The Man in the Blue Suede Shoes (1958 article)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:30 am

Excellent article...

The Man in the Blue Suede Shoes
by James and Annette Baxter
Harper´s magazine, January 1958
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Man in the Blue Suede Shoes (1958 article)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:57 am

The fool wrote:Excellent article...

The Man in the Blue Suede Shoes
by James and Annette Baxter
Harper´s magazine, January 1958

Wow, that is a fascinating and engrossing upload. Even the cover art is compelling!

James and Annette Baxter regard Elvis with intelligence, and without condescension, a rarity in this era. Among many interesting observations, they recall Elvis' wry "point to the balcony" just before he performs "Hound Dog" on his October 28, 1956 appearance on the "Ed Sullivan Show," one of the moments I love best from that wonderful Sunday night so long ago. His gesture, and the fan response, speaks volumes.

And they touch on something few would notice until years later, Elvis' sardonic nature: "... he has managed, in a whole series of songs, to call forth irony. Elvis is laughing at us, and at himself without knowing it, and while remaining altogether serious."

Annette Baxter was a ground-breaker in the field of women's studies, and one may see more here:

Annette Kar Baxter Papers, 1905-1984
http://asteria.fivecolleges.edu/findaids/sophiasmith/mnsss184.html

I see if I can find more on her husband as well. Thanks again.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:20 pm

One of the best pieces ever written about him. I photocopied it in college.

Certainly the best early writing.

Thanks for the wonderful scan!

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:02 pm

This is a remarkable find.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:34 am

You are welcome, drjohncarpenter, rjm and poormadpeter. (And Bob-Holland, hilton22000, and jurasic1968 , too.) I´m glad you all liked this as much as I did.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:55 am

Stunning writing, great insight. Thank you for posting.

I would be interested to know if the Nixon article carries the same level of intelligence and prescience.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:41 am

George Smith wrote:Stunning writing, great insight. Thank you for posting.

I would be interested to know if the Nixon article carries the same level of intelligence and prescience.

In my view the answer is no. It's more of an erudite "puff-piece" which attempts, over six very fanciful pages, to explain the enigma of Nixon and his political career to date, and whether he'd make a capable president. The writer does note Nixon's humourless, solitary nature, and the almost unknown manner in how he operates politically. The article is below, share your thoughts.

580100_Harpers p25.JPG

580100_Harpers p26.JPG

580100_Harpers p27.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:48 am

580100_Harpers p28.JPG

580100_Harpers p29.JPG

580100_Harpers p30.JPG

Nixon's the one!

In your heart, you know he's right.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 pm

One intriguing part of the piece involves civil rights, and the failed attempt at a bill in the 50s.

A "hard" bill, according to the author, would be "irrational" because it would cause a "national convulsion."

Well, even before Kennedy proposed a real, serious, "hard" bill in 1963, that "convulsion" was about to convulse. No matter how many "rational men" might try to put it off.

You can also see a changing Democratic party, which is interesting.

Thank you, Doc.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Thank you for the post, John, much appreciated.

I agree that the piece lacks some depth, but it does hit a few bulls-eyes -- the summing up of his character is, as you note, spot on and the nod towards foreign policy is of interest.

Perhaps I'm too romantic about politics (or about what politics could and should be) but I find the stated intention to distance the kind of man Nixon is from the kind of President he might be (page one) to be pointless. The presidency often reveals the nature of the man.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 am

George Smith wrote:Thank you for the post, John, much appreciated.

I agree that the piece lacks some depth, but it does hit a few bulls-eyes -- the summing up of his character is, as you note, spot on and the nod towards foreign policy is of interest.

Perhaps I'm too romantic about politics (or about what politics could and should be) but I find the stated intention to distance the kind of man Nixon is from the kind of President he might be (page one) to be pointless. The presidency often reveals the nature of the man.

It most certainly did in Nixon's case!