You can add here the info of Elvis in the media

Jay-Z dethrones the King

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:09 am

It's official: Jay-Z is bigger than Elvis Presley..

The Brooklyn rapper has scored his 11th No. 1 album on the Billboard charts by selling 476,000 copies of The Blueprint 3. That means that Jay-Z, 39, has surpassed the King to become history's solo artist with the most No. 1 albums. A People magazine wag noted that comment was sought from Presley, but "he hasn't been spotted in an Appalachian-area 7-Eleven for weeks."

Jay-Z makes history this week, securing his 11th number one album with The Blueprint 3, to move ahead of Elvis Presley as the solo artist with most number one albums in the history of Billboard’s Top 200 chart.

The album debuts in style, moving an estimated 476,000 copies, the third highest weekly tally of 2009 and the fourth highest of his career.

The only act to sell more albums than Jay-Z last week is also the only act to have more number one albums – The Beatles. America proved its enduring passion for the Fab Four by buying an astonishing 626,000 albums – most of them the newly-issued remasters - by the group last week, almost 40 years after they disbanded. The Beatles provided five of America’s 10 biggest-selling albums last week, with Abbey Road the nation’s number three choice (89,000 sales), followed by Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (number five, 74,000), The Beatles (White Album) (number seven, 60,000), Rubber Soul (number nine, 58,000) and Revolver (number 10, 46,000). Those chart positions apply only to Billboard’s comprehensive chart, as chart regulations dictate that albums over 18 months old are ineligible to return to the chart once they dip out of the top half of the higher-profile, more-prestigious Top 200, no matter how many copies they sell, and regardless of new, remastered editions. That being the case, the only Beatles albums eligible for Top 200 chart duty this week are the new Beatles In Stereo and Beatles In Mono boxed sets, which duly debut at 15 and 40, respectively, on sales of 26,000 and 12,000.

The Jay-Z and Beatles releases gave retail a shot in the arm, with sales increasing week-on-week by 6.34% to 6.7m. That is less than 2% down on the same week in 2008 – a triumph considering sales are down year-on-year by 14.17%. New albums by Raekwon, Brooks & Dunn and Boys Like Girls also sold well enough to debut inside the Top 10.

Rapper Raekwon’s Only Built For Cuban Linx...Pt II debuts at number four on sales of 68,000 copies and is, as its name suggests, a sequel to his original Only Built For Cuban Linx album which also reached number four when it was released more than 13 years ago. Country duo Brooks & Dunn’s compilation #1s And Then Some follows at number five, with 55,000 buyers, becoming their third Top 10 compilation and their ninth Top 10 album in all. Boys Like Girls’ Love Drunk debuts at number eight with nearly 45,000 buyers on the heels of the success of the title track, which has sold 618,000 copies to date.

The Beatles showed the rest of the British contingent a clean pair of heels. Imogen Heap’s Ellipse leads the rest, though it crashes for the second week in a row, diving 29-64. The Arctic Monkeys’ Humbug is off 50-69, Coldplay’s Viva La Vida Or Death & All His Friends slips 100-111, George Harrison’s Let It Roll surfs 163-155 and The XX’s self-titled debut falls 125-161. Queen + Paul Rodgers’ Live In Ukraine, new at number 111 last week, has already disappeared, and Seal’s Soul (number 196) also does a vanishing act.

On the Hot 100, Black Eyed Peas extend their reign at number one to a historic 24 weeks in a row – 12 with Boom Boom Pow, followed immediately by another 12 for I Gotta Feeling. The song’s reign could be over as soon as next week, as the UK’s Jay Sean and his US foil Lil Wayne’s Down – number two again – continues to close the gap. Meanwhile, another Anglo/American alliance, that of Jay-Z and Mr Hudson, debut at number 75 with their collaboration, Young Forever.

Re: Jay-Z dethrones the King

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 am

Todays sales mean nothing

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:01 pm

I have never head of any of those albums by him or have any idea what they contain. However, ask any 13 year old.......

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:24 am

30 years from now nobody's knows who jay-z ever was......Elvis will be still selling his cd's etc.....

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:20 am

TONY wrote:I have never head of any of those albums by him or have any idea what they contain. However, ask any 13 year old.......

Boy, you sure are threatened by things you don't understand. It's seldom you fail to attack any topic dealing with rap or hip-hop music. You must be well over 50, white, and isolated, yes?

Sun Hero wrote:30 years from now nobody's knows who jay-z ever was......Elvis will be still selling his cd's etc.....

You should hang with TONY, think of the fun you'll have!

Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:25 am

It's all a bit silly really. Elvis no doubt has Jay-Z beaten on every other chart stat, so talk of dethroning is just hype.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:36 am

TJ wrote:talk of dethroning is just hype.

Oh, thank God!

I have not had a good night's sleep in nearly a year worrying about this.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Rob wrote:
TJ wrote:talk of dethroning is just hype.

Oh, thank God!

I have not had a good night's sleep in nearly a year worrying about this.

Glad I could be of service to you and your family :)

Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TONY wrote:I have never head of any of those albums by him or have any idea what they contain. However, ask any 13 year old.......

Boy, you sure are threatened by things you don't understand. It's seldom you fail to attack any topic dealing with rap or hip-hop music. You must be well over 50, white, and isolated, yes?

Is that the profile of someone who doesn't like rap?

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:23 pm

As Elvis passed away 33 years ago, im suprised its taken this long to break his records, Well done to Jay-z but i dont think Elvis would of been losing much sleep over it. The only thing i know about Jay-Z he is married to B. Knowles and that would be something Elvis would of agreed with lol. Records are there to be broken and you never know one day Elvis 21/22 number 1's in england might be broken by someone but will that person or group be remembered as much as Elvis is.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:11 am

Elvis: American Institution

Jay-Z: Corporate Institution.

And by the way Jay-Z can kiss my butt. Thank you.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:02 am

Charts, charts, charts. That makes Jay-Z bigger than Elvis? :shock:

Don't think so. For one, Elvis was the total package. So it just wasn't about #'s concerning him.
And really, I'd like to see who's still standing 30 years from now. (Hopefully I will be! LOL)
But I know our boy certainly will be.