Snapshots from the Donna Lewis Scrapbook

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Snapshots from the Donna Lewis Scrapbook

Post by MikeFromHolland »

In my "Elvis On Tour In The Sixties" topic in the All Elvis-section, I mention the Donna Lewis Diaries.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87031

Who is Donna Lewis? From her site:
During the 60's and 70's Donna and her family lived within a mile of Graceland. They were lucky enought to attend showings of hundreds of first-run movies with Elvis at his midnight shows. Donna watched what Elvis did, saw what he wore and she listened to what he said, night after night. From the eyes of a child to the views of a woman she wrote daily about those happenings in her diaries through the years.

On this site also some seldom seen snapshots, taken by her and her mother Mary, that comes from her personal Scrapbook. Unfortunately they are a bit small.

Elvis and Donna in the front yard of Graceland, July 1969:
1969 07 00 01 - Elvis and Donna Lewis - photo by Mary Lewis.jpg
1969 07 00 02 - Elvis and Donna Lewis - photo by Mary Lewis.jpg

1969 07 00 03 - In front of Graceland, Donna Lewis facing camera.jpg
Elvis in the front yard of Graceland. Elvis is on a horse but the crowds are so close that you almost can't see the horse. Donna is facing the camera.

1962 07 21 - At the Memphis Fairgrounds.jpg
Elvis at the Memphis Fairgrounds. This picture was taken July 21,1962

1969 07 00 04 - With Donna Lewis - Elvis doing the Tarzan yell.jpg
Elvis and Donna at Graceland 1969. Elvis is doing a Tarzan yell.

Source: http://hurryhomeelvis.i8.com/index.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Snapshots from the Donna Lewis Scrapbook

Post by Tony.. »

Elvis obviously liked her!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Tony.. wrote:Elvis obviously liked her!
It shows, indeed :D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
If you read her three-volume diaries, what you actually learn is Elvis liked her mother, father and whole family. They were among the few non-relatives allowed to attend his new year's eve parties and all the movie nights when he was in town. Donna carefully noted in her diary every film they saw, and Elvis' comments on them. She even watched him act in a manner that was otherwise undocumented in the major biographies, fascinating context to the superstar in a semi-private setting. Elvis even hired her dad to work for him at one point.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
If you read her three-volume diaries, what you actually learn is Elvis liked her mother, father and whole family. They were among the few non-relatives allowed to attend his new year's eve parties and all the movie nights when he was in town. Donna carefully noted in her diary every film they saw, and Elvis' comments on them. She even watched him act in a manner that was otherwise undocumented in the major biographies, fascinating context to the superstar in a semi-private setting. Elvis even hired her dad to work for him at one point.
Thank you, Doc. I haven't read the diaries. "She even watched him act in a manner that was otherwise undocumented in the major biographies". Anything nice to share for those who haven't read it?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If you read her three-volume diaries, what you actually learn is Elvis liked her mother, father and whole family. They were among the few non-relatives allowed to attend his new year's eve parties and all the movie nights when he was in town. Donna carefully noted in her diary every film they saw, and Elvis' comments on them. She even watched him act in a manner that was otherwise undocumented in the major biographies, fascinating context to the superstar in a semi-private setting. Elvis even hired her dad to work for him at one point.
Thank you, Doc. I haven't read the diaries. "She even watched him act in a manner that was otherwise undocumented in the major biographies". Anything nice to share for those who haven't read it?
Well, it involves a bottle of bourbon.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If you read her three-volume diaries, what you actually learn is Elvis liked her mother, father and whole family. They were among the few non-relatives allowed to attend his new year's eve parties and all the movie nights when he was in town. Donna carefully noted in her diary every film they saw, and Elvis' comments on them. She even watched him act in a manner that was otherwise undocumented in the major biographies, fascinating context to the superstar in a semi-private setting. Elvis even hired her dad to work for him at one point.
Thank you for this friendly and freely delivered information Doc! Only makes one more curious :D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:Thank you, Doc. I haven't read the diaries. "She even watched him act in a manner that was otherwise undocumented in the major biographies". Anything nice to share for those who haven't read it?
Thank you for this friendly and freely delivered information Doc! Only makes one more curious :D
I'll see if I can find it. None of the volumes has an index, so one needs to keep copious notes to important dates and events she witnessed.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

I'll see if I can find it. None of the volumes has an index, so one needs to keep copious notes to important dates and events she witnessed.
I understand. An index is always helpful. Hope you'll find it :D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Lexie1973
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by Lexie1973 »

When I was in Memphis january 2014 I came across Donna's books (the three volumes of her diary) at the gift shop in Marlowe's. I had been looking for these books but found the prices online kind of high. In that shop they were affordable. When I checked out the nice lady at the cash out desk told me that the lady that wrote the diaries was somewhere in the restaurant at that moment! She offered to get her over to sign the books. So I got to meet the lovely Donna Lewis. And she on her part told me to wait cause she would get another of the die hard Elvis followers. And so I also got to meet Shirley Connell! To top that afternoon off I also bumped into Sue McCasland (author of World's Best Kept Secret: Elvis live at Del Webb's Sahara Tahoe). It was a remarkable day meeting these fine ladies who met Elvis in person more than a few times!

Alex

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Lexie1973 wrote:When I was in Memphis january 2014 I came across Donna's books (the three volumes of her diary) at the gift shop in Marlowe's. I had been looking for these books but found the prices online kind of high. In that shop they were affordable. When I checked out the nice lady at the cash out desk told me that the lady that wrote the diaries was somewhere in the restaurant at that moment! She offered to get her over to sign the books. So I got to meet the lovely Donna Lewis. And she on her part told me to wait cause she would get another of the die hard Elvis followers. And so I also got to meet Shirley Connell! To top that afternoon off I also bumped into Sue McCasland (author of World's Best Kept Secret: Elvis live at Del Webb's Sahara Tahoe). It was a remarkable day meeting these fine ladies who met Elvis in person more than a few times!
Wonderful experience! Thanks for sharing. And do you like the diaries?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Lexie1973

Post by Lexie1973 »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Lexie1973 wrote:When I was in Memphis january 2014 I came across Donna's books (the three volumes of her diary) at the gift shop in Marlowe's. I had been looking for these books but found the prices online kind of high. In that shop they were affordable. When I checked out the nice lady at the cash out desk told me that the lady that wrote the diaries was somewhere in the restaurant at that moment! She offered to get her over to sign the books. So I got to meet the lovely Donna Lewis. And she on her part told me to wait cause she would get another of the die hard Elvis followers. And so I also got to meet Shirley Connell! To top that afternoon off I also bumped into Sue McCasland (author of World's Best Kept Secret: Elvis live at Del Webb's Sahara Tahoe). It was a remarkable day meeting these fine ladies who met Elvis in person more than a few times!
I'm a bit afraid the Doc is going to want to shoot me for this, but at times I find the diaries a bit monotonous. At some point I started to wonder how many movies Elvis must have seen in his lifetime because sometimes the whole gang would go to the cinema every single night for days and days. So Donna writes that in her diary. A lot of times she writes basically the same: going to The Memphian, what Elvis is wearing, which movies were played, how Elvis behaved and how they would chase Elvis' car going back home.

Off course it is a very rare and unique look into Elvis' private life, as the Doc already stated. He was very very kind and patient with his fans no matter what, that is something that can be read in these books also. What I also find fascinating is how Elvis determined these movie nights. If he didn't like the film, he would say: put another one on. It didn't seem to bother him that anyone else might actually like it. So all these people that were with him there were actually there for him! They didn't mind seeing bits and pieces of movies, just to be around him was enough.

What also struck me as strange was that Donna and her family would go to those movie nights when often it became very very late (or rather early in the moring) and these people had to go to work and all! How did they keep that up??

All in all I found these books fascinating at times because of the look in Elvis' private life although one must keep in mind that it actually is a diary written by a teenage girl at the time.

Alex

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Lexie1973 wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:
I'm a bit afraid the Doc is going to want to shoot me for this, but at times I find the diaries a bit monotonous. At some point I started to wonder how many movies Elvis must have seen in his lifetime because sometimes the whole gang would go to the cinema every single night for days and days. So Donna writes that in her diary. A lot of times she writes basically the same: going to The Memphian, what Elvis is wearing, which movies were played, how Elvis behaved and how they would chase Elvis' car going back home.

Off course it is a very rare and unique look into Elvis' private life, as the Doc already stated. He was very very kind and patient with his fans no matter what, that is something that can be read in these books also. What I also find fascinating is how Elvis determined these movie nights. If he didn't like the film, he would say: put another one on. It didn't seem to bother him that anyone else might actually like it. So all these people that were with him there were actually there for him! They didn't mind seeing bits and pieces of movies, just to be around him was enough.

What also struck me as strange was that Donna and her family would go to those movie nights when often it became very very late (or rather early in the moring) and these people had to go to work and all! How did they keep that up??

All in all I found these books fascinating at times because of the look in Elvis' private life although one must keep in mind that it actually is a diary written by a teenage girl at the time.

Thank you, Lexie1973! Sounds indeed a bit boring. Must have been because he couldn't go out like normal people could, I guess. Or he thought he couldn't... And all those yes-sayers around him: terrible...

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

Lexie1973 wrote:I'm a bit afraid the Doc is going to want to shoot me for this, but at times I find the diaries a bit monotonous. At some point I started to wonder how many movies Elvis must have seen in his lifetime because sometimes the whole gang would go to the cinema every single night for days and days. So Donna writes that in her diary. A lot of times she writes basically the same: going to The Memphian, what Elvis is wearing, which movies were played, how Elvis behaved and how they would chase Elvis' car going back home.

All of this is true, no violence is necessary. What is important about Donna's three-volume diary collection is they clearly document dates and events, many of which are not noted anywhere else. You need to read through them with a fine-toothed comb to find those moments which add another piece to the puzzle. It's interesting to learn when D.J. Fontana stopped by Graceland in the 1960s and 1970s. Or when Elvis was back from California. At certain points in time he was hardly in town at all.

Learning which films and actors really moved him during those movie nights is an insight into his Hollywood years, on many levels. Seeing his interaction with family and associates is fascinating ("Burnt."). Davis also documents how much things changed after his divorce, and how Presley gradually drew back from the kind of life he led in the 1960s and into the 1970s while at home in Memphis. Finally, it is very clear she is an extremely nice person who loved her family and adored Elvis, and still basically maintained a normal lifestyle when not being involved in Elvis-related activities. A girl's diary is a very private matter, and we should be grateful she chose to publish them for all the fans. Elvis' first deeply serious girlfriend, Dixie Locke, kept one throughout their relationship in 1954-1955, a crucial and somewhat mysterious period, but never plans to publish them because they are just too personal. To her credit she did provide Ernst Jørgensen with some specific dates and places when he was researching A Boy From Tupelo, which allowed him to note exactly when they attended shows in Memphis, and specific nights when Elvis was at Sun Studios, or doing concerts.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jon_burrows
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by jon_burrows »

Donna used to work as a Tour Guide at Graceland. The first time I visited I had a nice, short talk with her in which she relayed some lovely memories about Elvis.
She seemed to be a really lovely, softly spoken woman.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

Volume 3 is available at Marlowe's?

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Lexie1973

Post by Lexie1973 »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Thank you, Lexie1973! Sounds indeed a bit boring. Must have been because he couldn't go out like normal people could, I guess. Or he thought he couldn't... And all those yes-sayers around him: terrible...
I wouldn't say boring! I carefully chose monotonous as a word to describe the book :D But I did enjoy reading it!

Alex

Lexie1973

Post by Lexie1973 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lexie1973 wrote:I'm a bit afraid the Doc is going to want to shoot me for this, but at times I find the diaries a bit monotonous. At some point I started to wonder how many movies Elvis must have seen in his lifetime because sometimes the whole gang would go to the cinema every single night for days and days. So Donna writes that in her diary. A lot of times she writes basically the same: going to The Memphian, what Elvis is wearing, which movies were played, how Elvis behaved and how they would chase Elvis' car going back home.

All of this is true, no violence is necessary. What is important about Donna's three-volume diary collection is they clearly document dates and events, many of which are not noted anywhere else. You need to read through them with a fine-toothed comb to find those moments which add another piece to the puzzle. It's interesting to learn when D.J. Fontana stopped by Graceland in the 1960s and 1970s. Or when Elvis was back from California. At certain points in time he was hardly in town at all.

Learning which films and actors really moved him during those movie nights is an insight into his Hollywood years, on many levels. Seeing his interaction with family and associates is fascinating ("Burnt."). Davis also documents how much things changed after his divorce, and how Presley gradually drew back from the kind of life he led in the 1960s and into the 1970s while at home in Memphis. Finally, it is very clear she is an extremely nice person who loved her family and adored Elvis, and still basically maintained a normal lifestyle when not being involved in Elvis-related activities. A girl's diary is a very private matter, and we should be grateful she chose to publish them for all the fans. Elvis' first deeply serious girlfriend, Dixie Locke, kept one throughout their relationship in 1954-1955, a crucial and somewhat mysterious period, but never plans to publish them because they are just too personal. To her credit she did provide Ernst Jørgensen with some specific dates and places when he was researching A Boy From Tupelo, which allowed him to note exactly when they attended shows in Memphis, and specific nights when Elvis was at Sun Studios, or doing concerts.
Exactly Doc!

Alex

Lexie1973

Post by Lexie1973 »

elvisjock wrote:
Volume 3 is available at Marlowe's?
At that time all 3 volumes were available. Don't know if that had anything to do with the Elvis related auction that was held there that particular day, but all the times I have visited that little shop I always found that they sold some unique items not to be found at the other Elvis souvenir shops.

Alex

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

I managed to get volume 2 "Hurry home Elvis" but the other volumes have eluded me. Indeed I didn't even know about them until a few years back. So I'm still hunting for the other 2 volumes.... One thing that was disappointing in the book I do have, is the lack of pictures. There's a couple of photo sections but only a couple of pics actually have Elvis in them!!!

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by MaryAnn »

I had the great pleasure of meeting Donna and spending about a half hour alone with her (and my Aussie friend, Susanne) at Vernon Presley's house on Dolan at EW a few years ago. She is as lovely and genuine as everyone here says.

The monotony Lexie1973 mentioned has to be factored into the equation. Imagine how it was for Elvis.

Yet, he was still a small town kid taking all of his pals to the movies: Donna Lewis and her family, Gary Pepper and his family... well, you get the idea. He was something.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

Incredible story that was a pleasure to read thanks Lexie1973.