Memphis, July 27th 1975

Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:13 am

The story behind these photos

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/beige0775fans.html

from The Real Elvis magazine (1980).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:28 am

Fantastic!

Thank you so much, as always.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:41 am

Fantastic story... thank you for sharing that... it sounded like a once in a lifetime, unforgettable experience.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:58 am

All bundled up, in the middle of a sweltering Memphis summer. That boy could be awfully eccentric.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:57 am

Excellent - many thanks!~ :lol:

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:09 am

Great Fool, thanks for sharing.
What an experience!
It might have helped Elvis if he spent more time out in public.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:15 am

Thanks very much for posting this story. In many ways, this is why he was the King -- and why we still care.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:53 am

The fool wrote:The story behind these photos

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/beige0775fans.html

from The Real Elvis magazine (1980).


Cool - I'll add this to the page 8)

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:03 pm

What a thrill to have seen him in New York, witness that legendary performance of "You'll Never Walk Alone" then to actually meet and chat with Elvis a short time after, and tell him how much you loved the performance. I'm sure both of them will never forget that till the day they die.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:06 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:What a thrill to have seen him in New York, witness that legendary performance of "You'll Never Walk Alone" then to actually meet and chat with Elvis a short time after, and tell him how much you loved the performance. I'm sure both of them will never forget that till the day they die.

Why didn't the conversation inspire Elvis to do more spontaneous selections?

I guess we'll never know.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:What a thrill to have seen him in New York, witness that legendary performance of "You'll Never Walk Alone" then to actually meet and chat with Elvis a short time after, and tell him how much you loved the performance. I'm sure both of them will never forget that till the day they die.

Why didn't the conversation inspire Elvis to do more spontaneous selections?

I guess we'll never know.

Probably cause his next shows were the ill fated summer 75 in August, and I think we know how they turned out, and didn't he kinda do that with the request box shows? then it was like December 75 after that. to quote your hero BS, Elvis was on a 'Downbound Train'

SNG ::rocks

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:15 am

That was a damn good read. I thankyou for sharing it for all to read. Cheers!

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:30 pm

The fool, thank you very much for that beautiful article! Fantastic.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:What a thrill to have seen him in New York, witness that legendary performance of "You'll Never Walk Alone" then to actually meet and chat with Elvis a short time after, and tell him how much you loved the performance. I'm sure both of them will never forget that till the day they die.

Why didn't the conversation inspire Elvis to do more spontaneous selections?

I guess we'll never know.


I was thinking that myself. In a way he did, in that July tour he varied a lot from his traditional set-lists and performed lots of 'rare' numbers. Then when he next started performing, he held perhaps his most spontaneous shows of all, the Request Box shows. Unfortunately, they were short-lived due to the engagement having to be cancelled. Which was a shape because had Elvis been in as good spirits, vocals and health as he had been for the March '75 Vegas engagement, the Request Box shows, potentially lasting the whole 2 weeks, could have really been quite something.

The 1975 New Years show was pretty interesting aswell a far as his set-list went - He performed 10 of his Number 1's that night in some form or another (possibly the most he ever did in one show?), as well as performing some legendary 70s Elvis songs like "America the Beautiful", "Polk Salad Annie", "You Gave Me a Mountain", "My Way" and "How Great Thou Art". And of course, any show with a nice version of "Trying to Get to You" in it is a keeper for me. Elvis rarely performed a poor version of this classic.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:26 pm

could someone explain "Request Box Shows" to this ol' fatboy from Texas?

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:16 pm

artfromtex wrote:could someone explain "Request Box Shows" to this ol' fatboy from Texas?


Well, Tex, it's like this....

Elvis, suffering from terminal boredom, opened yet anther Las Vegas engagement in August, 1975. He'd completed several months of one-nighters across the United States, and was running on fumes.

He decided to take audience requests, and had a Hilton ice bucket passed around, to be used as a "request box."

After only five shows, the remainder of the engagement was canceled, and Elvis flew home to Memphis and a few weeks in bed at Baptist Hospital.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:37 am

Cool article, thanks for posting.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:52 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:I was thinking that myself. In a way he did, in that July tour ...

There's nothing on the entire, 21-show, July 1975 tour to compare with his stunning, off-the-cuff piano performance of "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:I was thinking that myself. In a way he did, in that July tour ...

There's nothing on the entire, 21-show, July 1975 tour to compare with his stunning, off-the-cuff piano performance of "You'll Never Walk Alone."


Just goes to show the power that man had. He could flip it on & off like a switch whenever he wanted.

About the other point you made about doing more spontaneous things, etc, I guess by this point he was in a really deep funk. I've battled depression for years & sometimes it gets so bad you are almost powerless to overcome it. That would explain the future unfolding of declining events.

Anyways, Incredible Post! Thanks The Fool

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 am

elvisjock wrote:
artfromtex wrote:could someone explain "Request Box Shows" to this ol' fatboy from Texas?


Well, Tex, it's like this....

Elvis, suffering from terminal boredom, opened yet anther Las Vegas engagement in August, 1975. He'd completed several months of one-nighters across the United States, and was running on fumes.

He decided to take audience requests, and had a Hilton ice bucket passed around, to be used as a "request box."

After only five shows, the remainder of the engagement was canceled, and Elvis flew home to Memphis and a few weeks in bed at Baptist Hospital.


thank you. i had never heard that before.

anybody know the complete bucket list? the rarities that were played? i went to elvisconcerts.com but could only find the set list for opening night.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:08 am

Off the top of my head, he did Crying In The Chapel and Young And Beautiful. Someone asked for If I Can Dream, but he didn't do it. As one might expect, some of the requests were for well known songs, like Blue Suede Shoes. Most of the people in the seats wanted to hear the hits. Folks like us were only scattered about.

Re: Memphis, July 27th 1975

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:32 am

wow. "Crying In The Chapel", "Young and Beautiful", and "You'll Never Walk Alone" w/Elvis on piano. damn!

thanks for sharing that info. much appreciated.

this next beer's for you!! cheers.
Image