You can add here the info of Elvis in the media

Elvis said to have been a 'hardcore' drug user

Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:45 pm

I just have to get this off my chest ....

on the website of the most respected newspaper in my country is an article about Cybill Shepard, where she says that she is still sad about the loss of her former lover, Elvis (my guess is that she's more sad that she hasn't been in the limelight for the past few years); but there is a direct quote from here which is "[...] When I knew him he was very sweet but also up to his neck in drugs [here translated into hardcore drugs]" (my language differentiates between a hardcore drug user and a legal drug addict, like Elvis was; sadly english doesn't - and that's why so many translators take the more sensational path :roll: )

Also, a direct quote to the article is "She also said that he suffered from depression and eating disorder".

I couldn't sit idle by, so I sent an email to them and stated that their translation was wrong - as the other translation of the word "drug" was to apply here, and I wanted it corrected. Also I stated that I hadn't read nor heard anything from Elvis's doctors about anything that he suffered from depression and eating disorder ...sure, one can assume that he had that; but as far as I know there have been no such diagnosis of Elvis from his doctors that treated him.

The reply was, in a short form, that they were just stating what she blurted out (my expression) and since it was something that she stated and was new, it was exciting; what ever was correct is another matter, as always with other people's statements.

*sigh* What ever happened to the truth in the media?

...also, can some one please say what year this pic is from for me?

Last edited by Jth on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis said to have been a 'hardcore' drug user

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:11 pm

The picture you're referring to is from Jacksonville, FL on April 16, 1972.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:17 pm

Tony Trout wrote:The picture you're referring to is from Jacksonville, FL on April 16, 1972.

Thanks for the info, I have an old double-lp album with the same picture on the fromt cover, and have always been wondering about that too.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:50 am

Tony Trout wrote:The picture you're referring to is from Jacksonville, FL on April 16, 1972.

Thanks, I had a hunch that it was from 1972. Sadly thought that image was included in the article - and said to be from 1973!! :evil:

Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:39 pm

Doesn't sound like Elvis in 1972 at all.