Jailhouse Rock beauty contest (updated) deleted scenes info

Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: Jailhouse Rock beauty contest (updated) deleted scenes info

Post by hilton22000 »

In the shooting schedule pages (from beautiful book "Inside JR" - Ger Rijff) there are dates printed, in the left side, and in the right side there are another dates, in pencil. From what i saw, i think the pencil dates are the right ones. For example, Whipping Post Scene 27 - Filmed May 22, 1957 (pencil), but the original date was May 21.

But in Scene Garden Party (Judy Tyler and Elvis, MGM Studios, June 13, 1957), on shooting schedule have the dates: June 17 or June 10/11 (pencil).
Wardrobe photos have the date June 13.

About the Jailhouse Rock sequence, we have the May 14 date in shooting schedule, but in Last Train To Memphis the date is May 13: "Principal shooting started the following Monday, May 13, and began with the dance sequence that Alex Romero had worked on with Elvis the previous week. The set was a skeletal scaffolding with barred doors suggesting cells on two levels. There was a fireman’s pole for the inmates on the upper level to slide down, and a cast of professional dancers was outlined in silhouette behind bars at the start of the number. "
What is the real date?

I'm affraid i'm a little (more) confuse about shooting schedule pages, what are the correct dates? The ones in pencil? And, in some schedule pages there are two pencil dates for the same scene, this means the scene was filmed in two days?
(sorry for my english...)

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Liverbobs »

Great pics and info!

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Elton »

Great stuff as usual Davide..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by davide »

Judy Tyler, 24-year-old actress who had just finished making ?Jailhouse Rock? opposite Elvis Presley, was killed in this auto collision, July 4, 1957 in Billy the Kid, Wyoming, July 4, 1957. A passing motorist is bending over her blanketed body on the right. Miss Tyler?s 19-year-old actor husband, Gregory, was fatally injured in the violent crash which also took the life of Donald D. Jones, 23, of Hanna, Wyoming. AP Photo

Davide

TONY
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TONY »

This is an amazing thread. Thanks for posting some unseen (by me) pictures. Marvellous.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

Poor poor judy. Only 21 days to live. We're so lucky that we don't know what fate lies ahead. She looks so damn joyous. :(

TELL IT LIKE IT IS, SON!!! Excusez-moi monsieur ?
Image Image

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Re: Jailhouse Rock beauty contest (updated) deleted scenes

Post by ritchie valens »

wonder if there is or was an uncut print with all the extra scenes that were edited out?

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

United Press Photo 5/18/57
'GIFT RAPT' HOLLYWOOD :
A dream comes true for polio patients Beth Currier (left) 14, and Elaine Brockway, 18, as they met Elvis Presley in Hollywood. Elaine, Paralyzed from the neck down, was taken from the Sister Kenny Memorial Hospital in El Monte, California to present Presley with a scrapbook she made despite her handicaps. Beth, confined to a wheelchair, gave the rock 'n' roll star a pair of good luck toy poodles made of yarn, as a gift for the start of his new film, "Jailhouse Rock."

Singer Elvis Presley (right) meets polio victims Beth Currier, left, and Elaine Brockway in an unspecified location in California, May 17(friday),1957. Beth, 14, now confined to a wheelchair, presents Presley with a scrapbook, made mostly using her mouth. Elaine, 18, is paralyzed from the neck down.

Elvis Day By Day : Elvis wrote a note to the staff of the Cedars of Lebanon Hospital: "Dear Friends, I want you to know how very much I appreciate your very wonderful treatment while I was there. When I went in I was all shook up but I left loving you. Thanks a million. My best to all. Sincerely, Elvis Presley."

Thursday May 16, 1957

Thursday May 16, 1957

Thursday May 16, 1957

Saturday Newspaper clipping - May 18,1957

Davide

VEGAS74
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by VEGAS74 »

Some years ago I bought a collection of 120 shorthand notes (and a shooting schedule) made by Trude Forsher Elvis secretary while he was making Jailhouse Rock.
Two of the notes I have scanned for you mention Hospital and found in lungs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Thanks very much for the scan - it would be great to see more of the shooting schedule??

Davide
Last edited by davide on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

VEGAS74 wrote:Some years ago I bought a collection of 120 shorthand notes (and a shooting schedule) made by Trude Forsher Elvis secretary while he was making Jailhouse Rock.

Did you get these from her son, James Forsher?

About Dr. James Forsher
http://web.me.com/jforsher/Forsher_Consultancy/about_Dr._Forsher.html

I once went to his (former) Berkeley house on business and got to review tons of items in his collection, all from his mom's years working for Presley management. He had a screenplay he was trying to develop about his mom's Elvis story, from his perspective as a kid.

One of the highlights in Forsher's collection was seeing some of the phone messages for Elvis Trude took when he was at Paramount in early 1958 for "King Creole," including a couple from Sammy Davis, Jr.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

VEGAS74

Post by VEGAS74 »

davide wrote:Thanks very much for the scan - it would be great to see more of the shooting schedule??

Davide
The schedule is for three Jailhouse Rock scenes..wed 29 1957 plus other films for that day...

VEGAS74

Post by VEGAS74 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
VEGAS74 wrote:Some years ago I bought a collection of 120 shorthand notes (and a shooting schedule) made by Trude Forsher Elvis secretary while he was making Jailhouse Rock.

Did you get these from her son, James Forsher?

About Dr. James Forsher
http://web.me.com/jforsher/Forsher_Consultancy/about_Dr._Forsher.html

I once went to his (former) Berkeley house on business and got to review tons of items in his collection, all from his mom's years working for Presley management. He had a screenplay he was trying to develop about his mom's Elvis story, from his perspective as a kid.

One of the highlights in Forsher's collection was seeing some of the phone messages for Elvis Trude took when he was at Paramount in early 1958 for "King Creole," including a couple from Sammy Davis, Jr.
Yes they are from her son (see cert)...also got the original printers plates used to make the promo,s for the film...

drjohncarpenter

Man, you must have money to burn!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

VEGAS74

Post by VEGAS74 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Man, you must have money to burn!
man I wish!.....I still have to sweat blood to pay for my stuff just like the next fan! sometimes its just a matter of being at the right place at the right time....also I dont smoke.....dont drink.....dont eat!....just breath Elvis that keeps me goin

drjohncarpenter

VEGAS74 wrote:
man I wish!.....I still have to sweat blood to pay for my stuff just like the next fan! sometimes its just a matter of being at the right place at the right time....also I dont smoke.....dont drink.....dont eat!....just breath Elvis that keeps me goin
Well, right on!

::rocks

Question: do you have any 1954-55 Sun acetates?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

VEGAS74

Post by VEGAS74 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
VEGAS74 wrote:
Well, right on!

::rocks

Question: do you have any 1954-55 Sun acetates?
Do I have any Sun acetates....mmm let me see?
....the nearest (and the longest!) to any Sun record that early would be my "pen" that Jim Curtin sold in his auction...(what the "F" I here you say!)
it was used by Elvis to signe two Sun "sample" records (45 and 78)
Does that count Doc?

(guess not!... but was worth a try)

(...I was in the Hilton around that time so not far from them does that cou..........never mind)

sorry to go off topic Davide.....just a bit a fun. I can scan the promo print plates for you if you want.

drjohncarpenter

hilton22000 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:13 am
Very welcome, Davide. And thank you very much for all the photos and infos you gave us, wonderful job!!! :smt006
Do you have a date for this photo, please?
jailhouserock1042gn.jpg
Mississippi wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:19 am
I don’t know the date, but the names oft he persons:

From left to the right: Dennis Hallett, Elvis, Tom Brown and Godfrey Kerr, all friends of Mickey Shaughnessy’s son

Mississippi

Well, the date likely goes to 5-21-1957 (Tue) at MGM, based on his clothing, and how his hair falls across his forehead, in the photo.

570521_w teenage fans_MGM.jpg

But I'm curious about the names of the teen-agers seen with him. Online many identify these boys as Texas rockabilly artist Mac Curtis and two band mates, Jim and Ken Galbraith. But they don't actually look like them.

And they cannot be friends of co-star Mickey Shaughnessy's son, Michael. His firstborn was a one year-old baby in 1957.

https://www.spokeo.com/Michael-Shaughnessy/Nevada

Moving Family
Hollywood, Cal. -- With "Jailhouse Rock" as his fourth Hollywood picture in a matter of months, Mickey Shaughnessy has decided to move his wife and young baby from New York to Hollywood.

Baltimore Evening Sun - Wednesday, June 5, 1957
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/369763512/

So where did those names come from?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Alan_K
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Alan_K »

Not a lot adds up about Mickey Shaughnessy.
He had 3 sons and 4 daughters.
If his first born was when he was 37, well, anythings feasible on that front to keep the pace going, but I'm wondering if they didn't adopt / foster / or from previous previous marriage(s) when it came to some of the other children.
So could the reference to HIS first born be correct, but that the two on Elvis' left be his step sons or foster sons or adopted sons?
The childrens names are, Michael and Kevin Shaughnessy and Joseph Gallagher; four daughters, Barbara Shaughnessy, Maureen Lewis, Theresa Filippo and Elizabeth Gallagher.
Can't tell with the females as that's married names, except the shared surname of Gallagher.
Are any of the boys those that are in the photo - sorry, cant move you closer to that either.
Are they who the sources say they are, no idea, but as you point out - they look nothing like them, I mean NOTHING like them.

15562days.com - A chronological profile of the most influential artist of the latter half of the 20th century, Elvis Presley.