Hey Doc! A probably dumb question...

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, drjohncarpenter, Site Mechanic

Topic author
RDM
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Hey Doc! A probably dumb question...

Post by RDM »

This has probably been discussed a million times but I'd still like your take on it.
I was going through my Elvis book and magazine collection and was reminded of something I've always wondered about.
Do you think that Elvis was possibly the most photographed celebrity ever?
I don't think anyone else has had nearly the number of books and magazines devoted solely to them as he has. That doesn't even begin to account for the thousands of newspaper articles, magazines and books that featured photos and or stories of him in general.
Even though I have a very large collection of Elvis books and magazines I constantly come across pics I haven't seen. There seems to be an unending supply of candid shots.

Obviously I am Elvis biased but I honestly can't think of anyone that would match him and that is accounting for lots of famous folks.
With the possible exception of a few American presidents I can think of no one off hand that matches the number of biographies done on Elvis.

I hope this doesn't come across as juvenile or simple minded but I am genuinely curious about this.

Stevenson
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Hey Doc! A probably dumb question...

Post by Stevenson »

RDM wrote:This has probably been discussed a million times but I'd still like your take on it.
I was going through my Elvis book and magazine collection and was reminded of something I've always wondered about.
I don't think anyone else has had nearly the number of books and magazines devoted solely to them as he has.
That doesn't even begin to account for the thousands of newspaper articles, magazines and books that featured photos and or stories of him in general.
Even though I have a very large collection of Elvis books and magazines I constantly come across pics I haven't seen. There seems to be an unending supply of candid shots.

Obviously I am Elvis biased but I honestly can't think of anyone that would match him and that is accounting for lots of famous folks.
With the possible exception of a few American presidents I can think of no one off hand that matches the number of biographies done on Elvis.

I hope this doesn't come across as juvenile or simple minded but I am genuinely curious about this.

...not to mention multiple cover arts for re-releases, re-hashes of old material...
I'm no Elvis scholar, but I think you're right! ;)

When your heart gets restless - time to move along,
When your heart gets weary - time to sing a song,
But when a dream is calling you
There's just one thing that you can do...

Follow That Dream (1961)

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

RDM wrote:This has probably been discussed a million times but I'd still like your take on it.
I don't think anyone else has had nearly the number of books and magazines devoted solely to them as he has. That doesn't even begin to account for the thousands of newspaper articles, magazines and books that featured photos and or stories of him in general.

You need to define "celebrity." Are you speaking of pop singers? Rock 'n' roll artists? Anyone who ever made a record or movie or TV appearance? Figures of history?

As far as photographs, media has expanded so greatly that I'm sure many of our current celebrities have been photographed millions of times by fans, media, paparazzi, friends and relatives. Whoever sits at the top of that pile probably needs to have been in the limelight most of their lives and lived for a very long time. This would lean more towards someone leading an organization or country.

There have been hundreds of books devoted to Presley, but he doesn't come close to those written about Jesus Christ, George Washington, Adolf Hitler, Napoleon, John F. Kennedy, or Abraham Lincoln, to name just a half-dozen.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
RDM
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by RDM »

You need to define "celebrity." Are you speaking of pop singers? Rock 'n' roll artists? Anyone who ever made a record or movie or TV appearance? Figures of history?
I was mainly thinking about pop and rock singers. I can't think of any off hand that have had the number of books and magazines devoted solely to them that he has.

There have been hundreds of books devoted to Presley, but he doesn't come close to those written about Jesus Christ, George Washington, Adolf Hitler, Napoleon, John F. Kennedy, or Abraham Lincoln, to name just a half-dozen.
I figured that bios of political and religious figures would be in high numbers. I have a bibliography from 2001 that lists around 1700 Elvis books (many more since then) which includes bios, photo books, discographies etc. At least among pop stars he should have one of the highest counts I would think.

As far as photographs, media has expanded so greatly that I'm sure many of our current celebrities have been photographed millions of times by fans, media, paparazzi, friends and relatives.
Like I said, probably a dumb question or observation on my part. There just seems to be a lot of material on Elvis compared to others. New Elvis books and magazines are still coming out every year with no end in sight.

O.K, back to my cave. There is always a slim chance that I'll make an intelligent post/point one day even considering all evidence to the contrary. Keep hope alive! :D

drjohncarpenter

RDM wrote:
I was mainly thinking about pop and rock singers. I can't think of any off hand that have had the number of books and magazines devoted solely to them that he has.

I figured that bios of political and religious figures would be in high numbers. I have a bibliography from 2001 that lists around 1700 Elvis books (many more since then) which includes bios, photo books, discographies etc. At least among pop stars he should have one of the highest counts I would think.

As far as photographs, media has expanded so greatly that I'm sure many of our current celebrities have been photographed millions of times by fans, media, paparazzi, friends and relatives.
Like I said, probably a dumb question or observation on my part. There just seems to be a lot of material on Elvis compared to others. New Elvis books and magazines are still coming out every year with no end in sight.

O.K, back to my cave. There is always a slim chance that I'll make an intelligent post/point one day even considering all evidence to the contrary. Keep hope alive! :D
Your post and topic were just fine. Please post more often, member input is key to keeping FECC #1!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

promiseland
Registered for: 13 years

Post by promiseland »

That was actually a good topic, but Doc is correct, especially with todays technology many stars who are on top will get multitudes of photos quickly.

Bodie
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Bodie »

Interesting topic.

These days with mobile phones, not just celebs but anyone hasn't really got a private life outside their home.

Any incident happens and most people get their phones out to film it.

Every celeb must get this wherever they go, some love the attention but some understandably hate it.

Id love to be mega rich but would hate to be in the spotlight.

drjohncarpenter

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love.
Agreed but it sure takes the sting out of being poor.

drjohncarpenter

Bodie wrote:
They call me poor boy, poor boy, poor boy, poor boy
But I ain't lonesome, and I ain't blue

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Bodie wrote:

drjohncarpenter

Bodie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
Who needs money?

I do.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

promiseland
Registered for: 13 years

Post by promiseland »

"Who Cares For Fame And Fortune They're Only Passing Things..."

drjohncarpenter

promiseland wrote:"Who Cares For Fame And Fortune They're Only Passing Things..."
True, but I wouldn't mind having them for a weekend or three. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

shiatsujake
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by shiatsujake »

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being,not having".HENRY MILLER. "Decent clothes....a car,but whats it all about?" MICHAEL CAINE in Alfie. :)