Topic author
The fool
Registered for: 21 years

Telephone interview, January 1960

Post by The fool »

Elvis Telephones Us!
by Lee Silvian
Motion Picture, April 1960
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
The fool

Re: Telephone interview, January 1960

Post by The fool »

And the last two pages...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by hilton22000 »

Excelent interview. Thank you very much for another great magazine :smt006

yaso
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by yaso »

Great interview, Thanks a lot for posting

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Interesting article and thank you for posting.
It's interesting that as the interview goes on, Elvis seems to get pissed off a little at Lee. He is very careful about what he says and how he says it... and he's quite good at reading into her questions. I wouldn't say he steers the interview but he does well to keep her from veering away from her list of questions.
Man, he could have wrote a book on how to speak to the media. He was one of the best I've ever heard... and as got older became a true master. I absolutely love that TV Guide interview he gave in Florida in 1956.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Thanks for the share. Here we have another interview with Elvis that otherwise would be unknown to us.

It appears he placed a call to New York entertainment reporter and publicist Lee Silvian from his Bad Nauheim home in mid-January 1960, just before his final furlough to Paris.

The piece reads like almost a straight transcript of the call, which means she must have recorded it. Does the tape exist today? I doubt it.

It's true that some of the questions are almost meant to provoke a reaction, but Elvis sees them coming a mile away. He'd learned a lot since turning professional in July 1954.

Funny that when Elvis returned to the states in March, he touched down in New Jersey, at McGuire Air Force Base, a couple of hours south of Brooklyn. Did she make it there to see his return? We may never know.

Thanks again.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

elvis-fan wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:51 pm
Interesting article and thank you for posting.
It's interesting that as the interview goes on, Elvis seems to get pissed off a little at Lee. He is very careful about what he says and how he says it... and he's quite good at reading into her questions. I wouldn't say he steers the interview but he does well to keep her from veering away from her list of questions.
Man, he could have wrote a book on how to speak to the media. He was one of the best I've ever heard... and as got older became a true master. I absolutely love that TV Guide interview he gave in Florida in 1956.
Totally agree, what a great interview.
Would have been fascinating to get Elvis' genuine thoughts in those crucial 67/68 years just before he met Steve Binder and everything changed.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Piers