborate fake if fake though.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:41 am
Interestingly, there is no recollection of Orbison there on Easter weekend, April 19-21, 1957. Not a frame of film, nor a single photo.
I don't know that he was though Brian wasn't implying that the photo was taken that weekend. The photo only shows that the room and furniture are the same as depicted in the film confirming the location as Sam's house which contradicts Cecil's belief that it was taken in Midland.
TJ wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:39 pm
So, if the photo is genuine, the likely explanation seems to be that it was in the Holifield's family archive and Cecil wrongly remembered it as a photo that he had taken. Perhaps he always liked the idea that he'd taken what would be an historic photograph of two of the great performers of the 20th century. It would appear that he didn't.
Cecil had a lot of photos and memorabilia that had been lost, stolen, sold and given away over the years. He took a lot of the photos himself and as you suggest likely misremembered it as one that he had. The photo had been out and seen by others before I saw it. I believe Brian said Ernst had seen it, I know Peter Guralnick said he had, and if I remember correctly I told Heather Mozart about it back then in case she was interested in buying it and I think she said she had already seen it too but wasn't interested (don't quote me on that). I don't believe it to be fake.

Lee Wood
Registered for: 2 years 5 months

Post by Lee Wood »

JamesVRoy wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:52 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I don't know that he was though Brian wasn't implying that the photo was taken that weekend. The photo only shows that the room and furniture are the same as depicted in the film confirming the location as Sam's house which contradicts Cecil's belief that it was taken in Midland.
TJ wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:39 pm
Cecil had a lot of photos and memorabilia that had been lost, stolen, sold and given away over the years. He took a lot of the photos himself and as you suggest likely misremembered it as one that he had. The photo had been out and seen by others before I saw it. I believe Brian said Ernst had seen it, I know Peter Guralnick said he had, and if I remember correctly I told Heather Mozart about it back then in case she was interested in buying it and I think she said she had already seen it too but wasn't interested (don't quote me on that). I don't believe it to be fake.
Thank you so much. Let's hope this puts the naysayers in their place.

Lee Wood
Registered for: 2 years 5 months

Post by Lee Wood »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Yes, very interesting. It would therefore suggest to a logical mind that he wasn't there on the above date. It doesn't however prevent Roy being there on a different date, does it?

iplayastrat
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by iplayastrat »

JamesVRoy wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:52 pm

...I don't believe it to be fake.

I don't either.

I do think one of our keyboard warriors here
wants it to be fake because he didn't "break"
the story.

My escape from society continues...

drjohncarpenter

JamesVRoy wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:26 am

As always, appreciate your input. But how in the world could this be seen as from October 1955?

This is Elvis in October 1955:

Backstage with Bill Haley at Brooklyn High School, Cleveland - Thursday, October 20, 1955
Photo:
Tommy Edwards

The next step, if we assume it's authentic, is to see if Roy was even in Memphis between April 8 and 26, 1957.

Given Elvis' appearance, that can be the only timeline. Orbison's most recent Sun session had been the previous December, and his next would not be until late June, when he demoed his co-write with Norman Petty, called "A True Love Goodbye."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Although I haven't confirmed the photo entirely genuine, I have found additional information which I will post shortly.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

dyloke
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by dyloke »

june 27 1957 ELVIS RETURN TO MEMPHIS JUNE 26 AND ROY IS ON STUDIO FOR DEMO ..THEY ARE IN THE HOUSE OF SAM PHILLIPS (this sure) .

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:02 am
But how in the world could this be seen as from October 1955?
I don't know how clear his copy was only how clear mine wasn't but I suspect Cecil was not the detail oriented fan like many are. He was a friend of most/all of those artists and the photos represent personal memories to him, in this case one not completely accurate. I doubt he ever bothered to make a comparison of known pictures of Elvis in those years, or knew much about what medallions Elvis got or when he got them. Like I mentioned of Brian's and my objective at the time, it was not in our interest to correct or argue with him about whether he could've taken it or where/when it was taken. We were content to know he had it and kept those other opinions to ourselves.

drjohncarpenter

dyloke wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:23 pm
june 27 1957 ELVIS RETURN TO MEMPHIS JUNE 26 AND ROY IS ON STUDIO FOR DEMO ..THEY ARE IN THE HOUSE OF SAM PHILLIPS (this sure) .

Your date is incorrect.

I uncovered exactly when this visit by Elvis occurred.

See:
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114083

Also, my understanding is the Orbison demo session for "A True Love Goodbye" happened on 6-23-1957 (Sun).

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:31 am

See:

I saw the pic on Jaun's page the other day too after doing a google search. He is evidently a Roy fan but I wonder where his copy came from. In the google search I saw that in was also a link to the Roy Orbison Instagram account but I don't have an account and couldn't access it so I don't know if he got it from them or vice verse. In any case I will have to make a note on the page about Cecil where its mentioned that the photo he has/had he believed to be from October of 55 is in error. Hopefully that will prevent further confusion for some about the existence of another photo, or at least that page as the/a source of confusion. I'll let stand though as written what Cecil believes/d.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Your date is incorrect.

See:

Also, my understanding is the Orbison demo session for "A True Love Goodbye" happened on 6-23-1957 (Sun).
Colin Escott on Bear Family Records "Roy Orbison The Sun Years" CD have 'A True Love Goodbye' recorded on October 1957

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

drjohncarpenter

Swedish wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:27 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Your date is incorrect.

See:

Colin Escott on Bear Family Records "Roy Orbison The Sun Years" CD have 'A True Love Goodbye' recorded on October 1957

And of course the point of that specific date for the demo session is to quell any suggestion the photo might have been taken after Presley returned from his Hollywood work that summer.

Have some questions for you, little buddy.

Does your CD indicate that this was a full-band recording, not a solo demo of the song? Does it mention the session date as October 16, 1957? Does it make note that Roy is joined by Roland Janes (guitar), Stan Kesler (bass), Otis Jett (drums), Jimmy Wilson (piano) and Martin Willis [saxophone)?

Because it should.

:smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.