Who´s Gonna Get Elvis... ? (1957 article)

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
The fool
Registered for: 21 years

Who´s Gonna Get Elvis... ? (1957 article)

Post by The fool »

Motion Picture, January 1957

I Want You ... I Need You ... I Love You!
by Peter Mason

Hands Off, He´s Mine!
by Susan Miller
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
The fool

Re: Who´s Gonna Get Elvis... ? (1957 article)

Post by The fool »

And the last two pages of the Barbara Hearn story...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
The fool

Post by The fool »

And the last two pages of the Natalie Wood story...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Thanks again for another GREAT upload.

Although mostly PR pieces, writers Peter Mason and Susan Miller did manage interviews with each subject. Note that huge color portrait of Elvis in downtown Memphis on the second page was made by Lloyd Shearer in late July 1956, on assignment for Parade magazine.

Barbara Hearn looks to have met with Miller at her Memphis home around November 1956, and a quiet portrait of the inevitable emerges. I also didn't know her parents had been divorced, or that she graduated from South Side High. Nice that Memphis disc jockey Dewey Phillips also merited an interview by Miller.

It would appear from Mason's article that his Hollywood chats took place in September 1956. Interesting actor Nick Adams claims he somehow managed to call and invite Elvis to a party at his house before they actually met at 20th Century Fox. The singer couldn't make it, but had Adams come over to the studio to have lunch. Shortly after that, actress Natalie Wood was invited by Nick, and the trio was complete!

Elvis said hello to actor Tony Perkins after they all saw a preview of "Friendly Persuasion." That was new information. Perkins portrayed Gary Cooper's son Joshua "Josh" Birdwell in the William Wyler film.

Mason's chat with Presley is saved for the very end. It happened when Presley was being photographed by the legendary Frank Powolny at 20th Century Fox's "picture gallery" in early September. It had to have been a brief visit, Elvis' quotes are few in number. The 21 year-old does "proudly" note that "Natalie gave me this" in regards to the "violent crimson velvet shirt" he has on.

560904_at 20th Century Fox_Frank Powolny.jpg

"Natalie gave me this. I got me one in blue, too."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!