A little bit about you please and your introduction to Elvis

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, drjohncarpenter, Site Mechanic

Topic author
shiatsujake
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

A little bit about you please and your introduction to Elvis

Post by shiatsujake »

Having read so many of your posts,and your interesting, imformative, and expansive replies.I get the impression you are a no nonsense person who does not suffer fools gladly.Which i feel benefits this forum greatly.But what about the real you behind the screen?What is your first memory of Elvis touching your head and your heart ?Hope i am not being to personal.All the best,Jake :)

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: A little bit about you please and your introduction to E

Post by drjohncarpenter »

shiatsujake wrote:Having read so many of your posts,and your interesting, imformative, and expansive replies.I get the impression you are a no nonsense person who does not suffer fools gladly.Which i feel benefits this forum greatly.But what about the real you behind the screen?What is your first memory of Elvis touching your head and your heart ?Hope i am not being to personal.All the best,Jake :)
The earliest memories are seeing silly musicals on the "3:30 movie" when home sick as a kid. Elvis was cool, though.

Then a little later hearing a wonderful song on the radio, "Burning Love." All my buddies liked it.

Then I recall watching a big-time TV appearance shortly after that radio song, where Elvis looked to me and my friends like a singing Evel Knievel.

Evel Knievel_circa 1973.jpg
Then that summer, I hung with a friend who played only the rock songs on the "Aloha" album. I think he even bought it himself, something I had never done. And I remember mom buying a two-record set of greatest hits off a TV ad around the same time. My sisters and I played it on the family's all-in-one stereo. Almost every song was awesome. It shared time with the "American Graffiti" double LP that my older sister bought.

That's probably the beginning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
shiatsujake
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by shiatsujake »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
shiatsujake wrote:Having read so many of your posts,and your interesting, imformative, and expansive replies.I get the impression you are a no nonsense person who does not suffer fools gladly.Which i feel benefits this forum greatly.But what about the real you behind the screen?What is your first memory of Elvis touching your head and your heart ?Hope i am not being to personal.All the best,Jake :)
The earliest memories are seeing silly musicals on the "3:30 movie" when home sick as a kid. Elvis was cool, though.

Then a little later hearing a wonderful song on the radio, "Burning Love." All my buddies liked it.

Then I recall watching a big-time TV appearance shortly after that radio song, where Elvis looked to me and my friends like a singing Evel Knievel.

Then that summer, I hung with a friend who played only the rock songs on the "Aloha" album. I think he even bought it himself, something I had never done. And I remember mom buying a two-record set of greatest hits off a TV ad around the same time. My sisters and I played it on the family's all-in-one stereo. Almost every song was awesome. It shared time with the "American Graffiti" double LP that my older sister bought.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing that Doc.I remember the two-record set, but the british Arcade release,a gateway release for many at the time.Jake

finley
Registered for: 10 years 4 months

Post by finley »

I was sitting at the kitchen table and Brian Mathews saturday music programme was on,I started to really listen to an incredible voice and asked mum who it was,she said to wait till the song finished and they would name the singer,when he said Elvis Presley my mum couldn't stop laughing and saying "what sort of name is that" I couldn't forget the voice and a week or two later found a picture of Elvis in a Valentine girls magazine,I was smitten,oh by the way I was 10 years old!!!!! my love,enjoyment and respect for Elvis has never altered in all these years,he has meant so much to me and been a great comfort during rough times.Sorry gone on a bit,dont talk about feelings very often,I am 69 next month and made a 300 mile trip to go to 02 to see the exhibiton,loved it so much.xx

RDM
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by RDM »

Wow Doc!
Your Elvis experience mirrors some of my own.
I had grown up loving the movies as a kid in the '60's. I was in 1st grade when I saw the comeback special. My mom and grandmother both bought the TV set. It was my 1st real exposure to some of the early hits. I was already a fan but that 2 record set further sealed the deal. I had the "I Got Lucky" lp before that and wore it out. The TV set took it to a whole other level for me.

Evel was a big deal to me and my friends also.
Great memories!

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Thanks for posting that TV ad Doc!

I remember that very well. :)

I am pretty sure they offered it in 8 track tape format as well.

I just bought this same set on CD!

They added some extra goodies on it too.

I hope you and your Family enjoyed the Holidays my Friend.

Mitch

::rocks

drjohncarpenter

Mitch wrote:Thanks for posting that TV ad Doc!

I remember that very well. :)

I am pretty sure they offered it in 8 track tape format as well.

I just bought this same set on CD!

They added some extra goodies on it too.

I hope you and your Family enjoyed the Holidays my Friend.

Mitch

::rocks
Thank you kindly. Elvis would have been so proud to know he had fans like you. Happy New Year!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

srlogicom
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by srlogicom »

I'll never forget, as a 7 or 8 yr old kid calling that 800# to order that double LP, and a few weeks later, learning the gentle lesson from my parents about what "COD" meant. Being great parents (who passed on to me a love for EP) they weren't angry and didn't punish me; they simply paid for the LP and asked me not to order more things without them first knowing. I still have the LP. Great memories.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

1984 at 16 years old. In order: February 1984- the Romanian TV showed segments of Elvis on Tour movie, when I first saw Ready Teddy I became a fan on a spot. April 1984: I read Jerry Hopkins first book and I was blown away. Summer 0f 1984: I get the chance to see Girl Happy, Viva Las Vegas (by the way the first Elvis song I listed to a tape was C'mon Everybody) and Fun in Acapulco on the cinema and I liked it all. Later in October 1984 I saw the Elvis movie with Kurt Rusell and I liked it also. This was the beginning.

Hobbes
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Hobbes »

drjohncarpenter wrote:And I remember mom buying a two-record set of greatest hits off a TV ad around the same time. My sisters and I played it on the family's all-in-one stereo. Almost every song was awesome. It shared time with the "American Graffiti" double LP that my older sister bought.

OMG words cannot express how much I loved this 2-lp album back in the 70s! Thank you so much for sharing this TV commercial. Fantastic!

Dixieland Rocks
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by Dixieland Rocks »

I believe this double LP was released just after the Colonel made the deal for Elvis’ back catalog. It has me wondering if the deal hadn’t been made would RCA have released it?
Last edited by Dixieland Rocks on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

Dixieland Rocks on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:26 am wrote:I believe this double LP was released just after the Colonel made the deal for Elvis’ back catalog. It’s has me wondering if the deal hadn’t been made would RCA have released it?
Good question. RCA wasted no time in making big bucks on that golden back catalog. The RCA buyout deal was perhaps the most short-sighted, awful agreement that management ever convinced Elvis to go along with. Parker went after "now" money, ignoring or being unaware of the cash that would be made for decades to come from the unparalleled work created between 1956 and 1973.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I found this old post of yours Doc. Your beginning was almost identical to mine, holy crap that’s a strange coincidence, Roustabout, Burning Love, Aloha - tv LP. Wow! I was 9 in 1973, loved Evel too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

kkn
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: A little bit about you please and your introduction to Elvis

Post by kkn »

I was brought up with Elvis-music.Born in 1968 in Denmark with a dad being an Elvis-fan from when EP was first heard in this country. He had a lot of old - now unfortunately lost singles and a lot of LP's. Both movie-soundtracks, original lp's and some compilations. I remember we were in Hamburg, Germany because of his job when EP died, and he came home to our rented flat, pale white in his face, carrying a lot of German news papers stating "Elvis ist tot". He was shocked. Later I persuaded him to buy the Silver Box and EIC in the taxfree shop at Greenland airbas Sdr. Stromfjord in late 1980

But before that I bought the U.S. Male Camden album for my pocket savings. Cannot remember when that came out, but mid-70'ies i guess?

So Elvis and his music has been a part of my musical life as long as I remember. Personally I have collected outtakes, original albums (lp and cd) bootleg concerts and read lots and lots of books and articles, and I have produced a few articles and "lectures" on Elvis.

kkn
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by kkn »

I was brought up with Elvis-music.Born in 1968 in Denmark with a dad being an Elvis-fan from when EP was first heard in this country. He had a lot of old - now unfortunately lost singles and a lot of LP's. Both movie-soundtracks, original lp's and some compilations. I remember we were in Hamburg, Germany because of his job when EP died, and he came home to our rented flat, pale white in his face, carrying a lot of German news papers stating "Elvis ist tot". He was shocked. Later I persuaded him to buy the Silver Box and EIC in the taxfree shop at Greenland airbas Sdr. Stromfjord in late 1980

But before that I bought the U.S. Male Camden album for my pocket savings. Cannot remember when that came out, but mid-70'ies i guess?

So Elvis and his music has been a part of my musical life as long as I remember. Personally I have collected outtakes, original albums (lp and cd) bootleg concerts and read lots and lots of books and articles, and I have produced a few articles and "lectures" on Elvis.

lovin' EP
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by lovin' EP »

I first was introduced to Elvis when I went to the theater to see his early movies. He was the most gorgeous guy I had ever seen (I was nine years old). As the years went by, I became more fascinated with Elvis and his music. He was just magical. I went to see "That's the Way It Is" at the theater and was just overcome with love for EP. I vowed then and there that I was going to Vegas to see him, and I did!! From 1971 to 1977 I saw EP in concert on tour and in Vegas about 45 times. What a fabulous time in my life that I will always treasure. Such a tragic loss to the whole world when we lost him.

Elvisly,

Linda

Thank you Elvis for all the joy you brought (and continue to bring) to my life

Colinc1968
Registered for: 5 years

Post by Colinc1968 »

I first heard Elvis in 1978 when I was 10yrs old singing White Christmas....I was round my mates house and his mum was playing the Camden release Elvis Christmas album...I went home asked for it and still have it to this day and still play it every Xmas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heitorcrespo92
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by heitorcrespo92 »

Cool topic!

My mom is a huge fan since she was 11 years old, we live in Brazil so we didn't get the same releases. My mom didn't know what Elvis' talking voice sounded like till she was in her 20s, all movies were overdubbed in Portuguese. When she got pregnant, she used to put earphones around her belly and played Elvis music for me, so since day 1 I was exposed to Elvis, and really there hasn't been a day that we don't have Elvis on.

I'm super blessed to be able to "pay her back" for introducing me to Elvis, somehow in this crazy life I got the opportunity to perform with so many of the original musicians, and I always try to take her with me on the tour or if it's a special show that they come with us!