Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 pm

I would be happy if Sony or FTD released Satisfied, of which all paperwork indicated RCA received it.
RCA was sloppy with tapes, Sam Phillips was sloppy with tapes.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 pm

ekenee wrote:
Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:
ekenee wrote:Quote: (f) DJC's research indicates that Tiger Man was taped at Sun in July/August 1954.

And what research would that be?
This is all speculation.
We all knew about Elvis' cryptic remarks before.
Again, it is ALL speculation based on remarks made by Elvis.

If there is anything more that the doctor has found out, please highlite it for me.

I am going to "trust the Doc" on his statement until the Sun Book is published.

When that book comes out, I hope you and I, as well as a lot of other Elvis fans, get a lot of answers to our questions. I also hope that the book gives us new questions to ponder about Elvis' Sun career.
(Goodness knows, we need something new to discuss on the message boards!)

At this time, the only thing upon which one can base assumptions about recording sessions are the surviving tapes themselves.

As much as I would love to have the opportunity to see/touch/hear those reels, I will probably never have the chance to do so.

If Ernst provides commentary on the surviving Sun session tapes, much as he did for many of the RCA sessions for A Life In Music, I will consider that the final word on these tapes. As I stated earlier, perhaps there is a fragment of "Tiger Man" on a tape that would support a hypothesis such as that DJC has advanced in this thread.

ekenee, I hope you and I (and all other interested Elvis fans) are rewarded for our patience (and the expense of the book) with a significant amount of previously unheard audio, previously unseen photos, and previously unknown facts with the Sun Project.

Right now, I am just waiting to see the Sun rise!

Again, I am still unsure of what statement you are trusting the doc with?

Again, show me what new information the doc brought to this topic.

Elvis made the statements, not the doc. OK.

This mystery is not new, and its not solved.

I am trusting the following assertion made by Dr. John Carpenter:

Now, the night in 1968 when Elvis roared through Rufus Thomas' "Tiger Man" in front of NBC-TV's cameras was no mere fluke. Presley was dipping into his own personal memories of the Thomas' wonderful 1953 Sun single, and the sound HE created at 706 Union with producer Sam Phillips, and musicians Scotty Moore and Bill Black a year later.

Yes, research makes clear that Elvis DID tape a version of "Tiger Man" at Sun Studios, in July or August of 1954.

I believe that the forthcoming book on Elvis' Sun years, as well as a possible audio element, will back up that assertion.

ekenee wrote:Legend has it that Sam recorded over lots of material.

Perhaps Tiger man is only one of several songs that

were candidates for his second record.

Uncle Penn??
and others.

I don't doubt for a second that Tiger man was put on tape.

And it perhaps was handed over to RCA in 1955 and they then lost it or destroyed it.

Remember Steve sholes wrote on one tape box, "That's all right" , and 2 other selections".

If Ernst can figure out what these selections are, that will be a revelation in his book.

I think you and I are saying the same thing here. So I am also trusting ekenee!

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:40 pm

promiseland wrote:Doc I do believe you are correct that Elvis did this song with Scotty and Bill in '54/'55 as with 14 pages of interest from this topic.

Thank you.

luckyjackson1 wrote:Elvis also said during the 68 Comeback Special that "the very first thing" he recorded was "That's All Right" - another misrememberance of course.

No, it's not.

What Elvis is quite correctly saying is that the song was his first available recording.

If you review the previous pages of this topic, it has been clearly established that:

- When he cared, Elvis' memory was like an elephant's (e.g. talking to June Juanico in 1969)
- Stage comments were quite accurate when recounting something important to him (e.g. 1969 monologues)
- His introductions of "Tiger Man" in mid-August 1970 were consistently delivered, and pointed

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:45 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:I would be happy if Sony or FTD released Satisfied, of which all paperwork indicated RCA received it.
RCA was sloppy with tapes, Sam Phillips was sloppy with tapes.

I think all of us sun fans would love satisfied to be discovered! its probably in some other artists tape box waiting to see the light of day? But there's an air of mystery surrounding the Tigerman, with Elvis stating it was his second record but everybody who was around at that time unable to recall him covering the song. Actually i would personally love uncle penn to be discovered!

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:50 pm

Daryl wrote:With regard to this whole matter of whether or not Elvis recorded "Tiger Man," I think if I were Ernst or anybody else looking to track down a recording of it, the very first people I would look towards seeing if it was still in their possession would of course be Sam Phillips' or Marion Keisker's families. After that, the very next person would be the family of Dewey Phillips. Why, you may ask? We all know that after Sam recorded Elvis' "That's All Right," he took a copy to DJ Dewey Phillips to have him play on his radio program. So what is to say that Sam did the exact same thing, when trying to come up with a follow-up record. To me that seems the most logical route of locating a recording of Elvis singing "Tiger Man" from 1954. Beyond that, the only other logical people who might have received a copy of Elvis singing "Tiger Man" in 1954 would be fellow Sun labelmate Rufus Thomas or songwriter Joe Hill Louis.

Also, this speaks to Doc's original post about "Tiger Man." I don't know if it is simply a coincidence or not. It seems to me that Elvis began introducing "Tiger Man" as his second record during the August, 1970 engagement around the same time that Elvis created the Sun inflected medley of "Blue Suede Shoes / Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On." I don't know if this has any bearing on the actual topic at hand. It just makes me wonder if someone came to visit Elvis in Las Vegas around that time that made Elvis reflect upon the Sun catalog.

RonBaker2003 wrote:Perhaps he had a visitor from the early days while he was rehearsing the 68 Comeback Special who played the acetate for him and jogged his memory. The memory had to come from somewhere.

Indeed, I specifically mentioned this as a certainty earlier in this topic.

Someone spurred Presley's memory because, of the known recordings of "Tiger Man" in August 1970, only three are done in a medley with "Mystery Train" and nine are delivered in stand-alone fashion with a serious introduction. And the medleys were delivered in the first week. Who visited the second week?

It was hoped we could hear Elvis introduce someone from the era during these mid-month performances (Charles Underwood, Sam or Knox Phillips, Rufus Thomas, Marion Keisker), but nothing concrete came up in review.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:59 pm

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:I am trusting the following assertion made by Dr. John Carpenter:

Now, the night in 1968 when Elvis roared through Rufus Thomas' "Tiger Man" in front of NBC-TV's cameras was no mere fluke. Presley was dipping into his own personal memories of the Thomas' wonderful 1953 Sun single, and the sound HE created at 706 Union with producer Sam Phillips, and musicians Scotty Moore and Bill Black a year later.

Yes, research makes clear that Elvis DID tape a version of "Tiger Man" at Sun Studios, in July or August of 1954.

I believe that the forthcoming book on Elvis' Sun years, as well as a possible audio element, will back up that assertion.

Although the book project will not provide that answer, I deeply appreciate your faith in my belief, skillful input here, and implicit acknowledgement of the hours I spent researching this topic. Obviously, the new CD release proves I have not forgotten about how finding this 1954 performance is of great significance.

If "Tiger Man" still exists, it will very likely be on an acetate. Could it be in the Graceland archives? Or in the hands of an über-collector? My goal is that it surfaces before we are no longer here.

One additional point: that some can dismiss my personal investment as 'not new' is a slap in the face to the effort seen here, and to the tremendous enjoyment this subject has provided for all fans of Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Oh well. Onward!

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:I am trusting the following assertion made by Dr. John Carpenter:

Although the book project will not provide that answer, I deeply appreciate your faith in my belief, skillful input here, and implicit acknowledgement of the hours I spent researching this topic. Obviously, the new CD release proves I have not forgotten about how finding this 1954 performance is of great significance.

If "Tiger Man" still exists, it will very likely be on an acetate. Could it be in the Graceland archives? Or in the hands of an über-collector? My goal is that it surfaces before we are no longer here.

One additional point: that some can dismiss my personal investment as 'not new' is a slap in the face to the effort seen here, and to the tremendous enjoyment this subject has provided for all fans of Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Oh well. Onward!

Hold on doctor, before you break down.
You are the first one to post that information that is on this forum.

But long before the internet there was still information out there.

I do sometimes forget that many on this forum are alot younger than me.

I have collected Elvis material a long time.

And many on here didn't collect all those audience recorded cassette tapes.
Anyone hearing those knew about this long ago.
And someone, in an article that I can't locate, did bring up the cryptic messages Elvis said
during these shows.
It may have been Ernst around 7-8 years ago in Elvis the man and his music, but I can't remember to be exact.

I realize that performing "Tiger man" in the 1968 site down show was no fluke.

He even did it a few days earlier at one of the rehearsals.

He was remembering the good ole days.

He even did a little bit of "Blue moon", "Blue moon of kentucky", and another Sun song,
"when it rains, it really pours". None of those made the show or official taping.
He even did a little of "young love".

So, we are literally back to square one.
Going by Elvis' comments, his second record was going to be "Tiger man".
Ok, this is what you call un-corroborated evidence.

For the record i believe Elvis.

Ok, now, This information has been around since 1970.
We had to wait til they invented the internet, then,
We had to wait til 2011 for the google king to post it on the internet.

Thanks?

Happy now?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 am

Doc's input has been invaluable this thread. I personally do not care how somebody gets their info. The fact the he or somebody, takes the time to research it, means more to me. As someone who doesn't have the time, ( or patience ) for that matter to contribute as much as others, I appreciate the knowledge and efforts of many on this phenomenal site. Having done Tiger Man in the 68 special, it was still fresh in Elvis' mind and thus he mentioned it several, ( not once ) times in the summer of 1970. That's something that he wouldn't have thrown out, had it not been accurate, imo. Elvis Presley cut this record, no doubt in my mind.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 am

""""""""""""""""""""""Although the book project will not provide that answer''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

That comment from The Doc's previous post can only mean that after all the exhaustive work done by Ernst he found no proof whatsoever.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 am

KiwiAlan wrote:""""""""""""""""""""""Although the book project will not provide that answer''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

That comment from The Doc's previous post can only mean that after all the exhaustive work done by Ernst he found no proof whatsoever.

No, it means Ernst's priorities and focus were not devoted to tracking down the province of a Sun recording.

In fact, until this topic he was unaware of the multiple and specific times Elvis made his unique introduction of "Tiger Man." And he, too, agrees with the presumption that it was cut at Sun in 1954.

Again, please stop trying to derail this topic, thank you.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:46 am

Joe Car wrote:Doc's input has been invaluable this thread. I personally do not care how somebody gets their info. The fact the he or somebody, takes the time to research it, means more to me. As someone who doesn't have the time, ( or patience ) for that matter to contribute as much as others, I appreciate the knowledge and efforts of many on this phenomenal site. Having done Tiger Man in the 68 special, it was still fresh in Elvis' mind and thus he mentioned it several, ( not once ) times in the summer of 1970. That's something that he wouldn't have thrown out, had it not been accurate, imo. Elvis Presley cut this record, no doubt in my mind.

Thank you, Joe.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:""""""""""""""""""""""Although the book project will not provide that answer''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

No, it means Ernst's priorities and focus were not devoted to tracking down the province of a Sun recording.

In fact, until this topic he was unaware of the multiple and specific times Elvis made his unique introduction of "Tiger Man." And he, too, agrees with the presumption that it was cut at Sun in 1954.

So if I don't agree with your assumptions then I am derailing.

I am surprised that Ernst does not have the inclination to focus on this -- considering the sinifcance and importance of this "mystery".

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

No one's derailing anything.
Get a grip.
I guess Ernst was NOT one to collect audience recorded cassette tapes in the 70's and 80's.
If he had done this, he would have known this.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:13 am

From what is written in this thread it is impossible to conclude that it is likely that Elvis recorded "Tiger Man" at SUN for a possible record release. I don't say that he did not record it at SUN, it's the logic and presentation of evidences that I say do not prove anything. One need to deal with this on two levels to discuss a theme like this. One is the logic and the proving that he recorded the song. The other is the possibility of such a recording.

Personally I feel that the last evidence points in the opposite direction of proving that he recorded it. The problem with the whole logic in this thread is that all minor indications are used as more important than the indications that points against the possibility of a recording sessions resulting in a master of "Tiger Man".

In the last evidence there's no reference at all to a recording session. Actually it hints more to a possibility that he might have sung it live on stage. The reason for this is that he said few heard it as he was not well-known. Those few must have heard it live, because we know for sure that there was never a record released. And if it was done in the studio and not released, very few would have heard it regardless of his fame. One can use this last evidence as one like and the conclusion will differ, but this last evidence cannot be used as evidence of a recording session.

So the mystery is far from solved, actually the last evidence points more in the direction of live performances than a studio recording. But then again, Elvis was never accurate on stage refering to his previous work. Actually most of his statements on stage are rather inaccurate and as of that needs to be used with much care.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:33 am

Jarle Jensen wrote:From what is written in this thread it is impossible to conclude that it is likely that Elvis recorded "Tiger Man" at SUN for a possible record release ... most of his statements on stage are rather inaccurate and as of that needs to be used with much care.

Hi Jarle, thanks so much for your input.

Just curious: what topic did you read?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 am

Jarle Jensen wrote:From what is written in this thread it is impossible to conclude that it is likely that Elvis recorded "Tiger Man" at SUN for a possible record release. I don't say that he did not record it at SUN, it's the logic and presentation of evidences that I say do not prove anything. One need to deal with this on two levels to discuss a theme like this. One is the logic and the proving that he recorded the song. The other is the possibility of such a recording.

Personally I feel that the last evidence points in the opposite direction of proving that he recorded it. The problem with the whole logic in this thread is that all minor indications are used as more important than the indications that points against the possibility of a recording sessions resulting in a master of "Tiger Man".

In the last evidence there's no reference at all to a recording session. Actually it hints more to a possibility that he might have sung it live on stage. The reason for this is that he said few heard it as he was not well-known. Those few must have heard it live, because we know for sure that there was never a record released. And if it was done in the studio and not released, very few would have heard it regardless of his fame. One can use this last evidence as one like and the conclusion will differ, but this last evidence cannot be used as evidence of a recording session.

So the mystery is far from solved, actually the last evidence points more in the direction of live performances than a studio recording. But then again, Elvis was never accurate on stage refering to his previous work. Actually most of his statements on stage are rather inaccurate and as of that needs to be used with much care.

Sort agreeing with you, but if you accept that it was done live in 1954, you must accept the fact that
a studio version was done as well.

Put it into context.

When Elvis in 1976 says, "you want to hear my latest record Hurt", he doesn't put a 45 on a record player and
play the actual record for the audience, he sings it.

So, in 1970, he says that this was his second record, but not too many people got to hear it, he means, he sang his upcoming new song live a few times, knowing he recorded it, and assuming it would be released, but it never came out.

This happened also with "fools hall of fame" in 1957.
He announced that it was his next single.

So, not too many people got to hear it, ie.his latest record, other than those few who attended those shows
where he sang 'Tiger man' live.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:57 am

Another point to ponder, was Moore playing from memory whilst playing acoustic lead on the Tiger Man jam of June 25, 1968 [heard unedited on the Burbank '68 FTD]?
Whilst a little hesitant in places, it nonetheless still sounds very well structured for an off the cuff rendition.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:06 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Another point to ponder, was Moore playing from memory whilst playing acoustic lead on the Tiger Man jam of June 25, 1968 [heard unedited on the Burbank '68 FTD]?
Whilst a little hesitant in places, it nonetheless still sounds very well structured for an off the cuff rendition.

Indeed, it does sound cohesive. Call it another piece of the puzzle.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:35 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Another point to ponder, was Moore playing from memory whilst playing acoustic lead on the Tiger Man jam of June 25, 1968 [heard unedited on the Burbank '68 FTD]?

Yes, indeed. A good place to go for "clues." At the break, Elvis first starts singing a sort of lead line, but Scotty kinda stops him and starts doing something a bit more interesting, a little twangy, you might say. Sounds great. More importantly, Elvis laughs in seeming recognition (though we're not mind-readers-time travellers), and then goes "yeah!" And "right, right." Finally, "yeah, baby." All at Scotty's "interruption" with the acoustic. Scotty's rockabilly take on it is really not heard in any other records of this song, as far as I know.

And Elvis is very comfortable playing the electric motif of this song; seems "as natural as breathing," to paraphrase Sam Phillips. He doesn't even want to stop.

Wonderful sleuthing, elvisalisellers! Thanks for sharing what we might have overlooked. (Or, in many cases, did overlook.)

rjm

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:23 am

I would agree...Elvis was likely singing what he could remember of Scotty's lead line before Scotty actually played a more accurate version of that 14 year old guitar solo. This may be the best thread on here...many thanks to Doc and all contributors. I know there are many tantalizing possibilities of unreleased Elvis materials (69 rehearsals among them...but a Sun era Tiger Man is at the very top of my wish list...the Elvis holy grail if you will.

rjm wrote:

Yes, indeed. A good place to go for "clues." At the break, Elvis first starts singing a sort of lead line, but Scotty kinda stops him and starts doing something a bit more interesting, a little twangy, you might say. Sounds great. More importantly, Elvis laughs in seeming recognition (though we're not mind-readers-time travellers), and then goes "yeah!" And "right, right." Finally, "yeah, baby." All at Scotty's "interruption" with the acoustic. Scotty's rockabilly take on it is really not heard in any other records of this song, as far as I know.

And Elvis is very comfortable playing the electric motif of this song; seems "as natural as breathing," to paraphrase Sam Phillips. He doesn't even want to stop.

Wonderful sleuthing, elvisalisellers! Thanks for sharing what we might have overlooked. (Or, in many cases, did overlook.)

rjm

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 am

I'm with Elvis' recollections and the Doc's thoughts on this.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 am

When Elvis said this i always thought he meant Mystery Train cause he would sing this song aswell, but i'd rather hear that song than Tiger Man not one of my favs.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jarle Jensen wrote:From what is written in this thread it is impossible to conclude that it is likely that Elvis recorded "Tiger Man" at SUN for a possible record release ... most of his statements on stage are rather inaccurate and as of that needs to be used with much care.

Hi Jarle, thanks so much for your input.

Just curious: what topic did you read?

Sarcasm isn't very useful if you want a serious discussion. Read it again and you might understand that I just used your latest "proof" to show that it could be used the way you like. It could just as easy be used as an indication of the song was not recorded. And even if you put all bits together it is still a puzzle with more missing pieces than pieces. To have an opinion of, if the song was recorded or not is actually something different, but to prove is much more complicated.

If this had been math, your report card would have shown an F when refering to the rules for implication, that is really what I am saying. But maybe it is the theorist in me, but I am not convinced at all by this. And trying to explain the theory behind equivalence and implication is way off topic. Yes it is interesting to read and speculate. But that's all it is at the moment, speculations.

All of us that has heard these small snippets of introductions during the years wondered what he really was refering to. But the mystery has not been solved yet, and I did not say that you claimed to have solved it, but the way you write is very biased.

What we can say so far is that Elvis might have, or he might have not recorded it. At the moment both statements might be true, but that doesn't mean that both are just as likely :-)

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:34 pm

I see three possibilities:

1) -> Elvis never sang / rehearsed the song in Sun;

2) -> Elvis jammed the song with Bill and Scotty while in Sun Records but the performance was never caught on tape by Sam Phillips;

3) -> Elvis version of Tigerman was recorded and survived all these years and it is hidden somewhere in this big world.

I want to believe in option number 3 but unfortunately I think the number 2 option is very probable.

And yes, it is known his mind was not so accurate about his early days but in this case, Elvis repeats too many times the story so I guess it is safe to assume he was confident in his words for the public.

But I would love to be surprised. :wink:

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Scotty's playing during the jam was what was to be expected from a well seasoned and talented musician: to go with the flow and quickly find the melody to play (made much easier when you actually know the song). Yes, Scotty knew "Tiger Man", but not necessarily because he had cut it 14 years before. After all, he knew "Baby What You Want Me To Do" and no one is claiming he had previously cut it.