TV and Radio Magazine, June 1956

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
The fool
Registered for: 21 years

TV and Radio Magazine, June 1956

Post by The fool »

Not in my collection, but currently listed on eBay. That wonderful cover photo was used that early, and one of the photos from this Hecht session was new to me.

New York Herald Tribune, TV and Radio Magazine, June 24, 1956 issue

This is the rare June 24, 1956 issue of "TV and Radio Magazine" with Elvis Presley on the cover. This is a regional TV Guide-type listing magazine that was only put out in the New York area, so it is a very tough one to find. It was put out by the New York Herald Tribune. One of the very first magazine covers that Elvis every appeared on. Inside is a long 4 page article with 5 pix of Elvis in the story. There's also a picture of Marilyn Monroe as well. As seen in the pictures provided, the issue is in good condition with some wear. The front cover has a crease on it and there are tiny tears as seen in the close up pix. There is no writing inside (no highlights or underlines in the tv listing section). Please see the many detailed pictures for visual inspection. This is a smaller (5" x 7 3/8") digest-sized magazine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: TV and Radio Magazine, June 1956

Post by drjohncarpenter »

This is another awesome find. Thank you!

Looks like it's from this eBay page:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Regional-June-1956-Elvis-Presley-TV-Radio-Magazine-NY-area-TV-Guide-sized-/112885943096

Only $35.00!

The New York Herald Tribune - TV and Radio Magazine article is clearly ghost-written, perhaps by someone from RCA like Anne Fulchino, who handled publicity. A lot is folklore, very little is the actual story to date. I am very strongly inclined to believe that local New York TV host Hy Gardner, who is credited as the Editor of the magazine, recycled the question about whether he "shot" his mom from the little Elvis essay, where it is mentioned. He asked the question during his live interview of Presley on 7-01-1956 (Sun).

Thanks again, and here's that shot you mentioned of Marilyn Monroe in the same issue. She was kind of pretty.

560624_NY Herald Tribune - TV and Radio Magazine_p08.JPG

The fool on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:07 pm wrote:Not in my collection, but currently listed on eBay. That wonderful cover photo was used that early, and one of the photos from this Hecht session was new to me.

New York Herald Tribune, TV and Radio Magazine, June 24, 1956 issue

This is the rare June 24, 1956 issue of "TV and Radio Magazine" with Elvis Presley on the cover. This is a regional TV Guide-type listing magazine that was only put out in the New York area, so it is a very tough one to find. It was put out by the New York Herald Tribune. One of the very first magazine covers that Elvis every appeared on. Inside is a long 4 page article with 5 pix of Elvis in the story. There's also a picture of Marilyn Monroe as well. As seen in the pictures provided, the issue is in good condition with some wear. The front cover has a crease on it and there are tiny tears as seen in the close up pix. There is no writing inside (no highlights or underlines in the tv listing section). Please see the many detailed pictures for visual inspection. This is a smaller (5" x 7 3/8") digest-sized magazine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Re: TV and Radio Magazine, June 1956

Post by elvisjock »

A portable television! Can you imagine? And, it gets all three channels when I move the antenna to just the right spot.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"