Houston 1970 concerts - Footage and loads of pics...

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:25 pm

The Deer Park Progress (February 19, 1970)
Source: http://www.elvisconcerts.com

Houston, February 27 - March 1, 1970

Elvis arrives on February 25, 1970 with the private plane of Kirk Kerkorian

A brief press conference at the airport on 25 February:

Houston Press Conference February 25, 1970

Posted on YT by MrMazins1

The first performance on 27 February, including the entrance to the arena:

February 28, leaving after the evening show:

Various:

CONCERT DATE: February 28 1970 (7:45 pm). Houston TX.

Elvis Brings down House At The Dome
by Charles Garder
Houston Post
March 1, 1970

Elvis Presley brought down the house and all the attendance records of the houston Live stock Show and Rodeo came tumbling down on the shoulders of his white shirt Saturday night at the Astrodome.

Presley, the entertainment sensation of 15 years ago, is making his first public appearance in 10 years and he proved his audience appeal still exists, at least in Houston.

The largest crowd ever to attend a rodeo performance to Houston - 43,614 screaming fans - were present Saturday night for the rodeo and Elvis' fourth of six performances.

He had drawn the largest matinee crowd - 34,443 Saturday and his two performance total excceded by 3079 the two-performance total attracted by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans here two years ago.

Elvis returns for two shows at 2 and 7 pm today and tickets are still available for both performances.

The four performances in wich Presley, his band and vocal grouphave appeared have drawn a total of 131,064 people to the Astrodome.

It is by far the greatest start that the Hosuton event has made since it moved to the Dome in 1966. The show's attendance record was established in 1968 and through Saturday night of that year a total of 117,695 people had attended five performances, one more than this year.

The attendance records are, of course, world marks for indoor rodeo events.

Presley who has never been known as a talker on stage, probably expressed it perfectly Saturday night when he commented:

"You have been a fantastic audience," he said prior to introducing his associate in the 45-minute show.

Police are stationed around the arena to keep the audience away from Elvis but Saturday afternoon, a fan sneaked in through the rodep chutes and was within a few feet of the star when he was apprehended by police.

The giant audience was alsoan inspiration for the cowboys.

Jimmy Dix took the first go round lead in the bareback competition. Bernard Betz grabbed the lead in the calf roping event and Dan Willis moved to the front in the Brahma bull riding.

Courtesy of Sebastiano Cecere

Taken from the fantastic site http://www.elvisconcerts.com, where you'll find much more information and articles about these Houston concerts and many others...

Houston Astrodome, 1970.

Posted on YT by MrMazins1

Elvis Presley At The Dome - Record Houston Texas March 1, 1970

Song list
1.All Shook Up
2.I Got A Woman
3.Blue Suede Shoes
4.Dont Cry Daddy
5.Heartbreak Hotel
6.Hound Dog
7.Love Me Tender
8.Kentucky Rain
9.Ralease Me
10.Walk A Mile In My Shoes
11.In The Ghetto
12.I Cant Stop Loving You
13.Polk Salad Annie
14.Introductions
15.Suspicious Minds
16.Cant Help Falling In Love
17.Love Me Tender(Instrumental

Posted on YT by petri10000001

Press Conference March 1, 1970 after the evening show:

Elvis received five new gold discs by Vice-President RCA Rocco Ginestra:

Departure from Houston March 2:

Sources
https://www.youtube.com/user/petri10000001/videos?spfreload=10
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMazins1/videos
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/news1970.htm
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press410.htm
https://pp.vk.me/c402117

Re: Houston 1970 concerts - Footage and loads of pics...

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Wonderful, wonderful stuff. Thanks.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks for the credits and for the post. Well done

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:18 pm

Great!!!! Thanks a lot, Mike.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Nice stuff, although it's frustrating to see how some of FECC's photos and information get pulled and recycled without credit.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:40 pm

makes me desperate for a soundboard from these shows :x :)

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:55 pm

Wow - awesome job Mike :smt023

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:21 am

FANTASTIC THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:26 am

Thank you for your appreciation y'all!

All credits to the original posters and scanners!!! Wish I knew who they were, so I could give them all the credits they deserve!

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:09 am

Enjoyed this very much. Thank you! When I see all these images, I believe Elvis looks significantly younger here than he does in August 1970.

Great thread.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:19 am

Just saw this topic:

First 1970 Houston Show - Which Suit?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88480#p1390549
Please visit it for more info.

To make this thread more complete, the pictures that were posted there:

Posted by drjohncarpenter, including dates and info

OS February 27, 1970 - One Night

Elvis only played "One Night" on the electric at this performance.

OS February 27, 1970 - Suspicious Minds

Posted by steevefry, including dates and info

Friday, February 27, 1970. 2:00pm

Friday, February 27, 1970. 2:00pm

Posted by Vince_Everett

Elvis Presley Electric Guitar Feb 1970

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Elvis's first engagement at the Houston Astrodome represented the kind of challenge that seemed good for him in many ways. He was marvellous in Las Vegas the year before and earlier in 1970, whilst it was inevitable that Elvis would either tour or perform at major events elsewhere. The Astrodome was perfect, given the stature of the venue and where it was in the country -- Elvis (as we know) played frequently in Texas during his formative years and throughout the 1970s.

It's actually surprising that Elvis didn't perform more often at the Astrodome. Not necessarily on an annual basis or at the Livestock Show, but his own concert, which could have proven more lucrative than being part of a major event. This was certainly realised with his New Year concert at the Pontiac Silverdome, whilst his 1974 engagement at the Astrodome was also a major success.

Granted, there was issues with the sound in the Astrodome, which seems to have been a common complaint, but Elvis could have done almost anything in 1970, moving from Las Vegas to the Astrodome, national tours, the world, and every major venue or lucrative market along the way. He done more than alright, of course, although the gambling tables of Las Vegas were a siren call for Parker that drowned out many other possibilities because of his fetters and greed. Playing in Las Vegas has its own rewards and Elvis accomplished great things there in 1969/1970, but with money being such a concern for Parker, it's certainly curious that he didn't pursue other major events. Not simply with regards to money, but opportunity and exposure. Then again, Parker craved a whip hand over everything in Elvis's career, and his own insecurities probably reflected on many of the decisions he made for Elvis.

Elvis was paid $150,000 for his six concerts at the Astrodome in 1970. Which averages $25,000 for each performance. This, bearing in mind, that Elvis's weekly salary in Las Vegas was $125,000 (expenses considered, of course). Judy Garland was paid $43,000 for her 1965 concert at the Astrodome, which drew 60,000 fans. I don't think it's far-fetched to assume that Elvis could have earned as much money for a one-off show and played to a similar-sized crowd in the early-seventies. Does anyone know what Elvis was paid for his 1974 concerts at the Astrodome?

Great topic, though, and a fantastic post to start this thread. The Astrodome has always fascinated me, whilst some of my favourite singers have performed there over the years. It's a pity Elvis's concerts weren't better documented. Although there's some good photographs and intriguing 8mm film - not to mention the press conference footage - but considering the amount of times Elvis stepped on stage after the Comeback Special and before That's the Way it Is, it's astounding that no professional footage exists with regards to a number of shows.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Thnxs Mike :smt023

Michel.

::rocks

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Thank you MikeFromHolland for this cool thread. Wish we had professional footage or multitracks from these performances.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Great topic mike,
here some of the photo's in HQ

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks for this fantastic post!

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:18 pm

And some more.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:28 pm

And more

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:16 pm

A big thank you, Johnny2523!

Any idea from what dates/shows these are?

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Greystoke wrote:Elvis was paid $150,000 for his six concerts at the Astrodome in 1970. Which averages $25,000 for each performance. This, bearing in mind, that Elvis's weekly salary in Las Vegas was $125,000 (expenses considered, of course). Judy Garland was paid $43,000 for her 1965 concert at the Astrodome, which drew 60,000 fans. I don't think it's far-fetched to assume that Elvis could have earned as much money for a one-off show and played to a similar-sized crowd in the early-seventies. Does anyone know what Elvis was paid for his 1974 concerts at the Astrodome?

Another shining example of how his personal appearance services were underbid right out of the gate following 1968's Singer Presents television special. Parker was out of touch with the value of his artist.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Elvis was paid an average income in Houston and Las Vegas and also in Hollywood Paramount films excepting, ironically, Easy Come, Easy Go, the worst of them all (close to PHS anyway)

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:26 pm

From the Graceland 2016 auction:

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:07 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Elvis was paid an average income in Houston and Las Vegas and also in Hollywood Paramount films excepting, ironically, Easy Come, Easy Go, the worst of them all (close to PHS anyway)

I do think it has to be appreciated that the Houston Live Stock Shows were events with several popular acts booked to perform. In this regard, Elvis was unlikely to be paid the same money as a headline act taking their own show to the Astrodome. That's because other performers had to be paid. I don't know what they were paid, but I would think Elvis was on top dollar in every possible respect.

Which isn't to say that he couldn't have returned to the Astrodome with his own show and a higher (top) ticket price. This could have meant earnings of $40,000 or $50,000 for a single show. But that didn't happen, and whilst Elvis was one of the highest paid acts in Las Vegas, he had to work for it (e.g., Sinatra got the same money for less shows) and, typically, played more shows than he actually needed to. This, not to mention Tom Parker's fee on top of what Elvis was paying him. That money should have been in Elvis's pocket.

With regards to Hal Wallis, he did pay Elvis well. The salary Elvis received from Wallis was less than other studios paid, but those were contracts agreed upon on the strength of the Wallis contracts and the success of movies that were made whilst Elvis was under contract to Wallis. Who had no reason or need to pay Elvis more when he was already under contract -- although contracts were amended in accordance with Elvis's ability to generate box office success. Which was only right. But Elvis was one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood -- and actually became one of the most overpaid, in my opinion.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:45 pm

midnightx wrote:
Greystoke wrote:Elvis was paid $150,000 for his six concerts at the Astrodome in 1970. Which averages $25,000 for each performance. This, bearing in mind, that Elvis's weekly salary in Las Vegas was $125,000 (expenses considered, of course). Judy Garland was paid $43,000 for her 1965 concert at the Astrodome, which drew 60,000 fans. I don't think it's far-fetched to assume that Elvis could have earned as much money for a one-off show and played to a similar-sized crowd in the early-seventies. Does anyone know what Elvis was paid for his 1974 concerts at the Astrodome?

Another shining example of how his personal appearance services were underbid right out of the gate following 1968's Singer Presents television special. Parker was out of touch with the value of his artist.

I agree but I'd go a little bit further and say Parker was out of touch, full stop.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:03 am

Fabulous pictures!!!!................I have a reel to reel from Rex Martin years ago (1970) with the shows that Maria and her friend taped there (all of them).................I think the quality is much superior to what I've heard........have to dig out the ol reel to reel and the tapes and listen again........................but I've got a few more projects to get on with before I do that............. :)