UPDATED: May 11, 1974 Footage + Led Zeppelin

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:43 pm

Didn't see this footage on YouTube yet, so here it is:

From the DVD CALIFORNIA GOLD
CALIFORNIAGOLD.jpg

Some info on the May 11, 1974 LA show(s)

You can enjoy the show on this one:

It was the show that Led Zeppeling attended. Somewhere you can hear Elvis say something like:

"Wait a minute, if we can start together fellas, because we’ve got Led Zeppelin out there, let's try to look like we know what we're doing, whether we do or not."

And here is proof of that:

Enjoy drjohncaprpenter's comment on this post. He shares a lot more information about the Led Zeppelin meeting(s) e.o.Thanks for that!

BONUS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: May 11, 1974 footage

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Last edited by Tom Wilson on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:02 pm

Tom Wilson wrote:That footage is actually from Long Beach Nov 15 1972... :roll:

That's funny.

I am not an expert, so I believe you immediately. Someone must have given me the wrong info.

Thanks!

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Is that YouTube video from your channel? The footage is from the 11-15-1972 Long Beach show, no big deal. Just change the title and you're good.

As for this topic, only 3/4 of Led Zeppelin attended this show. Also there were Bill Wyman from the Rolling Stones and Paul Rodgers from Bad Company. Below is even more information about the 5-11-1974 ES at the Inglewood Forum:

There are two known Led Zeppelin-related meetings with Elvis:

- May 11, 1974 (Hilton Hotel, Inglewood, CA) - Led Zeppelin (Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham only)
Page, Plant, Bonham and Peter Grant (manager) -- John Paul Jones was not around -- are taken back to meet with Presley after the Inglewood Forum ES

- March 1975 (144 Monovale, Beverly Hills, CA) -- John Paul Jones, Richard Cole (tour manager)
They visit Elvis at his home, Cole trades watches with Elvis

---

When Led Zeppelin Met Elvis Presley

What was so neat about Saturday, May 11, 1974 for Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant?

Well, they'd been in Los Angeles to promote the launch of their own label, Swan Song. And this particular evening, along with manager Peter Grant and drummer John Bonham, they went to see a show at the Forum in Inglewood.

It was Elvis Presley, in concert.

Page and Plant, Saturday, May 11, 1974: Elvis Night!
Note: "Elvis on Tour" badges

Bearing "Elvis On Tour" badges, they were ushered into special seats as the lights dropped. Presley knew they were there, giving them a shout out towards the end of his set. After the performance, they were invited back to his hotel suite, across from the Forum.

Concerts West promoter Tom Hulett worked with Led Zeppelin, and was apparently the one who arranged the meeting. Elvis knew the band was outselling him at that time. He said to one of his teen-aged step-brothers, a huge Zep fan, "I may not be Led Zeppelin, but I can still pack 'em in."

When the band attended the evening gig on May 11 in Inglewood, Elvis reminded his rhythm section, which included James Burton, one of Jimmy Page's guitar idols, that they better play their best, because Led Zeppelin was in the audience.

Elvis, "C.C. Rider," The Forum, Saturday, May 11 1974 ES, Inglewood, CA

Supposedly, before the group was allowed into Elvis' suite, they were advised not to speak to Elvis about music. The request was apparently ignored. After they were introduced and had been given drinks, John "Bonzo" Bonham got into a conversation with Elvis about cars. The chit-chat moved to music after a while. Finally, one of Elvis' bodyguards motioned that it was time to go. As they were leaving, Robert gushed, "Elvis, you're my idol. Thanks for letting us come." He and Elvis sang a duet of "Love Me" as the visitors headed for the elevators.

For Led Zeppelin, the best part of the visit might have been when Elvis asked for their autographs! He said they were for his daughter, Lisa Marie.

Postscript

A highlight of a Robert Plant appearance on CBS-TV's "The Late Show with David Letterman" was his finely etched, hilarious memory of this night. Here is a complete transcript I made:

It was absolutely amazing. He was involved with the same agents that we had at the time in the ‘70s and he wanted to know who this bunch of guys were "who were selling tickets quicker than me" and we wanted to know who we were, too!

So, he played the Forum in L.A. and I’d seen him a couple of times, I was really so in awe of him as a singer, and I loved the way he could send himself up, you know. He'd been doing, I mean, you know, we’re all one trick ponies, singers generally, (some) can’t see the humor in it, but he did.

Um, so we met him after a show, and, um, we went to the top floor of whatever the cheap hotel was, and a couple of gorillas at the elevators. They moved us down into this kind of holding station, where, and it was one of those long suites where a door opens into another door, like "Get Smart," whatever, on and on and on, you know, and the whole place was full of Sandra Dee, sort of Stella Stevens cutouts, which is perfect for me. A pencil skirt and a beehive and I'm gone, somewhat, stilettos out. That shows your age, doesn’t it?

And then, when the room was suitably full, the door opened at the end and this guy came in, and he sort of moved around the couches, like this and like that (demonstrates). He was actually doing his show, he was doing a better show in the, you know, in that suite than he was at night, you know, on the stage. And we talked for about an hour and a half. The amazing thing is, that it was so natural and it was so funny and great. And, of course, music was the key again.

Did you explain to him what his music and what he represented had meant to you?

Absolutely, yeah. And he was so aware of all the impersonators and stuff. And you can imagine how I feel. You know, through the ‘70s, everybody took their shirts off, but they just didn’t have the right chest. And now you see where it's ended me up.

Did you ever mention to him how you incorporated your music and your career, and your young time on stage?

Yeah, well he said, "Well, what are you guys, what's your music roots?" And we all got the same roots, you know, that sort of blues out of Memphis and Mississippi and stuff. And he said "Well, you know, do you do a lot of rehearsals?" and of course Led Zeppelin didn’t really show up until the gig was almost over before we actually arrived, in those days. So we didn’t do many sound checks. But when we did, I used to like to sing, in those big arenas, his songs, because they sounded even bigger.

So he said, "Well, which songs do you like?" And I said “Well, I like loads of ‘em, but I do sing this song 'Love Me.’ (sings "You can treat me like a fool ...") So we talked and talked, and then we said goodbye, shook hands and said we’d all meet again. And we're out in the corridor, we're heading for the elevator, and suddenly he swings around the door and says “Hey Robert!” And he started singing ("Love Me") to me, and I was singing (it) to him, and we were all crying.

Robert Plant
"The Late Show with David Letterman"
CBS-TV, New York, NY
Friday, February 4, 2011

"It's been a long time since I rock 'n' rolled."

Elvis in bad ass mode, Los Angeles, May 1974
Note: Linda Thompson and Red West trailing behind.

And Elvis doesn't quite introduce the group, as make reference to them. Towards the end of the show, after a false start on "Funny How Times Slips Away," he admonishes his backup musicians.

"Wait a minute, wait a minute, hold it. (Laughs) If we could start together, fellas, because we got Led Zeppelin out there, and Jimmy Darren, and uh, a whole bunch of people. And ... let's try and make it look like we know what we're doing, whether we do or not."

- Elvis, Saturday evening, May 11, 1974 - Inglewood Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab-efai_B5I&t=3370

Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: LongBeach '72 footage

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:57 pm

s that YouTube video from your channel? The footage is from the 11-15-1972 Long Beach show, no big deal. Just change the title and you're good.

Corrected! Got this in an exchange of footage via WeTransfer. If it's right I'm getting the whole California Gold DVD now. To make it up with me. So that's nice :D

Thanks again for the great info!

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:31 am

MikeFromHolland wrote:
s that YouTube video from your channel? The footage is from the 11-15-1972 Long Beach show, no big deal. Just change the title and you're good.

Corrected! Got this in an exchange of footage via WeTransfer. If it's right I'm getting the whole California Gold DVD now. To make it up with me. So that's nice :D

I meant edit the YouTube video's title. The bulk of this topic is about the 5-11-1974 ES in Inglewood, CA, but no one will know from your edit here.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

I meant edit the YouTube video's title. The bulk of this topic is about the 5-11-1974 ES in Inglewood, CA, but no one will know from your edit here.

I know. Just be patient, sir. Tomorrow there's another day... :wink:

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:08 am

Doc, this is one of the best pictures of Elvis in the 70's in my opinion (in black leather jacket and blue jeans). Regarding Led Zeppelin-every time I read about their 2 meetings with Elvis (not the whole band but of some members) I am very happy. Robert Plant and Elvis singing Love Me-maybe the greatest private singing moment of Elvis with another celebrity. Thank you very much, Doc for the whole story.
Last edited by jurasic1968 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:17 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, this is one of the best pictures of Elvis in the 70's in my opinion (in black leather jacket and blue jeans). Regarding Led Zeppelin-every time I read about their 2 meeting with Elvis (not the whole band but of some members) I am very happy. Robert Plant and Elvis singing Love Me-maybe the greatest private singing moment of Elvis with another celebrity. Thank you very much, Doc for the whole story.

Elvis in blue jeans? I don't think so.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:50 am

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

I know. Just be patient, sir. Tomorrow there's another day... :wink:

Corrected and updated with the clip I wanted to share in the first place...

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Mister Mike wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Doc, this is one of the best pictures of Elvis in the 70's in my opinion (in black leather jacket and blue jeans). Regarding Led Zeppelin-every time I read about their 2 meeting with Elvis (not the whole band but of some members) I am very happy. Robert Plant and Elvis singing Love Me-maybe the greatest private singing moment of Elvis with another celebrity. Thank you very much, Doc for the whole story.

Elvis in blue jeans? I don't think so.

Forever in blue jeans, babe.

Re: UPDATED: May 11, 1974 Footage + Led Zeppelin

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:16 pm

This long, about a decade old Robert Plant interview has been linked here numerous times, but to those of you that might have missed it, here it is again. I've linked to part 5 which deals about his musical influences (and Elvis in particular, including the meet in LA), but the whole thing is well worth wading through.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:25 pm

So what kind of trousers Elvis had?

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:33 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:So what kind of trousers Elvis had?

Can't see :(

Source: Candid Central

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks for the topic - Great!

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Sorry, maybe I had a wrong perception about Elvis' pants in the picture Doc posted.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:53 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Sorry, maybe I had a wrong perception about Elvis' pants in the picture Doc posted.

When you look really fast the "blue" glimmering reflecting on his leather coat on that particular pic indeed looks a bit like a jeans. I had to look twice as well when I read your remark.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:06 pm

and in more than one interview Robert said he had already seen him a couple times. The other times were at MSG (he talked about that in concert on Zeppelin's June 1972 tour) and Vegas in 69.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:As for this topic, only 3/4 of Led Zeppelin attended this show. Also there were Bill Wyman from the Rolling Stones and Paul Rodgers from Bad Company.

Below is a portion of an article about Paul Rodgers attending the Elvis concert.

Click below to read both Pages 1 and 2 -->

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2015/ ... fLaKx.dpbs

Behind the Curtain: Taking Paul Rodgers to an Elvis Presley Concert in Los Angeles

Paul was obviously enjoying these early days with Bad Company and was in justifiably excellent spirits. He knew how good his new band sounded and was confident and animated in telling me about them. Using the pen to cut big circles in the air like a magic wand, he said, “I feel there’s more potential in this band at this stage than there was with Free at the same point in time.”

We spoke for over an hour and everybody chimed in with personal thoughts and feelings. It was a sensational interview and I knew I had everything I needed for an excellent story for Rolling Stone. I truly felt a real connection with Paul, which gave me the courage to do what I did next: invite the singer to see Elvis Presley.

Presley was performing that night at the Inglewood Forum and I knew Rodgers was a huge fan. He even tried to sneak into Graceland one time back when he was with Free. Fighting through my nervousness and with an audible stutter I asked, “P-Paul? Elvis is playing tonight. Would you want to g-g-go see him?” His eyes lit up and with a smile like a kid on Christmas, he said, “Really? Yeah, man.”

I returned to the hotel several hours later and picked him up. We took the elevator down to the lobby floor and exited the front doors. As we walked towards my car parked in the valet area, he said, “Is that yours? A Triumph Herald?”

He was probably the only person in West Hollywood and maybe the only one in all of California who would have recognized the make and model of this faded racing green convertible with a ragged and irregular hole cut out of the rear plastic window.

This box on wheels was the ugliest car you’d ever seen but beautiful in a sort of hideous way. The 1967 Herald had been an English design but was never imported to America because it was so unpopular and well, just damn unattractive. The Spitfire and the TR6 made it across the Atlantic but not the Herald.

Which was why I was driving one of probably only a handful of them in the entire country. But being an Englishman, Paul knew what it was and slid into the passenger’s seat as if he’d been there all his life. It didn’t matter that the upholstery was torn, there was no radio and the wooden dashboard was cracked. At that moment, it was a Ferrari.

As we made the 45-minute drive to the Inglewood Forum—a huge 17,000-seat arena where the Los Angeles Lakers played—Paul couldn’t stop talking about finally seeing Elvis. We parked and I handed Paul his ticket. He looked at it like it was the Holy Grail itself. We walked inside, found our seats and from the moment the singer took the stage, Rodgers could barely contain himself.

Every time Elvis would flip a hip or toss out a scarf to the outstretched arms of adoring fans, Paul would react as if he’d been punched. He was screaming, shouting and jumping up and down like a kid. It was astonishing to watch and in fact I spent more time looking at Paul than I did at Presley.

Paul was acting the way I did when I first saw Free so many years earlier opening for Blind Faith and then just a couple years later during that infamous soundcheck. Watching Paul Rodgers while he watched a then-34-year old Elvis do his thing felt like an out-of-body experience. It was hard for me to imagine that I was sitting next to one of the truly great singers of our time while he sat there listening to his hero perform. It was like some perfect circle.

Truth be told, I can’t remember too much about Elvis’ performance. I was never a fan but even if I was it would have been impossible to concentrate on what was happening onstage with Paul Rodgers sitting next to me.

Paul was ecstatic following the show. He couldn’t say enough about how great Elvis was and how much he wanted to meet him. The lights came up and as everybody was exiting the arena, Paul saw various members of Led Zeppelin along with manager Peter Grant going backstage. We hurried towards the area where Zep had been. I knew I wouldn’t be able to go backstage but I didn’t really care. I would have left and the singer would have gotten a ride back to the hotel with the band. I just wanted Paul to get to meet his hero.

However, we were stopped by a pair of burly bodyguards guarding the backstage entrance. I tried to explain to them that this was Paul Rodgers and he was part of the Zeppelin entourage that just went through but they weren’t budging. Paul tried explaining, “But I’m P-Paul Rodgers. That’s my manager,” pointing to the retreating form of Grant.

Eventually, we had a message relayed backstage and Peter came back out. He told Paul he couldn’t get him in. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I was humiliated and embarrassed for Paul. We walked back to the car and drove north on La Cienega Boulevard back to the Continental Hyatt House.

If he was hurt by being treated so selfishly—it felt as if Zep wanted an audience with the King all by themselves—he didn’t show it. Paul was jubilant and could barely contain himself about seeing Presley. We returned to the hotel and Paul told me, “I’ll just tell my friends I talked to him anyway.” He had purchased a souvenir booklet and would use that as evidence though Paul and I would always know the truth.