An idea - files

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Would you like a file sharing service run by ElviCitiesINTL?

Yes
67%
Maybe
No votes
No
11%
I don't care, I'll do whatever Rob wants me to.
22%

Total votes: 18

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Registered for: 21 years
Mood:

An idea - files

Post by fecc-mechanic »

If ElviCitiesINTL offered a service similar to "we transfer" for Elvis stuff BUT without the short time limits. Would you be interested?
There are many upsides to this, including keeping your files "in house", and not having to worry about 3rd parties butting into your business. Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

drjohncarpenter

Re: An idea - files

Post by drjohncarpenter »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:43 am
If ElviCitiesINTL offered a service similar to "we transfer" for Elvis stuff BUT without the short time limits. Would you be interested?
There are many upsides to this, including keeping your files "in house", and not having to worry about 3rd parties butting into your business. Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

Would this addition overburden the work you already do for this forum and many other sites under your purview?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
I wouldn't go down that route, for various reasons. There are already several services that can be used securely and with end-to-end encryption.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:46 am
fecc-mechanic wrote:

Would this addition overburden the work you already do for this forum and many other sites under your purview?
Not a bit. I have so much storage that is being unused, I feel like I'm wasting it when it could be put to beneficial use for all the fans.

Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

drjohncarpenter

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:58 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Not a bit. I have so much storage that is being unused, I feel like I'm wasting it when it could be put to beneficial use for all the fans.

Well then!

My vote is whatever Rob thinks is best.

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:50 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
I wouldn't go down that route, for various reasons. There are already several services that can be used securely and with end-to-end encryption.
Thank you @On Tape 1972 for your input!
Indeed, there are already services. But an "In house" one dedicated to EP fans would be beneficial in my opinion at least. You wouldn't have to worry about the hosting service just disappearing and taking all your files with it (as we saw/and will be soon seeing again (I've been told) with "MEGA" - for instance.)
And it would be end to end encrypted for security. I've spoken to some folks out there in the IT world and I have no doubt I can make it happen.
The only thing holding me back is if folks out there would also find this beneficial. Hence the poll.
When you have dozens of TB's of storage in-house (already deployed on the servers) going unused, it leaves me feeling like I should be offering more.

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:04 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:58 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Well then!

I think we need to hear from @Rob then. :D :D :D :D :D :D
No pressure @Rob, but this project's future is in your hands.

Jordan

ImageImage

drjohncarpenter

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:14 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Well then!

It's Sunday. Rob will be in his "Elvis Room" until dinner time, I think. Candles ablaze.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by BrianTCB »

I say do it. I believe the main concern is that it doesn't add too much to your already-vast workload. So long as it doesn't do that...I say yes!

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:28 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:14 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Well then!

It's Sunday. Rob will be in his "Elvis Room" until dinner time, I think. Candles ablaze.
With Maxwell House coffee and his world famous shorts of course.

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

BrianTCB wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:43 pm
I say do it. I believe the main concern is that it doesn't add too much to your already-vast workload. So long as it doesn't do that...I say yes!
As I've made things that were in the past very "manual "and hands on - now automated. I think I can squeeze such a project in ;) Thank you @BrianTCB for your input!!!

Jordan

ImageImage

drjohncarpenter

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:50 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:28 pm

With Maxwell House coffee and his world famous shorts of course.

Possibly even commando. It depends on how hot the coffee in that mug.

In the end I suspect two more YES votes will be tallied here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

Sounds like a good idea to me, BUT, I agree, Rob must give his blessing ! 😊

On Tape 1972

Post by On Tape 1972 »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:11 pm
On Tape 1972 wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Indeed, there are already services. But an "In house" one dedicated to EP fans would be beneficial in my opinion at least. You wouldn't have to worry about the hosting service just disappearing and taking all your files with it (as we saw/and will be soon seeing again (I've been told) with "MEGA" - for instance.)
And it would be end to end encrypted for security. I've spoken to some folks out there in the IT world and I have no doubt I can make it happen.
The only thing holding me back is if folks out there would also find this beneficial. Hence the poll.
When you have dozens of TB's of storage in-house (already deployed on the servers) going unused, it leaves me feeling like I should be offering more.
In its current state, the platform has options to share a file here and there and that's good enough for this site and its users (of which most don't seem to be too tech savvy, which is perfectly fine). I'm confident in your ability to pull it off technically, but the legal ramifications are - in my opinion - too much to handle for a small team / one person. And you'd have to think about monetization. Plus you could possibly be made partially or fully responsible for copyright infringements made on your platform if the EULA isn't waterproof.

If people want to store personal files online, there are the big ones like Google, Amazon, Microsoft and Apple that are still going to be around in 10+ years. Then there is Box, Dropbox and various private-cloud options with decent privacy protection and security such as Nextcloud. If you want the "zero-knowledge kind of security" there is Proton Drive.

You'd either have to be a sizeable operation that has the manpower to handle everything including legal, or turn your file-hosting-business into an isolated entity. So it's still a big resounding NO from me as there are plenty of options for people to (permanently) store data online. And none of them put FECC / PTEF at risk if people decide to share copyrighted content illegally.

On Tape 1972

Post by On Tape 1972 »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
On Tape 1972 wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Also: Not long ago you ran a crowdfunding campaign in order to keep this thing going. It's not going to be any easier with added, costly functionality.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:54 am
fecc-mechanic wrote:
On Tape 1972 wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
In its current state, the platform has options to share a file here and there and that's good enough for this site and its users (of which most don't seem to be too tech savvy, which is perfectly fine). I'm confident in your ability to pull it off technically, but the legal ramifications are - in my opinion - too much to handle for a small team / one person. And you'd have to think about monetization. Plus you could possibly be made partially or fully responsible for copyright infringements made on your platform if the EULA isn't waterproof.

If people want to store personal files online, there are the big ones like Google, Amazon, Microsoft and Apple that are still going to be around in 10+ years. Then there is Box, Dropbox and various private-cloud options with decent privacy protection and security such as Nextcloud. If you want the "zero-knowledge kind of security" there is Proton Drive.

You'd either have to be a sizeable operation that has the manpower to handle everything including legal, or turn your file-hosting-business into an isolated entity. So it's still a big resounding NO from me as there are plenty of options for people to (permanently) store data online. And none of them put FECC / PTEF at risk if people decide to share copyrighted content illegally.
Thank you once again @On Tape 1972 for your input.

Indeed this service would be for larger files than FECC/PTEF can accommodate.

But with offshore servers providing end to end.., it's just encrypted "gobbly gook" until it reaches its audience/recipient.

After almost dying twice in as many years, the legal ramifications (if any, as we know what services are most used, and for what) dont scare me off as perhaps they should.

The goal is not to share truly official copyrighted material, in as much as bootlegs or other such releases skirt past the issue.

FECC/PTEF would never be in danger because project (blank) would be its own entity, isolated..But things are in the early stages of planning (and that is why your input is so valuable @On Tape 1972).

As to your additional post, the crowd funding ensured that I 1.) have the bandwidth needed to do whatever I want. And 2.) have the on board storage to do whatever I want on the servers;

In a question you @On Tape 1972 or others can answer if project (blank), never materializes or is a flop if it does, what would you consider an under-served area in the online Elvis world? It literally could be anything.. the sky is the limit.

I'm here to innovate. Not to antagonize or cause issues.

Jordan

ImageImage

On Tape 1972

Post by On Tape 1972 »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
In a question you @On Tape 1972 or others can answer if project (blank), never materializes or is a flop if it does, what would you consider an under-served area in the online Elvis world? It literally could be anything.. the sky is the limit.

I'm here to innovate. Not to antagonize or cause issues.
If "files" means an open database such as archive.org, just dedicated to EP, that would be an entirely different topic of discussion.

In my little Elvis world the Follow That Dream label is the heart and soul. But the information and discussions on FECC / PTEF have been just as important in the past 20 years. I guess you have a good idea of how many people visit your sites without being registered users and participating in the discussions. I was one of them for more than 15 years. So you're already doing a hell of a lot.

Most of what comes to mind (like dedicated messenger groups or channels) would take away from FECC / PTEF and not add much in the process. I've been playing around with the idea of a dedicated EP crowdfunding operation to buy tapes from private collectors for them to be released on FTD.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

Just seeing this. Not here much on the weekends.

But, yes, I think it's a good idea and you have my blessing.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:53 am
If "files" means an open database such as archive.org, just dedicated to EP, that would be an entirely different topic of discussion.
That could happen as well. And would IMO be a more valuable resource. As it would be open instead of a peer-peer solution.
On Tape 1972 wrote:
Most of what comes to mind (like dedicated messenger groups or channels) would take away from FECC / PTEF and not add much in the process.
Yes, that would be contrary to FECC/PTEF ----- unless it was integrated?
On Tape 1972 wrote:
I've been playing around with the idea of a dedicated EP crowdfunding operation to buy tapes from private collectors for them to be released on FTD.
That would definitely be beneficial for all fans. The hard part is finding collectors willing to sell. Most hold onto tapes (audio and video) as a status symbol and would see them released in any way as a lowering of their "standing" in their circles. Sounds stupid. But that's the eventuality of it all. Impossible? No. We've seen collectors willing to work with FTD before. But in alllllll the releases I'd say it's a rarity. But perhaps with your boost from potential crowd funding it would change their minds. Because we all know FTD has some arbitrary limit they will pay for ANY type of material.
Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:47 pm
But, yes, I think it's a good idea and you have my blessing.
Does this include an Italian dinner ?? Afterall, you are the Godfather of FECC.

Jordan

ImageImage

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

I think the reservations are basically about your workload. Everyone knows you situation, and everyone is grateful for everything you do.

So, a straightforward question on that front - if the servers/websites got hacked again as they did a few weeks back, how much extra work in that scenario would it give you during the restoring process if those files were being held as you propose?

Or could/would the answer be to say "ok, sorry we lost those files" and the uploads are done with everyone know that risk from the start? After all, we all know that nothing on the web is likely to be permanent.

I can understand the benefits of what you suggest, but it's not necessarily what you WANT to do but what you CAN do that's important. And I say that as someone with health issues that often control those things for me - and mine are nowhere near as serious as yours. And I hope that doesn't sound patronising. It's not meant to.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

pmp wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:40 am
And I hope that doesn't sound patronising. It's not meant to.
First, not at all. Wasn't taken that way in any way.
pmp wrote:
I think the reservations are basically about your workload. Everyone knows you situation,
Thar is perfectly understandable. I have learned how precious life is over the past couple of years. But I push forward the best I can.
pmp wrote:
and everyone is grateful for everything you do.
Thank you very much. It feels good to be recognized and appreciated.
pmp wrote:
if the servers/websites got hacked again as they did a few weeks back, how much extra work in that scenario would it give you during the restoring process if those files were being held as you propose?
I see that as a once in a generational event. Doing this since 1996 in one capacity or another, I have never seen the servers hit and almost all the backup servers - (which the mains run hourly now instead of every 2 like before) which are in various parts of the world also get hit. It could be seen as a deliberate and focused act as all logs were also sanitized. But the moment a system is infiltrated the only option is to wipe it and start fresh because I. nor some other tech savy people know how they infiltrated the various security protocols in place. As far as restoring. luckily We had one machine untouched but unfortunately it was the one that held the monthly backups. As far as extra work, more files simply mean it would take longer to restore (which is automated). So, I guess the answer to your question would be it would he stress rather than extra work.
pmp wrote:
Or could/would the answer be to say "ok, sorry we lost those files" and the uploads are done with everyone knowing that risk from the start? After all, we all know that nothing on the web is likely to be permanent.
One thing I learned from this event is that no matter how many security protocols are in place, if someone or some group is determined enough - they WILL get in. The Answer you propose is the least probable (even though it happened). I have since refined the backups to be more secure - and more frequent.

This still raises the question of whether such a service is wanted or needed by all. Indeed, I have plenty of space to do whatever is ultimately decided. Or nothing at all, and just let what we have already continue to grow.

Thank you PMP for your thought-provoking response.

Jordan

ImageImage

pmp

Post by pmp »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:05 pm
Thanks Jordan for the explanations etc. One thing, though...
I see that as a once in a generational event. Doing this since 1996 in one capacity or another, I have never seen the servers hit and almost all the backup servers - (which the mains run hourly now instead of every 2 like before) which are in various parts of the world also get hit....
Didn't something major happen last October - somewhere around the 21st or 22nd - which meant a similar amount of work? Or was that a simpler issue? I seem to recall FECC being down for a couple of days - and Phoenix, too, I think?

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

pmp wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:56 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
I see that as a once in a generational event. Doing this since 1996 in one capacity or another, I have never seen the servers hit and almost all the backup servers - (which the mains run hourly now instead of every 2 like before) which are in various parts of the world also get hit....
Didn't something major happen last October - somewhere around the 21st or 22nd - which meant a similar amount of work? Or was that a simpler issue? I seem to recall FECC being down for a couple of days - and Phoenix, too, I think?
Yes sir. We upgraded to new servers. Different kind of stress. :P

Jordan

ImageImage

pmp

Post by pmp »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:44 am
pmp wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:56 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Yes sir. We upgraded to new servers. Different kind of stress. :P
Ah, ok!

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:14 pm
Does this include an Italian dinner ?? Afterall, you are the Godfather of FECC.
Trust me when I say that if the day ever comes that we can meet in person, dinner of your choosing is on me.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.