Why Do People Rave About Elvis? Non-Elvis fans responses

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Why Do People Rave About Elvis? Non-Elvis fans responses

Post by MikeFromHolland »

By accident I came across a forum with an interesting thread about why people 'rave' about Elvis. It's a thread from 2004 and written by non-elvis fans. The original poster came up with a question:

"why do people rate Elvis? I've never been able to understand it. To me he was the first manufactured pop-act - he didn't write his own songs, he was carefully marketed to appeal to the as-yet untapped teen audience and was a triumph of image over substance. I've been told it's one of those 'you have to have been there' things, but I was born seven years after the Beatles split up and I still rate them. Same goes with a variety of 50s and 60's artists - the Stones, the Who, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry. To me Elvis doesn't bear comparison with any of these! (..) Can anyone enlighten me?"

He received a lot of responses. Some of them (shortened here and there):

"What puzzles me is that almost every time you get a clip about Elvis, it's the later Elvis, pudgy and parodying himself in that absurd white suit he wore on stage. I suppose there is more film of late Ekvis, and it's in colour too.
But he doesn't compare with what he was like in his pre-army days. Or rather he does compare, and very badly undeed."

"The later Elvis became a parody of the earlier one, I think."

"I have hated "Elvis" and all his posturing and the aura around him for ....well, forever...then a few months ago, I saw a documentary about one of his tours, and I finally saw why some folks like him. I still do NOT like the music and style, but I saw how he worked and connected with the audience when he was doing a live concert. I have to admit, he had a way about him when he was 'on'. Too bad things went like they did."

"Well, he always had a kick ass band too, in addition to the great songs he covered, now that I think about it."

"when i was younger i thought elvis was a joke. it took years for me to appreciate his music, and to realise as well how bloody gorgeous he was."

"People don't much like to see their idols grow older and show their mortality, do they? If he'd done a James Dean, he'd have been a god."

Etc.

For the full thread, see: http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=75705#1333457

You can also do a topic search here (in the right top corner), type in "Elvis" and you'll have a fine reading for the rest of the evening :D
Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

skatterbrane

Re: Why Do People Rave About Elvis? Non-Elvis fans responses

Post by skatterbrane »

I do not understand the common opinion that he was a manufactured pop star. Yes, many of the rock bands since the 60s wrote their own songs, but prior to the 60s, it was uncommon for a singer to write. Yes, promotion is needed for a talent to become famous, but Elvis is anything but "manufactured". Now Fabian was a manufacture pop star, certainly not Elvis.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

skatterbrane wrote:I do not understand the common opinion that he was a manufactured pop star. Yes, many of the rock bands since the 60s wrote their own songs, but prior to the 60s, it was uncommon for a singer to write. Yes, promotion is needed for a talent to become famous, but Elvis is anything but "manufactured". Now Fabian was a manufacture pop star, certainly not Elvis.
It's all about perception, I guess...

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

I'm sorry for people that cannot hear the magic that is Elvis' work from 1954 through 1962 and then, with less consistency, up to the end of his life. How can that charisma not be recognized by so many. Pity.

JamieAKelley
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by JamieAKelley »

Actually, there's a good reason that this opinion exists - and sad to say, many of us aren't helping.

Elvis' raw talent isn't easy to quantify - you have to feel it. And that's what many fans go with, especially since that's how Elvis described himself during his lifetime. But his genius with interpretation, the way he was very particular in what he wanted out of many songs (even when he wasn't at 100%). His interpretive talent, even in his lesser songs, is very evident.

But until more fans (not to mention many of those whose job it is to promote him and his legacy) get a grasp of this and start "promoting" him not just as a talented white boy who got lucky, but as a great intuitive artist who felt music from across race and cultures, who knew what he wanted out of a song and strove for it (and are adamant about that) - and who influenced whole generations of artists from all cultures all over the world.. defending Elvis' legacy will always be like "bringing a knife to a gun fight." As in, not impossible, but hit and miss. The proof is that there are way too many "truths" about Elvis that are even accepted by fans that do not help at all.

This answer is likely to not be all that popular, but after seeing years and years of the patterns for it.. it's very hard not to come to that realization.

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

I think it's just because people are dumb.

Whether you like Elvis Presley or not people should realize that he wasn't a manufactured singer.

Manufactured singers are people like Fabian and Milli Vanilli who couldn't sing but were sought out by record producers because they felt they could sell records with the right marketing.

Elvis sought a singing career on his own, had a very unique sound for the 1950s and could really sing.

That's not what a manufactured singer is it's just the words of Elvis haters that don't know what the hell they are talking about.

As for people not getting Elvis' appeal in general you can't please everyone and obviously not everyone is going to be a fan.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Theres only one REAL QUICK way to explain Elvis' artistry. Go to and learn from the people who know...

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley#Quotes_about_Presley

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Jaime1234 wrote:Theres only one REAL QUICK way to explain Elvis' artistry. Go to and learn from the people who know...

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley#Quotes_about_Presley
Wow! Never saw such a long list with quotes about Elvis. Should be put on non-elvis fan threads when the subject comes up.

::rocks

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Liverbobs »

Some absolutely fantastic quotes there, we need to publish them on here for the doubters!

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Yes, great idea!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Liverbobs wrote:Some absolutely fantastic quotes there, we need to publish them on here for the doubters!
And one should write a book for kids and teens: "Why people rave about Elvis. - from Britney to Miley, from One Direction to Justin, all popular artists seem to rave about Elvis. Wonder why? Read this quick reference guide on Elvis. Download the app now."

:D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

If non Elvis fans come across the majority of Elvis sixties films and/or promotional photographs for them I reckon they are probably within their rights to consider him 'manufactured', but as we all know, they are only looking at half the picture...
1955.jpg
1965.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

brian wrote:I think it's just because people are dumb.

Whether you like Elvis Presley or not people should realize that he wasn't a manufactured singer.

Manufactured singers are people like Fabian and Milli Vanilli who couldn't sing but were sought out by record producers because they felt they could sell records with the right marketing.

Elvis sought a singing career on his own, had a very unique sound for the 1950s and could really sing.

That's not what a manufactured singer is it's just the words of Elvis haters that don't know what the hell they are talking about.

As for people not getting Elvis' appeal in general you can't please everyone and obviously not everyone is going to be a fan.
Like everything, it's not as clear-cut as you make it. For the entirety of the 1960s, Elvis pretty much did what he was told and churned out a production line of movies and soundtracks - "production line" and "manufactured" are closely related terms. That doesn't work for his regular output, of course, but even so he rarely took control of his own career and simply did what he was told to do. That's not quite the same as putting a group together in a so-called artificial way through advertisements etc, but I'm not sure why that's looked down upon either - sometimes it works (The Monkees, One Direction and Take That did pretty well out of it), and sometimes it doesn't (the endless stream of imitation boybands that don't catch on).

But I'm not sure that any of it matters. Not everyone is going to like or appreciate the worth of the same kind of music as everyone else - so what?

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by EPA4368 »

When In Rome wrote:If non Elvis fans come across the majority of Elvis sixties films and/or promotional photographs for them I reckon they are probably within their rights to consider him 'manufactured', but as we all know, they are only looking at half the picture...
1955.jpg
1965.jpg

By the mid-60's this was it and fans calling into radios stations saying how much they loved Elvis's latest movie didn't help. Clambake was a good example, when trying to get DJ's to play Big Boss Man and/or Guitar Man, the movie and songs from the movie would take over the discussion.

brian

Post by brian »

poormadpeter wrote:

Like everything, it's not as clear-cut as you make it. For the entirety of the 1960s, Elvis pretty much did what he was told and churned out a production line of movies and soundtracks - "production line" and "manufactured" are closely related terms. That doesn't work for his regular output, of course, but even so he rarely took control of his own career and simply did what he was told to do. That's not quite the same as putting a group together in a so-called artificial way through advertisements etc, but I'm not sure why that's looked down upon either - sometimes it works (The Monkees, One Direction and Take That did pretty well out of it), and sometimes it doesn't (the endless stream of imitation boybands that don't catch on).
Not standing up for yourself is not the same thing as being manufactured.

As you have noted for one thing Elvis Presley had already made it as a big star for a few years before he started churning out dumb movies.

Being called manufactured is a put down because it means that you are a talent less person who got to where you are simply by your managers, and marketing etc.

Fabian
Milli Vanilla
New Kids on the block
Justin Beiber

People who say that about Elvis should realize that he wasn't based on common sense and knowledge of what a manufactured star is.

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by charro1971 »

For me Elvis was at his very best from 1968-February 1970. Unfortunately we only have the 68 Special footage from this era. The fact that there is no professional footage from the July/August 1969 and January/February 1970 is very sad. These were high-energy performances and easily demonstrate his extraordinary talent whereas the Aloha concert is not quite as special although it is still good.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Well....

Even in Russia they 'slender his image all over the place' in Russian Idols:

Not good, not good at all :shock:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

As you have noted for one thing Elvis Presley had already made it as a big star for a few years before he started churning out dumb movies.

Being called manufactured is a put down because it means that you are a talent less person who got to where you are simply by your managers, and marketing etc.

Fabian
Milli Vanilla
New Kids on the block
Justin Beiber

People who say that about Elvis should realize that he wasn't based on common sense and knowledge of what a manufactured star is.
But it's only your opinion that those people are talentless. With the exception of Milli Vanilli, all the people on your list are actually remarkably good at what they do/did - it might be not to your or my taste, but I wouldn't deny their talent.

To write off someone like Beiber as talentless is no different to fifty year olds doing the same with Elvis in 1956. Whether Beiber has staying power is debatable - especially given his recent behaviour - but his talent? That's less debatable. Even if people don't like his singing (and, let's be honest, his music isn't aimed at us anyway, so who are we to judge?), there are ample examples of his abilities on a number of different instruments at a very early age kicking around on internet videos. Had those videos not circulated, he wouldn't have got noticed in the first place. What did he get noticed for? His talent. I can't say I like the music or Bieber himself - in fact, his recent behaviour shows he either needs help or a good slap, but I'm not small-minded enough to hold my hands up and admit he's a good musician.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Fabian
Milli Vanilla
New Kids on the block
Justin Beiber

But it's only your opinion that those people are talentless. With the exception of Milli Vanilli, all the people on your list are actually remarkably good at what they do/did - it might be not to your or my taste, but I wouldn't deny their talent.

To write off someone like Beiber as talentless is no different to fifty year olds doing the same with Elvis in 1956. Whether Beiber has staying power is debatable - especially given his recent behaviour - but his talent? That's less debatable. Even if people don't like his singing (and, let's be honest, his music isn't aimed at us anyway, so who are we to judge?), there are ample examples of his abilities on a number of different instruments at a very early age kicking around on internet videos. Had those videos not circulated, he wouldn't have got noticed in the first place. What did he get noticed for? His talent. I can't say I like the music or Bieber himself - in fact, his recent behaviour shows he either needs help or a good slap, but I'm not small-minded enough to hold my hands up and admit he's a good musician.
I agree. We could ask: "Why do those young people rave about Bieber?" (Etc...)

Here some older people who rave about Elvis (have a look, it's really fun to watch):

http://postgradproblems.com/old-people-watch-old-elvis-footage-and-promptly-turn-into-teenagers/

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Fabian
Milli Vanilla
New Kids on the block
Justin Beiber

To write off someone like Beiber as talentless is no different to fifty year olds doing the same with Elvis in 1956. Whether Beiber has staying power is debatable - especially given his recent behaviour - but his talent? That's less debatable. Even if people don't like his singing (and, let's be honest, his music isn't aimed at us anyway, so who are we to judge?), there are ample examples of his abilities on a number of different instruments at a very early age kicking around on internet videos. Had those videos not circulated, he wouldn't have got noticed in the first place. What did he get noticed for? His talent. I can't say I like the music or Bieber himself - in fact, his recent behaviour shows he either needs help or a good slap, but I'm not small-minded enough to refuse to hold my hands up and admit he's a good musician.
I agree. We could ask: "Why do those young people rave about Bieber?" (Etc...)

Here some older people who rave about Elvis (have a look, it's really fun to watch):

http://postgradproblems.com/old-people-watch-old-elvis-footage-and-promptly-turn-into-teenagers/

brian

Post by brian »

poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Fabian
Milli Vanilla
New Kids on the block
Justin Beiber

I listed those people as examples because they are usually singled out as being manufactured singing stars.

I wasn't giving my opinion of their talent.

I think Fabian was a manufactured talent he was discovered because of his good lucks and he couldn't sing real well.

Because of his good looks his manager and record label thought he could be a teen heartthrob while Elvis was in the army.

I will say that Beiber gives off the vibe of a manufactured talent whether he is or not.

Perhaps it's because he lip syncs and that gives the impression that he can't sing.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
brian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Fabian
Milli Vanilla
New Kids on the block
Justin Beiber

I listed those people as examples because they are usually singled out as being manufactured singing stars.

I wasn't giving my opinion of their talent.

I think Fabian was a manufactured talent he was discovered because of his good lucks and he couldn't sing real well.

Because of his good looks his manager and record label thought he could be a teen heartthrob while Elvis was in the army.

I will say that Beiber gives off the vibe of a manufactured talent whether he is or not.

Perhaps it's because he lip syncs and that gives the impression that he can't sing.
Elvis lip-synched significant sections of the 68 special. Did that give the impression that HE couldn't sing?

brian

Post by brian »

poormadpeter wrote:
Elvis lip-synched significant sections of the 68 special. Did that give the impression that HE couldn't sing?
I don't recall that Elvis lip synched at the 68 special but anyway it's apples and oranges.

Beiber lip syncs at his concerts on a regular basis which gives people the impression that he can't sing because they've never seen him.

You should know that and you should know the difference between Elvis and Bieber when it comes to that.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The argument of the movie years really does not hold water. It may make sense to a non-fan who has no idea about Elvis' history. A "manufactured" pop star would have meant Elvis did not bring to the table his OWN musical knowledge and roots that ended up in his recording of "That's All Right". Someone didn't go searching for a pretty face and then train them how to sing. Elvis' was pretty much what he was even on most of the 50's TV appearances. It is not like the Colonel had to tell Elvis what to wear, or how to sing. He just put him out there.

Once he came out of the Army the Colonel did have an "image" in mind to ensure he was appealing to a wider and slightly older audience. His talent, charisma, and understanding, almost scholarly command of music was something that anyone hardly had to train him for.

The Beatles (who wrote most of their own material) also were groomed for a wider audience than what they were used to, the bars and pubs of Liverpool and Hamburg. By the time they made their first LP Please, Please Me, they were far more coached and polished than Elvis ever was prior to his return from the Army.

So, although I would never say the Beatles were "manufactured" pop stars, they came much closer to that definition by the time them make their first album than Elvis ever could be.