Quoting

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Meh1965
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Quoting

Post by Meh1965 »

I am a little fu.ckboi
Last edited by Meh1965 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Same User as the disgraced and banned users: Matilda, MauriceHayes, Pedent, Roustabout1980, etc .

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Quoting

Post by Rob »

I agree that it is very unnecessary in most cases. I never quote the person right above me like so many do. When I do quote, it is usually just a short snippet of what the person said.

But I'm just neat that way.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Moderator3
Forum Moderator
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by Moderator3 »

On those other forums, it is generally down to moderator or administrator preference due to their hosting platform giving them limitations. But our mechanic who is also our host pretty much gives us unlimited space to do as we please.

But I do agree it does look neater and cleaner not to have a nest of quotes at times. At other times it is needed, for instance when the multi-quote function is used for clarification. It is a tool. And like any tool it can be used correctly or..

Will such a thing be prohibited at FECC? No. I highly doubt it.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

Meh1965 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:03 pm
I noticed that a "whole lotta quoting is going on" in this forum. When people reply to a message that is the most recent in a topic, it is still quoted.
I know a lot of other forums where it is considered unnecessary, unwanted and in some cases even prohibited.
I am wondering:
-why people quote a message that is the most recent in a topic
-are any rules set when it comes to quoting?
-why do people not edit their quote so only the quote they are replying to is visible? I see a lot of embedded quotes like this:

Just wondering, not judging.
Moderator3 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:04 pm
On those other forums, it is generally down to moderator or administrator preference due to their hosting platform giving them limitations. But our mechanic who is also our host pretty much gives us unlimited space to do as we please.

But I do agree it does look neater and cleaner not to have a nest of quotes at times. At other times it is needed, for instance when the multi-quote function is used for clarification. It is a tool. And like any tool it can be used correctly or..

I'm still hoping to see less quoting in the future on here.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by mike edwards66 »

Meh1965 wrote:
I noticed that a "whole lotta quoting is going on" in this forum.
I think it's laziness. I have asked the same thing on here too many times to count. It drives me insane. Just quote the part you are replying to, all the rest is there in the previous posts should anybody need to catch up.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

Rob wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:28 pm
Meh1965 wrote:
I noticed that a "whole lotta quoting is going on" in this forum. When people reply to a message that is the most recent in a topic, it is still quoted.
I know a lot of other forums where it is considered unnecessary, unwanted and in some cases even prohibited.
I am wondering:
-why people quote a message that is the most recent in a topic
-are any rules set when it comes to quoting?
-why do people not edit their quote so only the quote they are replying to is visible? I see a lot of embedded quotes like this:

Just wondering, not judging.
Moderator3 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:04 pm

I'm still hoping to see less quoting in the future on here.
What are you guys talking about?

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

mike edwards66 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:28 pm
Meh1965 wrote:
I noticed that a "whole lotta quoting is going on" in this forum.
I think it's laziness. I have asked the same thing on here too many times to count. It drives me insane. Just quote the part you are replying to, all the rest is there in the previous posts should anybody need to catch up.
Much of it, though, is because people are using the forum on their phones. If they just want to quote the last post, but the last post has another seven messages with it, it's actually not that easy to remove them all and just quote the most recent one - on a phone. And I think that's how it gets out of hand.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.