Blank pages on FECC forum

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Blank pages on FECC forum

Post by elvis-fan »

I was curious if anyone else experiences this or might know the cause.

Whenever I click on a page within this forum, instead of going to the new page I get a completely blank screen... like it's trying to load the new page but never does. This happens a lot. And it only seems to happen here. It went away for a while earlier this year but it's back now and happens frequently. It's extremely frustrating and I originally thought it might be because I'm using Chrome, but it happens with MS Edge as well.

Just curious if it happens to anyone else or if anyone might know why it's happening?

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Re: Blank pages on FECC forum

Post by fecc-mechanic »

That's very weird! What "Style" are you using? Is it doing the same thing using the "FECC-Vision" style?
I've heard of certain Trojans that exhibit this. So that is something else to keep in mind.
I've had zero report of this other than yours.
If anybody else experiences this - please post here.

@elvis-fan when the blank screen appears -- what shows in the address bar of your browser?

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Topic author
elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Hi Jordan... I usually use the "modern" style but I did switch to "vision" and it still happens. When I get the blank screen it just says elvis-collectors.com in the address bar... but it says that no matter where I go on the FECC website.
I'm wondering now if there's a setting in the "site settings" that needs to be changed???

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

There's not a site setting for that. Going by the fact it seems like it's isolated to your system, as there aren't any additional reports - please try clearing your browser cache and cookies. I know that I sound like a broken record suggesting that, but it fixes 99.9% of problems.
Also, out of curiosity, do you use any specific browser extensions in your browsers?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by George Smith »

Yup, I've had this situation for the past two weeks, at home and at work.

Using Chrome on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Ironically, it happened again when clicking on this topic.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Greetings @George Smith
So for you, this behavior is new as of 2 weeks ago?
-------
Update:

Oddly enough, it looks to be some funny business in the background with the "Thanks" function which may be causing this error. Will poke deeper in a few hours.

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Yeah I tried clearing absolutely everything... including passwords... and it still does it. It seems to happen more for me at home than at my office but it still happens. Maybe I'll try going to another browser...

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

elvis-fan wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm
Yeah I tried clearing absolutely everything... including passwords... and it still does it. It seems to happen more for me at home than at my office but it still happens. Maybe I'll try going to another browser...
The last thing I would want you to do is to change your browser because of something weird with the forum. However, chrome and Microsoft edge both are using the same "engine". With that in mind, if you do decide to try another - I'd go with Firefox.

Jordan

ImageImage

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

@elvis-fan @George Smith
Please clear your cache/cookies and let me know if the behavior is still continuing. I've changed some code. Thanks for your patience and willingness to assist me in fixing this!

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:13 pm
@elvis-fan @George Smith
Please clear your cache/cookies and let me know if the behavior is still continuing. I've changed some code. Thanks for your patience and willingness to assist me in fixing this!
Don't sweat it... I'm sure it isn't something on your end. I switched to Firefox to see how it reacts... so far so good!!

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Good deal (re: firefox).
The fact that there is more than one user experiencing the issue files it into the "might be something weird going on" file (haha).
But, I have made some code updates and other things (and added some new features along the way --- you'll see one of them when you get the email notifying you of this reply!)..
So IF it was just some errant code (which it looks like it may have been) - it's now fixed and it benefited the board with some new features.
So just like in the real world --- if something doesn't seem right, please (PLEASE!) speak up in this section to let me know!

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Firefox is definitely an improvement over Chrome and Edge. I'll stick with it for now. Thanks Jordan!

BobDylan
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by BobDylan »

It happens to mine too. I click the back arrow and then the topic again and then it works.

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Thank you for your report @BobDylan
If I may ask, when was the last time this happened to you?
Trying to catch it in the server logs, but so far - nothing.

Jordan

ImageImage

BobDylan
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by BobDylan »

Just now. Not even 60 seconds ago.

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Issue reproduced. Re: Blank pages on FECC forum

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Finally I have been able to reproduce the issue.
It occurs only if:
1.) You are using a Chromium based browser (Chrome, Edge, vivaldi, opera, Chromium)
2.) [And this is a biggie) Instead of entering the forum directly, you click the "forum" link on the mainpages' left side frame.
TEMP FIX:
If you go to https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum from your bookmarks/speed-dial/etc instead - the issue will not occur.
Now that I see the how, I have to figure out the why. But for the time being, the above temp fix will keep you from getting the blank pages.

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

This issue should now be resolved. Please report here if this happens to you again. Also report the time, and browser used when the error occurs. In addition, please report if you came to the forum directly (by typing https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum into your browser) or if you came via the "messageboard" link in the main site's left frame.

Jordan

ImageImage