You can add here the info of Elvis in the media

bing crosby about elvis' death

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:46 pm

hello all

anybody here would be nice to transcript what bing crosby exactly said about elvis' death :?: 8)

Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:25 pm

According my search:

"Elvis will never contribute a damn thing to music."
Bing Crosby, 1956

"The things Elvis has done during his career and

the things he has contributed and created are really

something very important to the music business."

-Bing Crosby, 1973

'What he did was a part of history.'

Bing Crosby (year?)

August 9 - September 6, 1971
Elvis plays an engagement in Las Vegas at the International Hotel, which has been renamed the Las Vegas Hilton International Hotel. He sets another attendance record and tops himself once again.

During the engagement an award is presented to Elvis in his dressing room. It is the Bing Crosby Award from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (the organization that also presents Grammy awards). This award is a special means of recognition from NARAS and is named for its first recipient. The award is not given every year as a rule. It will later be re-named the Lifetime Achievement Award. Elvis is 36 years old.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:09 pm

People initially hating or being highly dubious of Elvis, but then coming round to his appeal (on either a personal or musical level - if not both), are an essential part of the "Elvis Story". I've lost count of the number of times I've read of this happening. Frank Sinatra and Leiber and Stoller are significant examples. I think Ed Sullivan is another. But it doesn't stop there: this applies to many non-famous people, too. I remember reading about a college principal who doubted Elvis' sincerity but was bowled over when he finally met him. It's amazing how one person could so profoundly alter the opinions of so many!

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:30 pm

'.. yeah (Andy) Gary, that comment (" Elvis will never contribute a damn thing to music ") your old man said about me, back in '56, well he can shove it back up his ass (arse)!

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

Cryo is right - Elvis won them all over eventually, including "Der Bing."

There's no reason to get fired up about someone who eventually "got" Elvis.