Jailhouse Rock beauty contest (updated) deleted scenes info

Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Jailhouse Rock beauty contest (updated) deleted scenes info

Post by davide »

While he was on the set of "Jailhouse Rock" in 1957 australian fans sent him a wallaby, a type of kangaroo .He donated it to the Memphis Zoo.

Davide

Tcm Movie Archive

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

"Scene 35 : Florita Club. Filmed on tuesday 28th of May 1957." - On photo with Gloria Pall we can see 5/27/57, this is the right date for Scene 35?

I believe the 28th is the correct date for scene 35 Interior Club La Florita from info below,also confirmation from the schedule, signed off after the shoot.
The letters by the number 35 indicate a different set up/angle within the same scene.From Inside Jailhouse Rock

thanks Davide

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by TJ »

Cool thread. Good job David.

Elvis always looks really happy on the set of this movie. I seem to recall Elaine Dundy suggesting otherwise, but I think that was possibly an overactive imagination at work (she drew on the Vern in prison parallel).

Barbie
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Barbie »

Totally amazing - both pictures and stories...................Love it - keep up the great work..............................

claude 91
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by claude 91 »

Marvellous topic David thank you, me reached two photos of Elvis with the kangaroo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gian

Post by gian »

Great topic!
Thank you so much!

concerts

Post by concerts »

thanks Davide

very nice

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by hilton22000 »

June 12, 1957 - Elvis and Sit n' Jump, babby wallaby send by an australian fan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

May 16: Elvis is released from the hospital.
Image Image Image

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

June 6-7, 1957 - Anne Neyland,Elvis, and Judy Tyler (alternates)
Image Image Image
Last edited by hilton22000 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

Awesome

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Thanks to hilton22000 for the additional images.

The good news is I have found/discovered some new photo's from the Jailhouse rock sessions and one from the on set timeframe,the bad news is that they are really bad quality as they have originally come from the Warner Blu-Ray/DVD Jailhouse Rock making of documentary.I have simply taken the images with my camera phone - and hope that someone can grab some decent screen-grabs via a computer?

April 30th 1957, Radio Recorders,Hollywood
unknown,Hoyt Hawkins,Elvis,Gordon Stoker,Hugh Jarrett with Dudley Brooks at the piano.

April 30th 1957, Radio Recorders,Hollywood
Elvis stood with Bill Black behind him sat on chair with electric bass,unkown by door,Neil Matthews on upright Bass,Dudley Brooks on piano,with Scotty Moore sat with guitar and headphones on.

May 3rd 1957,Radio Recorders,Hollywood
Elvis leans over to Hoyt Hawkins at the piano with Hugh Jarratt behind Elvis

May 3rd 1957,Radio Recorders,Hollywood
Arthur Hooton?*,Neil Matthews,Hoyt Hawkins at the piano with George Klein behind him.Elvis,D.J.Fontana,Hugh Jarrett and Scotty Moore with Guitar,and unknown(suggestion by drjohncarpenter that its MGM musical supervisor Jeff Alexander0

Judy Tyler with cowboy hat,unknown and Dean Jones,and Elvis. Dean Jones and Judy Tyler are in costume for Scene 84,Peggy's Hotel room,which could make it the 5th June 1957,MGM sudios

see The Jailhouse Rock Sessions topic for the other photos from this time.
*?
thanks Davide
Last edited by davide on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

Very welcome, Davide. And thank you very much for all the photos and infos you gave us, wonderful job!!! :smt006
Do you have a date for this photo, please?

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Tricky one to date , the clothes Elvis is wearing covers scenes 29,30,31,32,35,36 and 37. - which means possible dates are

May 20th,22nd,24th,28th 1957

One more photo from the Jailhouse Rock dvd
Elvis listening to record/demo/playback with D.J. Fontana. Date May/June 57?and Location unknown

Looks to be the same machine,Judy Tyler,Bob Neal,Elvis,?,Dewey Philips

Davide
Last edited by davide on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jove
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Jove »

Great job davide!

is it true that Russ Tamblyn served as a choreographer (uncredited) for Elvis Presley in 1957's Jailhouse Rock. It was mentioned in wikipedia.I haven't seen any evidence.

Scratch me now a little lower

Mississippi
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mississippi »

Hilton22000 wrote
/Very welcome, Davide. And thank you very much for all the photos and infos you gave us, wonderful job!!! Do you have a date for this photo, please?/

I don’t know the date, but the names oft he persons:

From left to the right: Dennis Hallett, Elvis, Tom Brown and Godfrey Kerr, all friends of Mickey Shaughnessy’s son

Mississippi

Mississippi
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mississippi »

Davide wrote:

/April 30th 1957, Radio Recorders,Hollywood
unknown, Hoyt Hawkins, Elvis, Gordon Stoker, Hugh Jarrett with Dudley Brooks at the piano./

I think, the unknown person is Sammy Davis Jr.

Mississippi

gracelandgirl
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by gracelandgirl »

Two unknown country and western stars ?,Dean Jones,and Elvis. Dean Jones is in costume for Scene 84,Peggy's Hotel room,which could make it the 5th June 1957,MGM sudios

see The Jailhouse Rock Sessions topic for the other photos from this time.
*?
thanks Davide[/quote]

Isn't that Judy Tyler and Mickey Shaughnessy with Dean Jones & Elvis? From memory, didn't 'Hunk' wear that cowboy hat during the TV show sequence, when he sang 'One More Day'? ::rocks

Excellent thread, thanks Davide for all the information and to everyone who has posted photo's. ::rocks ::rocks

hilton22000

Post by hilton22000 »

Mississippi wrote:Hilton22000 wrote
/Very welcome, Davide. And thank you very much for all the photos and infos you gave us, wonderful job!!! Do you have a date for this photo, please?/

I don’t know the date, but the names oft he persons:

From left to the right: Dennis Hallett, Elvis, Tom Brown and Godfrey Kerr, all friends of Mickey Shaughnessy’s son

Mississippi
Thank you very much for the info :smt006

E-Cat
Registered for: 21 years

Post by E-Cat »

nice photo's - thanks !

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

This thread is unbelievable :!:

Elvis Presley was a pretty man.

Thanks. :)

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
davide

Re: Jailhouse Rock beauty contest (updated) deleted scenes

Post by davide »

ImageImage

ImageImage

CAR CRASH KILLS ACTRESS, MATE.
JUDY TYLER, 24, RIDGEFIELD, HUSBAND DIE IN WYOMING.
Ridgefield, July 5. -- Services for JUDY TYLER, 24-year-old screen star who, with her actor-husband, was killed yesterday in an auto accident near the tourist resort of Billy the Kid, Wyo., will take place Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. in the FRANK CAMPBELL funeral home, 81st street and Madison avenue. MISS TYLER, who was a member of the First Church of Christ Scientist, will be cremated at Ferncliff, N.Y.
The daughter of MR. and MRS. JULIAN S. HESS, of Nutmeg ridge, MISS TYLER, with her husband of less than four months, GREGORY LAFAYETTE, was scheduled to have appeared on Pantomime Quiz, which will be inaugurated tonight on CBS. MR. and MRS. HESS, who have resided the past five years in Ridgefield where MR. HESS is a building contractor, are MISS TYLER'S only survivors.
She had just completed her first starring dramatic role, playing opposite ELVIS PRESLEY in "Jailhouse Rock," and a musical "Bop Girl Goes Calypso," is scheduled for July 15 release. MISS TYLER co-starred in Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Pipe Dream" with BILL JOHNSON, who died five months ago of a heart ailment. She had appeared on numerous TV shows and recently completed a series of melodramas, "Perry Mason, Detective."
Born Oct. 9, 1932, in New York city, MISS TYLER attended schools in Teaneck, N.J., and studied in the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. The brown eyed, raven haired actress won the title of "Miss Stardust," a nationwide beauty contest, in 1948.
MISS TYLER and MR. LAFAYETTE, of Hopewell Junction, N.Y., were married March 17 in Miami, Fla. The young couple had been living at 158 West 44th street, New York city.
The LAFAYETTES were motoring east from Hollywood. Police said MR. LAFAYETTE apparently swung into the lane of oncoming traffic to avoid hitting a car which was pulling onto U.S. Highway 30 from a tourist curio shop.
The LAFAYETTES' car smashed head-on into a westbound car occupied by DONALD J. JONES, 23, of Hanna, Wyo., and PAUL L. REED, 32, also of Hanna. MR. JONES was killed and MR. REED injured. A dog and cat in the LAFAYETTES' car also were killed.

Reported from the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

Barring a last-minute change in plans, Elvis Presley will not go to New York for Tuesday's funeral of the starlet who co-starred with him in his latest movie, "Jailhouse Rock." Judy Tyler and her husband, Gregory Lafayette, a television actor, were killed Wednesday in an automobile accident near Billy the Kid, Wyo. Tentative plans call for a double funeral Tuesday afternoon in New York. Mrs. Vernon Presley, mother of the rock and roll star, said last night the family had "talked it over and decided it was best for Elvis not to go." It was their feeling Elvis should remember her as she was before death. "He'll just send flowers," Mrs. Presley added, "unless Elvis takes a notion at the last minute.

Bop girl Judy Tyler was born Judith Mae Hess on October 9, 1933, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The daughter of a big band trumpeter and a former Ziegfeld girl, she got her show business break at the age of 13 playing Princess Summerfall Winterspring on The Howdy Doody Show. During a brief marriage to composer/lyricist Colin Romoff, Tyler was whisked out of the Broadway chorus line to star in the Rogers and Hammerstein musical Pipedream, based on a novel by John Steinbeck. Playing a vaguely defined Cannery Row prostitute (a role for which Julie Andrews had auditioned unsuccessfully), Tyler was nominated for a Tony award but Pipe Dreams failed to catch fire. Nonetheless, when Life magazine put the beauty on the cover of its December 26, 1955 issue in the company of other “shining young Broadway stars” Diane Cilento, Susan Strasberg, Lois Smith and Jayne Mansfield, Tyler’s stock began to rise. Granted a divorce from her first husband, Tyler married actor Gregory LaFayette in 1957. That same year, she played the eponymous chanteuse of Bop Girl Goes Calypso and was chosen to star in a film opposite the King of Rock himself, Elvis Presley. Three days after completing her work on Jailhouse Rock (1957), Tyler and LaFayette were killed i

A Milwaukee detective returned home today with the personal belongings of movie starlet Judy Tyler which were recovered from the wreckage of a head-on Wyoming highway crash that killed Miss Tyler and her husband last Wednesday

Gregory Lafayette and Judy Tyler Lafayette were involved in an auto accident on
July 3rd, 1957. The accident occurred on US-287/30 three miles north of Rock River, Wyoming in the northbound lane of US-287/30. At 5:50 PM a '54 Chevy driven by Paul Reed broadsided the '57 Chevy of the Lafayettes, which had swerved into the northbound lane to avoid colliding with a car towing a trailer
that had just pulled into the southbound lane in front of them.
The collision was so violent that all the window glass in both cars was reduced to powder. The '54 Chevy penetrated the Lafayette's car by 3 feet,
cutting Judy Tyler in half. A passenger in Reed's car was nearly decapitated.
Greg Lafayette was taken to Ivinson Memorial Hospital in Laramie with a broken back and a fractured leg. He died there July 4th.
The site of the accident was directly in front of a popular convenience store and petting zoo called "Wild Bill's", erroneously reported as "Billy The Kid",
Wyoming. There is no such town; it was a convenience stop.

Robert E. Relyea (First assistant director on Jailhouse Rock): "Elvis loved women - all women. He wasn't just out to conquer them,he truly cherished them,and I believe,without doubt,that the woman he loved more than any other in his life was Judy Tyler his co-star in Jailhouse.

We tested four actresses for the role of Peggy,the beautiful businesswoman who tries to teach the brash young singer about love and responsiblity.Judy won the audition,despite interference from her annoying husband,the french ballet dancer Gregory Lafayette. Richard Thorpe had enough of Lafayette's meddling after ten minutes and had him physically thrown off the lot,telling Hollywood the guard at the Thalberg gate,"If you ever see this man again,shoot him!" So the husband wasn't seen at the studio after that,and the romance between Elvis and Judy developed quickly.It was an intense affair,Elvis grew to love her deeply,about the second week of shooting,the leads were ten minutes late returning from lunch-Richard Thorpe said to Elvis
"Let me explain something to you,as long as I am directing this picture,when we go to lunch from one o'clock to two o'clock we will start shooting at two o'clock" "Yes sir"Elvis said "Now,what an actor and actress do with each other away from the camera,I couldn't care less,but I won't let it interfere with our work" said Thorpe - "it was totally my fault,It won't happen again" said Elvis and it didn't

Many of us believed that once the filming of the movie ended,Elvis and Judy would go public with their love for each other,however Judy was sent on a short publicity tour when the picture wrapped without Elvis,if Judy was going to leave her husband , it would have to wait a few more weeks.*

Elvis and Judy Tyler on set. This has been taken from a magazine,and though of poor quality has the original background(this image is most often found with the background removed)

*Extracted from the book 'Not so quiet on the set' by Robert E. Relyea
Last edited by davide on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

pjdlibra
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by pjdlibra »

wow these are awesome thanks so much

california boy
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by california boy »

Amazing post, thank you Davide
great stories, great pictures, very good information
sincerely
Lior :smt006

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !