Davide

Elvis RCA Photo session August 1960

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:15 pm

Elvis was in Los Angeles for the production of the picture 'Flaming Star',and RCA (Colonel Parker) needed some new stills for covers of the next single and album release. One main feature of this session was that Elvis's hair was cut slightly long at the back, and the 'Flaming Star' publicity photographs have a different cut, therefore it's most likely that the movie shots were done elsewhere at the end of the production.I have found most of these images from this message board,so thank you, and hopefully there might be some additional/improved photo's from this session provided.

Beverley-Wilshire Hotel (pictured 1959),was the venue for Don Cravens to take some stills , on August 25th 1960,it is not clear if the images below were taken at the hotel or in photographic studio,maybe someone out there has some information?

Photo's by Don Craven.
The cover of 'His Hand In Mine' Stereo LP released in December 1960.

Slight variation on the image above.

Unknown?,Colonel Parker and Elvis.

Elvis wore his black belt karate pin in nearly all the images from this session.
Info here : http://www.tracyskarate.com/Stories/was ... k_belt.htm

I thought previously that these images were all taken with same shirt,and that the colour balance was different on each,but now my thoughts are that they are different colour shirts ,due to the fact that the pin is in a slightly different postion in the picture above compared with the light green shirt image further up.

This image I'm sure was taken at this session,the pin can be seen,the shirt looks to be the same as the image above,it's just the hairstyle looks slightly different.?

This image has had the background changed,hopefully someone has the original photo,without the autograph.This group of images are the only one's that the Karate Pin can't be seen.

(updated)

With thanks Davide.
Last edited by davide on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Elvis RCA Photo session August 1960

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:47 am

With thanks Davide.

No, thank you!

RKS

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Awesome! Thanks again davide! ::rocks

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:12 pm

This one you can be interresse Davide thank you for all your posts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:47 pm

davide wrote:Beverley-Wilshire Hotel (pictured 1959),was the venue for Don Cravens to take some stills for a feature in Life Magazine, on August 25th 1960,it is not clear if the images below were taken at the hotel or in photographic studio,maybe someone out there has some information?.

David, are you sure Don Cravens interviewed Elvis for Life Magazine on Aug 25th. I know that Day by Day mentions this, but I have not found any interview in the on-line database of Life Magazine from / after this day.

As for the location of the photos, unless they moved a white piano into a photographic studio, I assume the photo with the white piano (cover shot) was taken at the Wilshire Hotel.

btw- trying to understand the myth of who took the Elvis is Back photos I visited Don Cravens a few years ago in Palm Springs, but we only talked about some Army photos. He must be 85 yrs old now.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:39 am

Davide, shots 5 & 6 show a photographic backdrop has been used with Elvis about 5 feet in front of it & the full body shot would have had to be taken with the photographer some way back. As a photographer hobbyist my guess would be a studio ( it is not unusual for studios to bring in props such as a piano ) which would obviously have such a wall / back drop otherwise a photographer would have had to carry a lot of gear up to a LARGE hotel room....................... not impossible but I personally feel unlikely ( I.M.O )

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:13 am

E-Cat wrote:
davide wrote:Beverley-Wilshire Hotel (pictured 1959),was the venue for Don Cravens to take some stills for a feature in Life Magazine, on August 25th 1960,it is not clear if the images below were taken at the hotel or in photographic studio,maybe someone out there has some information?.

David, are you sure Don Cravens interviewed Elvis for Life Magazine on Aug 25th. I know that Day by Day mentions this, but I have not found any interview in the on-line database of Life Magazine from / after this day.

As for the location of the photos, unless they moved a white piano into a photographic studio, I assume the photo with the white piano (cover shot) was taken at the Wilshire Hotel.

btw- trying to understand the myth of who took the Elvis is Back photos I visited Don Cravens a few years ago in Palm Springs, but we only talked about some Army photos. He must be 85 yrs old now.

Hi E-Cat, I did a check myself, and could find nothing with regards to an article in Life Magazine,I'm just going on the Day to Day evidence,It could be as I have read elsewhere that Colonel Parker met Mr Cravens whilst on the set of 'Flaming Star' and arranged the photo shoot at the hotel,without any interview - I shall remove the reference to 'Life' magazine until such time, that some more evidence comes our way.

With regards to the Elvis Is Back photos, The only information that I can find is from the the book Careless Love by Peter Guralnick, page 29 - "Just after the photographer, (the)Colonel had dispatched from the States to take exclusive publicity pictures of PFC Elvis Presley" which was dated around March 26th 1959 which isn't the timeframe the photo's were taken,but does seem to indicate that the Colonel probably sent the photographer from the US. The evidence I have read previously on this message board puts the time as 'late 59' - bit of mystery indeed.

Davide

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:21 am

claude 91 wrote:This one you can be interresse Davide thank you for all your posts

Hi Claude.

I had put the photo you have posted with these others. Session 1 1960

ImageImage

ImageImage

along with these-probably taken between Monday 27th and Wednesday 29th of June 29th 1960 -taken in the same timeframe as the promo stills for 'G.I. Blues'

In this uncropped picture The khaki trousers can be seen used for the 'G.I. Blues Promo images.

ImageImage

Davide

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Awesome work once again. Thanks Davide !

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 am

Yet another priceless post Davide. Loving your research - thank you!

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:43 am

Davide

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:46 am

Some of these pics could have easily been used for his RCA Lp's.

What a pity!

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:07 am

Davide, has anyone ever told you that you rock?

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Hey Davide, here you go this one in big size posted in TCB-World site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:38 pm

Not a bad lookin' fella was he in 1960! Sounded quite good in that year aswell!

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:04 am

Here is a rare shot from these sessions - anyone have this in better quality?

Davide

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:58 pm

I notice on the cover of the Are You Lonesome Tonight single, they've removed the karate pin. At first, I thought the photo was cropped, but it's not.

Wonder what Elvis thought of that, if anything?

Thanks for another great post Davide.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:41 am

Better quality...

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Thankyou indeed for posting this session again. There were a couple in better quality for me and one new one! I collect all of Elvis' studio photo sessions (colour only) so it is great to see a new one.

Many Thanks
Batjak

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:00 pm

David, is it possible that this is also a Don Craven photo. The background looks the same although Elvis' hair is slightly different

elvis presley.jpg

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:14 am

New photo...

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:44 am

jon_burrows wrote:David, is it possible that this is also a Don Craven photo. The background looks the same although Elvis' hair is slightly different

elvis presley.jpg

See this previous topic here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58202&hilit=+flaming+star

Thanks to The Fool for the new and improved photo's

Davide

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:54 pm

davide wrote:
jon_burrows wrote:David, is it possible that this is also a Don Craven photo. The background looks the same although Elvis' hair is slightly different

elvis presley.jpg

See this previous topic here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58202&hilit=+flaming+star

Thanks to The Fool for the new and improved photo's

Davide

My memory's fading! I can't remember that thread. Thanks for reminding me of it, David.

BTW, great photos.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:39 pm

I just had a new vinyl FTD 'His Hand In Mine ", I share some photos scanned ::rocks

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:59 am

Great topic and photos. Thanks to all.