1981 Otis Blackwell interview

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:07 am

I´m Happy As Hell That The Man Took My Songs
by Val Wilmer
Time Out (UK), March 1981

It was not a very good year for Elvis, 1981, and the writer is not very kind to Elvis. But here it is, for those who are interested in these articles...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 1981 Otis Blackwell interview

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:14 am

Thanks, The fool.

I opened this topic with very good expectations, but I'm sorry to say that it's a very disappointing article in all respects.

Just when I was forgetting about Will Friedwald, here comes Val Wilmer, another jazz / blues writer with a patronizing attitude towards rock and roll.

Too bad she chose to perpetuate those false racist lines in the opening paragraphs of her article. Classless in extreme.

She also showed musical ignorance in some spots : Little Willie John was not copied by Elvis, nor by Peggy Lee. The original version of "Fever", as anybody who has listened to it can attest, is vastly different from Lee's and Presley's versions, from arrangement and vocal performance to lyrics (rewritten by Lee herself, not by Blackwell).

Oh well... Let's move on. :)

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:13 am

Disgusting. Who would print a "quotation" with no citation, and then moan that it was "conspicuously absent"?!!!!?!!!!!

And then! And then she tells yet another lie! Elvis did not "support" Wallace. That is false, malicious, and just said to bolster her first lie to declare Elvis a racist.

This is not journalism; it's just lying with malice.

I'm very sorry, The Fool, but I cannot bring myself to thank you for this one.

I do really appreciate all your work in bringing us all these rare articles; please understand.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:58 pm

It's horrible what happened to Elvis a few years after his death. It was like everybody just piled on!

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:39 pm

1981 was also the year of the Goldman's book. Tragic, Elvis in that year was so unfairly criticized.