"I´ll Never Do It Again" (1956 article)

Wed May 28, 2014 9:54 pm

"I´ll Never Do It Again"
by Westley Ryder
TV Star Parade, October 1956
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "I´ll Never Do It Again" (1956 article)

Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 pm

And the last two pages...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Very interesting article with a lot of shots new for my eyes :smt007
Thanks for sharing The fool

Wed May 28, 2014 11:14 pm

javierTCB wrote:Very interesting article with a lot of shots new for my eyes :smt007
Thanks for sharing The fool

You´re welcome, javierTCB. I have noticed you are always thanking me for the articles I post, and I really do appreciate that very much. Thanks!

Wed May 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks a lot, The fool, for this interesting article.

And the photos are fantastic.

Great to have this stuff.

Thu May 29, 2014 12:15 am

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks a lot, The fool, for this interesting article.

And the photos are fantastic.

Great to have this stuff.

Thank you, Mister Moon. You never fail to thank me either. I appreciate this so very much. Thank you!

Thu May 29, 2014 2:38 am

Another great share, thank you.

Many of the photos are new to my eyes. Is there any photographer credit? Sometimes the table of contents lists the names.

And journalist Westley Ryder crafts a very good profile, after hanging around with the singer for all of one day. The direct quotes are obviously real, and this segment is especially enlightening:

561000_TV Star Parade_p28.JPG

It's the first time I can recall reading Presley citing the Statesmen Quartet by name as a key influence in his performing style. And, of course, these kind of public statements never made it into such "academic" work as Albert Goldman's Elvis. The deceased biographer made a different conclusion, one of countless flawed assertions in his tawdry, discredited work.

With the Statesmen Quartet: Denver Crumpler, Les Roberson, Hovie Lister, Doy Ott and Jim Wetherington
Photo backstage at Ellis Auditorium, Memphis - December 1956

It is also notable Elvis has not one good thing to say about Steve Allen, other than an inference he will never allow himself to be manipulated like that again.

Fri May 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks The Fool. Most of those images are new to my eyes.

Fri May 30, 2014 10:13 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Thanks The Fool. Most of those images are new to my eyes.

You´re welcome.

Fri May 30, 2014 10:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Another great share, thank you.

Many of the photos are new to my eyes. Is there any photographer credit? Sometimes the table of contents lists the names

You´re welcome. And thanks for the photo of Elvis with The Statesmen Quartet. I can´t remember seeing that before.

Unfortunately, there are no photo credits in this magazine.

Fri May 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Also from this magazine, your September TV highlights.

Fri May 30, 2014 10:33 pm

Ray Bolger !

He was introduced by Elvis during his final May 1956 Vegas show.

Let's start the Ray Bolger Appreciation Society !

Bolger Wizard.jpg

Sat May 31, 2014 12:01 am

These original (i have some myself) 50's mags are really awesome for the simple fact that some of them contain photos that have never been seen elsewhere since their publication.

Sat May 31, 2014 12:07 am

Mister Moon wrote:Ray Bolger !

Bolger Wizard.jpg

Is this the same guy we see in that amazing footage of Elvis with two clowns on stage in Vegas 56 or is it 57?

Sat May 31, 2014 1:13 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Is this the same guy we see in that amazing footage of Elvis with two clowns on stage in Vegas 56 or is it 57?

No, you are thinking of Elvis' meeting with Marge and Gower Champion, at the Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas on 10-22-1957.

571022_w Marge and Gower Champion.JPG

Sat May 31, 2014 1:14 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:

Bolger Wizard.jpg

Is this the same guy we see in that amazing footage of Elvis with two clowns on stage in Vegas 56 or is it 57?

I don't recall seeing this footage, mysterytrainrideson.

I know the silent footage from 1956 where he's on stage with his band, and also the film showing him with Liberace and his brother in a dressing room.

Is there a YouTube link with more stuff from this engagement ?

Edit : Yes, Doc, now I remember this photo with the clowns. There's also one with Louis Prima and Keely Smith from, I think, the same day.

Thanks.

Sat May 31, 2014 1:34 am

Mister Moon wrote:

Bolger Wizard.jpg

I don't recall seeing this footage, mysterytrainrideson.

I know the silent footage from 1956 where he's on stage with his band, and also the film showing him with Liberace and his brother in a dressing room.

Is there a YouTube link with more stuff from this engagement ?

Edit : Yes, Doc, now I remember this photo with the clowns. There's also one with Louis Prima and Keely Smith from, I think, the same day.

Thanks.

Mr Moon, sorry i can't help you out on the youtube link because i'm on mobile phone style and it only allows you to do so much and video clips is one of the things i can't post. Sorry mate.

Perhaps the Doc can supply the link..

Sat May 31, 2014 3:28 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Mr Moon, sorry i can't help you out on the youtube link because i'm on mobile phone style and it only allows you to do so much and video clips is one of the things i can't post. Sorry mate.

You can see the 10-22-1957 footage in these videos. The second one has more of Elvis, but also contains a watermark.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Sat May 31, 2014 9:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Mr Moon, sorry i can't help you out on the youtube link because i'm on mobile phone style and it only allows you to do so much and video clips is one of the things i can't post. Sorry mate.

You can see the 10-22-1957 footage in these videos. The second one has more of Elvis, but also contains a watermark.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Thanks Doc, appreciated. I'm sure Mister Moon will love it.

The Beatles footage i had seen before but didn't realise it was at the Sahara Hotel, thanks again.

Sat May 31, 2014 1:04 pm

Many thanks for the YouTube links, Doc. This footage is completely new to me. I don't know how did I miss it.

Elvis looks great in those clips, and he's wearing the best haircut in the history of the whole universe.

I think George Klein can also be seen in front of him while he's signing autographs.

As for the rest of the footage, it's neat to see Cab Calloway, Louis Prima (and their respective bands), Clint Eastwood, The Beatles, and the girls at the swimsuit contest.

Thanks again.

Sat May 31, 2014 1:27 pm

I love this place.

Thanks for yet another superb post, the fool.

Sat May 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Thanks, The fool and Doc for these magnificent clips and images. Pure dynamite,

Sat May 31, 2014 3:53 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Many thanks for the YouTube links, Doc. This footage is completely new to me. I don't know how did I miss it.

Elvis looks great in those clips, and he's wearing the best haircut in the history of the whole universe.

I think George Klein can also be seen in front of him while he's signing autographs.

As for the rest of the footage, it's neat to see Cab Calloway, Louis Prima (and their respective bands), Clint Eastwood, The Beatles, and the girls at the swimsuit contest.

Thanks again.

Knew you would like it.

Sat May 31, 2014 3:58 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Many thanks for the YouTube links, Doc. This footage is completely new to me. I don't know how did I miss it.

Thanks again.

Knew you would like it.

Thanks for mentioning this. Great stuff.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:47 pm

George Smith wrote:I love this place.

Thanks for yet another superb post, the fool.

EXCELLENT articles as always.
thanks for your great work
Cheers, Piers