Davide

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 21 years

The Jailhouse Rock Sessions

Post by davide »

de
Last edited by davide on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:52 am, edited 22 times in total.

Registered for: 17 years

Re: The Jailhouse Rock Sessions

Post by 53310761 »

Fantastic, thanks for this!

"Its only Words and Words are all I have..

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

A great post,very interesting,thanks

-instagram kenh1964

Elton
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Elton »

Nicely done davide! 8)

"I Don't Sound Like Nobody" Thats Because Nobody Sounds Like You !

"you remember that doncha?"
Later Elton ^j^

claude 91
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by claude 91 »

davide beautiful thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Thanks for another brilliant topic davide.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

Cool. There's a couple of nice ones there I hadn't seen and a couple uncropped versions of stuff I had. I think a couple are from Ger's book Inside Jailhouse Rock too.

heres a page on radio recorders http://scottymoore.net/studio_radiorecorders.html

jean mary
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by jean mary »

Fantastic post ......thank you!

Jean

california boy
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by california boy »

Wow !!!
Love it
Thank you Davide, as always you are doin a great job, lots of details and lots of photos
One of my favorites topics: Photos and information from Recording sessions to see the recordings in "real time"
Hope to see some day another post like this for ACAPULCO \ ROUSTABOUT \ GIRL HAPPY SESSIONS
Cant recall any pictures from those 3 recording sessions, would love to see them :)
Have a great week
Sincerely
Lior :smt006

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Tremendous and enjoyable posting! Thank you.

Note: in the two photos where you are unsure if it is Gordon Stoker, the first is definitely Gordon, the second is not.

In fact, that second image may well depict MGM musical supervisor Jeff Alexander.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

davide wrote:May 1st or May 3rd 1957
Notice Elvis is wearing black shoes in this image and white/black ones in the other's.
This has caused the dates to be inconclusive at this stage.
Another great post Davide, but Elvis is not wearing black shoes as you assumed.
The cropped picture only show the top of the shoes but the less cropped picture
below shows that he was wearing the same white/black shoes.....

apologies for the bad quality

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Thanks E-Cat for that,I will change the dates.

JamesVRoy, thanks for the extra info on Radio Recorders - Would you know which studio is which by any chance? The photo you have with the caption "Studio B control room during an André Previn session in the '60s" looks like the studio Elvis used on April 30th 1957 which would be at 7000 Santa Monica Blvd?
The tape legend for the 3rd May has the same studio marked as the April 30th session (reproduced page 143 of Flashback FTD book)
Any thoughts ?

drjohncarpenter,thanks for the photo info.

thanks again
Davide
Last edited by davide on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

davide wrote: May 1st or May 3rd 1957.
Dudley Brooks at the piano,Hugh Jarrett ,same unknown sat at the drum kit,
Bill Black,Elvis holding electric bass and Scotty Moore on guitar,unknown
lower right of frame.
Strange enough, EJ's book (A Life in Music) mentions that the picture is from
May 5th. This date must be a mistake - there was no session that day.

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

Barbie
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Barbie »

Wow - thanx - what a great posting - a few shots there I've never seen before!! It's always so great to see Elvis in the studio .. I really hope we get to see more exclusive photos from his recording sessions.......it was great seeing more session photos in Elvis Sessions III.............

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

BUMP :D

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

davide wrote:Thanks E-Cat for that,I will change the dates.

JamesVRoy, thanks for the extra info on Radio Recorders - Would you know which studio is which by any chance? The photo you have with the caption "Studio B control room during an André Previn session in the '60s" looks like the studio Elvis used on April 30th 1957 which would be at 7000 Santa Monica Blvd?
The tape legend for the 3rd May has the same studio marked as the April 30th session (reproduced page 143 of Flashback FTD book)
Any thoughts ?

thanks again
Davide
Yes, all the studios at Radio Recorders at the time were at 7000 Santa monica Blvd when Elvis recorded in the 50s. The caption for the Andre Previn photo I beleive came with the photo from the company, Digital Excellence which if I remember correctly was the company that eventaully owned the business. They told me that was at the Santa Monica Blvd address too. There were 3 rooms there and I don't remember sure which ones were which from the photos from when I did the page. I could never really get a feel either how they were laid out looking at the the diagrams. Bob Moore identified one for me back then, I think the one where Elvis has the bass, but he didn't record with them there till the 60s

This is only speculation, but for simplification, let's call the wall to Elvis left the North wall and we're looking towards the NE corner.

this would be looking NW along the north wall.

given the orientation of the piano if it hadn't been moved this would be looking towards the SE corner

this would be roughly facing the south wall

to be honest though, I'm not even sure these are the same rooms. Most of the mics in the earlier ones are RCAs and the ones in the later look like Nuemans. What I called the south wall should be about where the control room should be.
Is it possible that these pix with Elvis playing the Fender bass are from the September session at Radio Recorders? We've all heard the story about Elvis playing bass on Baby I Don't Care but it bugs me that Bill didn't get one of those until August of 57

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Found a slightly less cropped version of the this shot,from Fans star library no 2

Also the songs originally submitted for the Soundtrack - from a letter on 'Elvis Presley Music,Inc' dated March 30th 1957,from Jean Aberbach to Colonel Parker.

Tepper - Bennett : Quarters,Nickles,and Dimes
Young Hearts
One More Day

Leiber and Stoller : Jailhouse Rock
Sands Of Time
Treat Me Nice
I Want To Be Free
Yeah,Yeah,Yeah

Bernie Weisman : Lonesome Blue

Aaron Schroder and Josephine Peoples : That Ain't Right

Rosemarie McCoy and Kelly Owens : Don't Be Araid

Additional information:
Quarters,Nickles,and Dimes (First Registration Number / Date EU0000475437 / 1957-04-19 ) 19th April 1957
Young Hearts (First Registration Number / Date: EP0000110933 / 1957-07-26) 26th of July 1957

Davide
Last edited by davide on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

jon_burrows
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by jon_burrows »

Another great post davide, thank you very much.

PStoller
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by PStoller »

davide wrote:songs originally submitted for the Soundtrack - from a letter on 'Elvis Presley Music, Inc' dated March 30th 1957,from Jean Aberbach to Colonel Parker.

Sands Of Time
Treat Me Nice
I Want To Be Free
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
FYI:

"Sands of Time" is sufficiently obscure that I've never heard it; nobody has ever recorded it for release. The good news is, there is an acetate of a demo; the bad news is, the song was significantly rewritten after that acetate was recorded, so what's on it is not what Elvis heard. That later version seems to have been lost in, uh, the sands of time.

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" is an R&B number that was cut by Joe Liggins in 1954. Amongst other places, you can find it on Ace's The Leiber & Stoller Story, Vol. 1: Hard Times—The Los Angeles Years 1951-56.

Conspicuously absent from this list is "(You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care."

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

PStoller wrote:
davide wrote:songs originally submitted for the Soundtrack - from a letter on 'Elvis Presley Music, Inc' dated March 30th 1957,from Jean Aberbach to Colonel Parker.

Sands Of Time
Treat Me Nice
I Want To Be Free
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
FYI:

"Sands of Time" is sufficiently obscure that I've never heard it; nobody has ever recorded it for release. The good news is, there is an acetate of a demo; the bad news is, the song was significantly rewritten after that acetate was recorded, so what's on it is not what Elvis heard. That later version seems to have been lost in, uh, the sands of time.

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" is an R&B number that was cut by Joe Liggins in 1954. Amongst other places, you can find it on Ace's The Leiber & Stoller Story, Vol. 1: Hard Times—The Los Angeles Years 1951-56.

PStoller, thank you. Always love seeing your awesome contributions!

drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:
PStoller wrote:

Sands Of Time
Treat Me Nice
I Want To Be Free
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
FYI:

PStoller, thank you. Always love seeing your awesome contributions!
Agreed!

It is possible "(You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care" was a late add to the mix. Wish we knew for sure. It's neat to remember that it is Elvis playing the quarter notes on Bill Black's Fender Bass, after Black left the studio. Apparently, the final mix includes an acoustic bass doubling Elvis' work on the master take -- perhaps Bill made up for his impulsive retreat.

The CD Peter mentions is by Ace (UK) and is a great compilation:

The Leiber & Stoller Story, Vol. 1: Hard Times -- The Los Angeles Years 1951-56
http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=421

Among others, it has Freddie Bell's "Hound Dog" and Young Jessie's "Hot Dog." Woof!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

JamesVRoy wrote:
davide wrote:Thanks E-Cat for that,I will change the dates.

Any thoughts ?

thanks again
Davide
Yes, all the studios at Radio Recorders at the time were at 7000 Santa monica Blvd when Elvis recorded in the 50s. The caption for the Andre Previn photo I beleive came with the photo from the company, Digital Excellence which if I remember correctly was the company that eventaully owned the business. They told me that was at the Santa Monica Blvd address too. There were 3 rooms there and I don't remember sure which ones were which from the photos from when I did the page. I could never really get a feel either how they were laid out looking at the the diagrams. Bob Moore identified one for me back then, I think the one where Elvis has the bass, but he didn't record with them there till the 60s

This is only speculation, but for simplification, let's call the wall to Elvis left the North wall and we're looking towards the NE corner.

this would be looking NW along the north wall.

given the orientation of the piano if it hadn't been moved this would be looking towards the SE corner

this would be roughly facing the south wall

to be honest though, I'm not even sure these are the same rooms. Most of the mics in the earlier ones are RCAs and the ones in the later look like Nuemans. What I called the south wall should be about where the control room should be.
Is it possible that these pix with Elvis playing the Fender bass are from the September session at Radio Recorders? We've all heard the story about Elvis playing bass on Baby I Don't Care but it bugs me that Bill didn't get one of those until August of 57
Hi Davide, After looking at these again I don't believe the ones with Elvis with the P-bass are from Radio Recorders, at least not the same studio as the others. You may be right in that they could be from the MGM soundstage. The ones that show the drumset are clearly in a different orientation then the others against the wall.

drjohncarpenter

davide wrote:***Elvis's group consisted of George Klein,Arthur Hooton,Gene Smith,Lamar Fike,Junior Smith and Cliff Gleaves.My feeling is thats most likely Cliff Gleaves.
Of that group, the build most closely matches that of Arthur Hooten.

Here's a screen grab from "Jailhouse Rock" with Hooten:

L-R: Mike Stoller, Steve Warren, Scotty Moore, Katherine Warren, Arthur Tovey, Arthur Hooten and Gene Smith
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
davide wrote:***Elvis's group consisted of George Klein,Arthur Hooton,Gene Smith,Lamar Fike,Junior Smith and Cliff Gleaves.My feeling is thats most likely Cliff Gleaves.

Yes,I agree it does look Arthur Hooten,will change caption - thanks

Davide

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Here's a still from "Jailhouse Rock" with Hooten:

L-R: Mike Stoller, Steve Warren, Scotty Moore, Katherine Warren, Arthur Tovey, Arthur Hooten and Gene Smith
That's not a still, that's a frame I captured from the movie
http://www.pbase.com/jroy/jrock
Thanks for the other names