Official FECC Feature Request Thread

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Tony Trout
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Post by Tony Trout »

Jordan,

One final thing/suggestion from me (and I just now noticed this): Is there any way to stop the forum opening in a new window when a member clicks on "Board Index"? It's very annoying and confusing for me....

Thanks, brother. :)

Take Care,
Tony T.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Elvisgirl
Registered for: 20 years

Post by Elvisgirl »

sometimes when I open a thread that has more than 2 pages, it doesn't open on page 1. is kinda annoying, is there some way to change that?

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Tony Trout wrote:Jordan,

One final thing/suggestion from me (and I just now noticed this): Is there any way to stop the forum opening in a new window when a member clicks on "Board Index"? It's very annoying and confusing for me....

Thanks, brother. :)

Take Care,
Tony T.
Hi Tony,
I can't seem to reproduce that using any browser??? Might be a setting on your end?

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Elvisgirl wrote:sometimes when I open a thread that has more than 2 pages, it doesn't open on page 1. is kinda annoying, is there some way to change that?
Unfortunately, no, as it is hard coded to jump to the first unread post in a thread.

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

Haven't been successful adding topics to "Manage bookmarks." Any changes to process?

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

EPA4368 wrote:Haven't been successful adding topics to "Manage bookmarks." Any changes to process?
No changes. Simply scroll to the bottom of the topic you would like to bookmark, then click the "add to bookmarks" link.
This will add the topic to your "manage bookmarks" area of the UCP.

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:Haven't been successful adding topics to "Manage bookmarks." Any changes to process?
No changes. Simply scroll to the bottom of the topic you would like to bookmark, then click the "add to bookmarks" link.
This will add the topic to your "manage bookmarks" area of the UCP.
Thanks!

Probably user error on my end, it's working for me now.

::rocks

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by TCB-FAN »

Elvisgirl wrote:we need a "wtf" emoticon

like this one ??
|
|
\/

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

Yeah, it's there. We have some supercool smileys! Thanks, Jordan, for all you do. :smt007

I have an idea: it keeps coming into my Twitter feed, because they have me pegged as a developer (yeah, if it's was 1998, sure). Anyway, it's the "Dropbox Chooser." It has been added to Yahoo Mail, and it's getting popular all around, with various sites and clients. In this way, it would be easy to upload either documents or photos to a repository, and this would make searching a breeze. (Or, the way it generally works, is that users have access to others "public" documents, under the stipulations of each user as to protection of the documents. So it wouldn't even take up any space here!) There would, of course, be specific limitations as per this forum, but I think it could work.

(Documents can be password-locked when saving to Acrobat format, so that members who only wanted to share with certain other members could totally protect even viewing of the document. I mean: you couldn't even view it if you didn't have the password. There are levels of protection with pdf documents, and the highest level a user can set is not to let anyone view it who is not chosen by that user. The lower levels are "no copy and paste," or "no printing," and etc. But you can totally block access to the document, as a user, and thus collaborate only with those you chose, if that were your choice.)

Oh, and it's easy as pie to do this. There are various pdf creator software tools. And they work great. It's just a format.

Just a notion. They have a demo on the dropbox site, and it's REALLY easy: little javascript thingy, that one inserts as code. And then this happens with the users:
ChooserDemo.jpg
After the trusted user (trusted by another user) inserts the password:
DropboxOpenedUP.jpg
Have a great week, Jordan!

rjm
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Hi rjm,
Thanks! I've been following DropBox since they were just a little kickstart. I've always been impressed with their services.

With that being said, I don't think it would be a good idea to have a centrally accessible repository here on the site. Don't get me wrong, 99.999% of the users here are extremely trustworthy. It just takes one bad apple though to log in and wipe everything out. Especially with the way users would have full access to the ENTIRE repository. Not a good idea!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Snake Eyes

Post by Snake Eyes »

A forum I visit has a feature where you can post incognito. I'm not sure it could work effectively on this site without flaming wars, but generally it is used to post information and remain anonymous.

I haven't used it on the other forum myself, but I still think it's a good feature if used correctly.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

A good idea in theory, but the potential for abuse is astronomical!

Snake Eyes

Post by Snake Eyes »

fecc-mechanic wrote:A good idea in theory, but the potential for abuse is astronomical!
Which is a shame, but it works fantastic elsewhere. Different boards, different fan-base I guess.

Thanks for responding so fast though.

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

A way to hide sections and or posts would be cool? Like those recurrings posts like Photo of The Day, Quote of The Day, Whatever of The Day.

Richard--W

Post by Richard--W »

Jordan, will the Import Top 40 on the main page be coming back anytime soon? It used to be the first place I'd look whenever I stopped by here. I suppose it was taken down for reasons.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Hi Richard.
I am not sure, to be honest. ElvisNews.com handled that section- and it looks like their server is having issues at the moment.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

A new feature has been added which allows the member to delete his/her account without moderator/administrator intervention.
To access this new feature one needs to go to:
User Control Panel ----->
Profile ------>
Delete my Account

Please note, this action is irreversible. Once you delete your account, your registration data, PM's, and settings will be gone forever!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Thanks to @TCB-FAN for pointing out the following error:
When embedding youtube videos beginning with https:// the forum youtube BBCode would not work.
This has now been corrected.
The youtube embed code can now be used with the following video sites, along with YouTube:

Code: Select all

youtube.com (and youtu.be) - playlists are also supported
    vimeo.com
    facebook.com
    dailymotion.com
    ustream.tv — streams and recorded videos
    ted.com
    vine.co
    metacafe.com
    video.yandex.ru — the URL from the embed code is required
    myvideo.de
Among others...

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

That is awesome! Thank you!

Let me try. (If this works, then this was a great day to tune up my laptop!)

Thank you, Jordan!!! ::rocks

rjm

Sent via mobile

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

FOE Feature Fortified! Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thr

Post by fecc-mechanic »

It has become apparent that a lot of problems on the board could be avoided with the "foe" feature being used more often.

However, its previous implementation left a bit to be desired.

Previously, if you added a member to your "Foes" list - you would see a little banner in their posts that stated "This post was made by [foe-member] click here to see". In addition, if someone quoted a member in the foe list, you would see that too.

With a little modification, both of those issues have now been corrected!

A member "rubbing you the wrong way" can now forever be ignored by you.

Just add them to your Foe list (located in your user control panel).

Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

NumberEight
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by NumberEight »

Justin wrote:How about some kind of "Notifications" or "Alerts" section that lets you know if anyone's added anything after one of your posts, or quoted your post or "liked" your post?
I'll second that.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

NumberEight wrote:
Justin wrote:How about some kind of "Notifications" or "Alerts" section that lets you know if anyone's added anything after one of your posts, or quoted your post or "liked" your post?
I'll second that.
An "announcement center" feature is in the 3.1 branch of the software. We are still on the 3.0.* branch due to some bugs still being worked out. But, it WILL happen. Have no fear.

Jordan

ImageImage

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

C'mon guys, someone should never be a foe on an internet forum site. This ain't real life!

Some perspective.

Francesc

Re: FOE Feature Fortified! Re: Official FECC Feature Request

Post by Francesc »

fecc-mechanic wrote:It has become apparent that a lot of problems on the board could be avoided with the "foe" feature being used more often.

However, its previous implementation left a bit to be desired.

Previously, if you added a member to your "Foes" list - you would see a little banner in their posts that stated "This post was made by [foe-member] click here to see". In addition, if someone quoted a member in the foe list, you would see that too.

With a little modification, both of those issues have now been corrected!

A member "rubbing you the wrong way" can now forever be ignored by you.

Just add them to your Foe list (located in your user control panel).
sh*t!! I thought everybody had stopped posting :D

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

I foed rjm and it is working very good ! :smt006