My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:52 am

An article written by ElvisĀ“ teacher at Humes High School. From the March 1957 issue of TV Radio Mirror magazine.

Memphis loves Presley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:02 am

cool, thanks

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:25 am

These are really worthwile, especially from intelligent Memphians like his high school teacher.

It's very interesting to learn Elvis "returned twice":

I know that success continues to mean something to Elvis, for he has returned twice to appear on the show as our guest star. The last time he brought his band with him.

An assumption is these appearances might date to early April 1955 and April 1956.

However, 1956 was pretty busy as far as April ... but why would Elvis be asked to appear in April 1954? He wasn't a star then. Perhaps the 1956 show was in March.

Is this documented anywhere else? If so, that's news to me.

Thanks, as always, The fool.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:59 am

JamesVRoy wrote:cool, thanks

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thanks, as always, The fool.

You are both welcome. As for me, I loved the story about the apple. It was just so... Elvis. It made me laugh.

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:09 am

The fool wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:cool, thanks

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thanks, as always, The fool.

You are both welcome. As for me, I loved the story about the apple. It was just so... Elvis. It made me laugh.

Any thoughts on the Humes performances?

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:17 am

Great posting, thank you.

A few observations:

a) I've read a few of the quotes before, maybe in Hopkins, so he may have used this as source.

b) Some lines from Elvis The Movie are pulled from this - "You were the most ... It's you, Elvis ..." - re-inforcing my belief that, whatever one may think of the overall movie, the screenplay is deeply steeped in Presley lore and legend.

c) Elvis Day By Day tells us that Elvis returend to Humes with Dixie on Friday 2 April 1954 for another talent show; maybe he was persuaded to get up and sing.

d) The same book lists no gigs for Elvis from Monday to Wednesday of the corresponding week in 1955 (4, 5, 6 April), I believe this may also have been Red West's graduation year so maybe Elvis retained connections with the school and he performed with his band.

Fantastic article!

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Wonderful observations, George.

Given how the previous two were scheduled, my guess for the three Humes High talent show dates:

4-09-1953 (Thu) - Elvis performs as a senior and wins the sole encore via audience applause
4-02-1954 (Fri) - Elvis returns with Dixie and Mrs. Scrivener asks him to sing
4-08-1955 (Fri) - Elvis returns with Scotty and Bill and performs, then drives up to Gobler, MO (~85 miles) for their show that night at the B&B Club

How does this sound?

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Wonderful observations, George.

Given how the previous two were scheduled, my guess for the three Humes High talent show dates:

4-09-1953 (Thu) - Elvis performs as a senior and wins the sole encore via audience applause
4-02-1954 (Fri) - Elvis returns with Dixie and Mrs. Scrivener asks him to sing
4-08-1955 (Fri) - Elvis returns with Scotty and Bill and performs, then drives up to Gobler, MO (~85 miles) for their show that night at the B&B Club

How does this sound?

Sounds very plausible to me indeed.

No photographs at all?

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:16 am

George Smith wrote:Sounds very plausible to me indeed.

No photographs at all?

Thanks!

My suspicion is someone must have taken photos at the school, either a yearbook staffer, or at least one of the kids in the student body. But I've yet to see one.

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:40 am

Wonderful article, thank you very much :smt006
I really like the photo from page 2, a tired but happy Elvis in his home town.

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:41 am

hilton22000 wrote:Wonderful article, thank you very much :smt006
I really like the photo from page 2, a tired but happy Elvis in his home town.

Have you seen any shots of Elvis, Scotty and Bill at Humes in 1955?

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks! :smt006

rjm
::rocks

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Fantastic discussion, guys, and a really cool read, The fool!

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
hilton22000 wrote:Wonderful article, thank you very much :smt006
I really like the photo from page 2, a tired but happy Elvis in his home town.

Have you seen any shots of Elvis, Scotty and Bill at Humes in 1955?

Still hoping for a reply...

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 pm

I don't know, Doc, i don't remember. But i really want to wait The Sun Book, i'm not sure about any of my 55 dates.

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 pm

hilton22000 wrote:I don't know, Doc, i don't remember. But i really want to wait The Sun Book, i'm not sure about any of my 55 dates.

I must say you and Brian are the top guys for these old photo's

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:21 pm

And thankyou fool for sharing these gems with us all ::rocks

Re: My Boy Elvis by Mildred Scrivener

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:04 am

rizzy56 wrote:
hilton22000 wrote:I don't know, Doc, i don't remember. But i really want to wait The Sun Book, i'm not sure about any of my 55 dates.

I must say you and Brian are the top guys for these old photo's

Well, i just try hard to keep up with our experts from here, that's all. I learn every day something new from here, and i think this is the joy and the beauty to be an Elvis fan - after all these years we still discover our man.