Photographer Jock Carroll - 2 days in New York - 1956

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Photographer Jock Carroll - 2 days in New York - 1956

Post by MikeFromHolland »

In the thread on Alfred Wertheimer photos of Elvis, DrJohnCarpenter made the remark that some outside photos weren't made by Wertheimer.
drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm pretty sure the ones outside of RCA NY are not by Al Wertheimer
I was wondering who made them if it wasn't Wertheimer, so I did some research. Just for the fun of it.

This afternoon I found out who the photographer of those outside of RCA NY pictures is: Jock Carroll. He died in 1995 at the age of 76.

He also made this well known Marilyn Monroe picture.

His son - Angus Carrol - has a blog, and on this page I found the pictures of his dad: https://anguscarroll.wordpress.com/2010/06/11/on-the-brink-of-fame/.

When my father, Jock Carroll, died in 1995 at the age of 76, he left behind thousands of photographs he had taken while on assignment for Weekend Magazine. Weekend was a Sunday newspaper supplement in Canada where, over a period of 20 years, he was a photojournalist, war correspondent and associate editor.

He interviewed and photographed many famous people while at Weekend, including Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lewis, Gloria Swanson, Joe Louis, and Arnold Palmer. When Jock left the magazine, he acquired the copyright to all his photographs and articles, and to date two books of his black-and-white photographs have been published: Falling for Marilyn: The Lost Niagara Collection (Friedman/Fairfax, 1996), and Glenn Gould: Some Portraits of the Artist as a Young Man (Stoddart, 1995). Although Jock was involved in planning both books, he did not live to see either published.

(..)

In 1956, Jock was sent to New York to interview Elvis Presley, then 21 years old. Jock did not want to go He did not think much of New York, and even less of “rock’n’roll” Still, it was an assignment, and he flew to New York and spent two days with Elvis the weekend he was to make his first appearance on national television. Like Marilyn, Elvis was at the beginning of his career. He had several hits under his belt-including Heartbreak Hotel- but he was not yet a superstar.

Once again, Jock’s timing was fortunate. On Sunday, July 1, Elvis performed two songs on The Steve Allen Show. The first was I Wont You, I Need You, I Love You, the second an unrecorded song called Hound Dog. Elvis recorded the song at the RCA studios in New York the next day, and it would go on to become one of his biggest hits. Although Jock took just a handful of photographs in the course of this assignment, one of them happened to be of Elvis on stage singing Hound Dog to a bewildered Basset Hound.

Ed Sullivan, who had said he would never have Elvis on his show, apparently changed his mind when The Steve Allen Show eclipsed his own show in the ratings because of Elvis. Sullivan had Elvis on his show on September 9 – an estimated 54 million viewers tuned in.

The title of Jock’s article was I Like Elvis Presley. Expecting the worst, Jock was no doubt surprised. He found Elvis to be polite and modest. He didn’t drink, smoke, or swear. And he went to church. In his hotel room, Jock interviewed him along with two other reporters. When asked about his plans for the following week, Elvis said he would be in Memphis. Only when prompted for more information did he reveal that the show was a benefit for the Memphis Variety Club.

When asked how he felt about some of the critical stories that had been written about him, he said, “1 don’t blame them. They’ve got a job to do, just like me.”
Inevitably, the question came up about how he came to make his first record. “Just by accident,” Elvis answered. He had seen a sign for Memphis Recording Services while driving a truck, and returned later on his own time. For $400, he recorded That’s When Your Heartaches Begin by the lnkspots and My Happiness, a popular ballad.
Sam Phillips, who owned Sun Records, was there, and Elvis said,”He buried his head in his hands for 45 minutes. When I finished he said, ‘You have a very interesting voice there.’ He said he would call me. A year and a half later he did.” RCA Victor subsequently bought his contract from Phillips for $40,000. That turned out to be an extremely good investment.

Although Jock liked Elvis, he misread the situation. He thought Elvis was a flash in the pan, that the furor would die down quickly and he would soon be forgotten. When Colonel Tom Parker, Elvis’s manager, eager to get his artist as much press coverage as possible, asked Jock to join them for the next two weeks on tour, he declined. “That was a mistake,” Jock later admitted.

Elvis was already traveling all the time and doing about ten shows a month, a schedule that would get even more demanding. Though Jock read Elvis’s future wrong, the young singer’s mother proved a near-psychic.
“What about these songs you’re singing now? It’s a question basically of selling sex, isn’t it?” one reporter asked.
“I never looked at it that way. I don’t try to sell sex,” Elvis said.
“How about your parents? What do they think about it?”
“Well, my folks are in the same boat as I am. One day I said, ‘Momma, do you think I’m vulgar on the stage?'”
“What did she say?”
“No, son, you just do what you feel. But you work too hard. You’re never going to be an old man. You’ll wear yourself out.”

Since 2006 all pictures made by Jock Carroll are stored and archived at The Canada Archives and The Library of Canada:

Jock Carroll in 1945:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

ElvisAronPresley1935
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Photographer Jock Carroll - 2 days in New York - 1956

Post by ElvisAronPresley1935 »

Thanks for the info Mike, you seem to be able to find anything when you put yourself to it. One thing that really stuck to me has to be what Gladys told his son about how he will never be an old man due to all the hard work.

It's funny how a lot of people, especially those in the business, thought that Elvis would be nothing but a flash in the pan and oh how wrong they were.

Thanks again Mike!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

ElvisAronPresley1935 wrote:Thanks for the info Mike, you seem to be able to find anything when you put yourself to it. One thing that really stuck to me has to be what Gladys told his son about how he will never be an old man due to all the hard work.

It's funny how a lot of people, especially those in the business, thought that Elvis would be nothing but a flash in the pan and oh how wrong they were.

Thanks again Mike!

Thanks ElvisAronPresley1935! It may look as if I find anything, but that's because I only share what I find. There's a lot more I can't find, but you won't hear me about that :wink:

It's funny indeed how a lot of people didn't think that much of Elvis back in the day. I'm glad they were proven wrong :D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

Thanks, Mike.

Good stuff !

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Thanks, Mike.

Good stuff !
Thank you! I was surprised to find out that Wertheimer wasn't the only photographer at Steve Allen's.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

MikeFromHolland wrote:

Good stuff !
Thank you! I was surprised to find out that Wertheimer wasn't the only photographer at Steve Allen's.

Yeah, the studios usually have their own photographers on board also, don't they?

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

Good stuff !

Yeah, the studios usually have their own photographers on board also, don't they?
Don't know how they worked back at the day. Jock was working for a magazine. "Weekend Magazine" his son says. Can't find this magazine when I google it :( .

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by George Smith »

This is excellent, Mike, thank you.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

George Smith wrote:This is excellent, Mike, thank you.
You're welcome George. Glad you like it.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

MikeFromHolland wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

Good stuff !

Don't know how they worked back at the day. Jock was working for a magazine. "Weekend Magazine" his son says. Can't find this magazine when I google it :( .
Thats what i've read that the studio lot usually have their own photographers also. Any photos you see of the first three Dorsey shows were taken (usually rehearsals) by a studio photographer on the lot - that probably explains why there's very few photos of the first three shows. Wertheimer didn't come along until March '56, the 4th show, I think.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

mysterytrainrideson wrote: Thats what i've read that the studio lot usually have their own photographers also. Any photos you see of the first three Dorsey shows were taken (usually rehearsals) by a studio photographer on the lot - that probably explains why there's very few photos of the first three shows. Wertheimer didn't come along until March '56, the 4th show, I think.
That the studio lot usually had their own photographers gave me an idea. It made me search the internet and I found something wonderful because of your remark. Will share it later this week. Thanks for the inspiration :D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:Thank you! I was surprised to find out that Wertheimer wasn't the only photographer at Steve Allen's.
Al definitely wasn't the only photographer the next day, at RCA New York.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:Thank you! I was surprised to find out that Wertheimer wasn't the only photographer at Steve Allen's.
Al definitely wasn't the only photographer the next day, at RCA New York.
Do you by any chance know who the others were?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

MikeFromHolland wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote: Thats what i've read that the studio lot usually have their own photographers also. Any photos you see of the first three Dorsey shows were taken (usually rehearsals) by a studio photographer on the lot - that probably explains why there's very few photos of the first three shows. Wertheimer didn't come along until March '56, the 4th show, I think.
That the studio lot usually had their own photographers gave me an idea. It made me search the internet and I found something wonderful because of your remark. Will share it later this week. Thanks for the inspiration :D
Thanks Mike.

Can't wait to see what you've got.

Later this week i'm meeting up with a friend who's gonna sell me 12 original 50's UK mags. As far as I can see, searching this forum, those mags have not been scanned or mentioned on here. I shall post pages of them on here (main section) so hopely they will be of interest to people.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Looking carefully at the Jock Carroll photos, they seem to be in front of the Hudson Theatre, 146 W 44th Street, the left hand exit door.

560701_outside Hudson Theatre_New York_Carroll_01.JPG
560701_outside Hudson Theatre_New York_Carroll_02.JPG
110700_Hudson Theatre_New York.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:Looking carefully at the Jock Carroll photos, they seem to be in front of the Hudson Theatre, 146 W 44th Street, the left hand exit door.

560701_outside Hudson Theatre_New York_Carroll_01.JPG
560701_outside Hudson Theatre_New York_Carroll_02.JPG
110700_Hudson Theatre_New York.JPG

I knew they were taken in front of the Hudson Theatre. Very nice to see the exact same place from more distance now. Had no idea it looked like that. Thank you!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Thanks Mike.

Can't wait to see what you've got.

Later this week i'm meeting up with a friend who's gonna sell me 12 original 50's UK mags. As far as I can see, searching this forum, those mags have not been scanned or mentioned on here. I shall post pages of them on here (main section) so hopely they will be of interest to people.
Wow, that will be fantastic! Problem with posting them in the main section is that they are out of sight before you know it. I would place them here or in the dedicated Mag. corner as well. That way people interested in those mags can easily find them later on.

I'm really looking forward!

::rocks

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

jon_burrows
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by jon_burrows »

Thanks, Mike. Cool thread.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

jon_burrows wrote:Thanks, Mike. Cool thread.
You're welcome, my pleasure :D

Looks like it's becoming a series on Photographers, with a thread on each photographer

::rocks

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Mississippi
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Mississippi »

Topic author
MikeFromHolland