27 AL-archives photos of Elvis' 1956 Mississippi homecoming

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Celebrate Elvis' birthday with these rare photos of his 1956 Mississippi homecoming
By Haley Laurence | hlaurence@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on January 08, 2016 at 9:15 AM, updated January 11, 2016 at 12:57 PM

1956 was a big year for Elvis Presley.

The King released his self-titled debut early in February, and it shot up to the top of the Billboard Top Pop Charts (and decades later was listed on Rolling Stones' 500 greatest albums of all times list). He was in demand for TV and radio and performed on the Ed Sullivan Show.

But despite his busy schedule, he still found time to come back to his hometown of Tupelo, Miss., to perform at the Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show on Sept. 26 of that year.

In celebration of Elvis' birthday (he would have turned 81 if he were alive today), we pulled some rare photos from the Tupelo performance from our archives. (Some of the pictures have never been published.) It was a big-time day: There was a huge parade downtown in his honor, and he received a guitar-shaped key to the city. Also notable: A young Tammy Wynette made it to the show, and about 100 National Guardsmen guarded the stage.

Scenes from Elvis Presley returning home to Tupelo, Miss., to perform at the Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show on Sept. 29, 1956. (The Birmingham News Alabama Media Group/AL.com):

Source: http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/01/happy_birthday_elvis_look_thro.html

About the photos

Found: 21 4x5" black-and-white photo negatives
Subject: "Elvis Presley Tupelo"
Source: The Birmingham News
Photos by: Unknown
Year: 1956

Re: 27 AL-archives photos of Elvis' 1956 Mississippi homecom

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:58 pm

This is fantastic! Many thanks!

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:19 pm

These are really cool, but because you are hot-linking to the photos on the site, eventually they will all go away. If you upload them to FECC, your posts won't turn into empty shells like those once-wonderful topics posted by davide.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:These are really cool, but because you are hot-linking to the photos on the site, eventually they will all go away. If you upload them to FECC, your posts won't turn into empty shells like those once-wonderful topics posted by davide.

Yes, I know. MisterMoon has warned me for that as well in an earlier stage. I saw some empty shells with my own topics as well. Downloading, than uploading is an alternative that takes a while....

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:57 pm

Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!!? ::rocks

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:24 pm

sheila wrote:Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!!? ::rocks

You're welcome :D

Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:59 am

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:These are really cool, but because you are hot-linking to the photos on the site, eventually they will all go away. If you upload them to FECC, your posts won't turn into empty shells like those once-wonderful topics posted by davide.

Yes, I know. MisterMoon has warned me for that as well in an earlier stage. I saw some empty shells with my own topics as well. Downloading, than uploading is an alternative that takes a while....

I can relate to that. ;-)

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:57 pm

[b]Ty Mike for sharing these with me and all
Its Awesome my friend _What a piece of history
Many thanks pal ::rocks
[/b] :smt006

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:19 pm

Just found these fantastic photos. What I would give to have been there. I was too little at that time.

Elvisly,

Linda

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:49 pm

lovin' EP wrote:Just found these fantastic photos. What I would give to have been there. I was too little at that time.

Elvisly,

Linda

I wasn't even born yet :(

::rocks

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:08 am

Love it. These photos are cool. Thanks for the share.