Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:47 am

memfisking wrote:If he had mentioned it throughout the 70's, as it was performed quite a number of times ...

Actually, no.

Elvis did not offer many standalone versions in the 1970s, outside of the ones cited on this topic.

It is further interesting that, at this engagement, Elvis performed the previously-established medley of "Mystery Train" and "Tiger Man" at these shows:

August 10 OS
August 12 MS
August 12 MS
August 14 MS

Then, "Tiger Man" began appearing on its own as early as the August 18 MS, even opening the show with it at the August 19 DS.

The key factor is "Tiger Man" as a singular performance. This, coupled with his very specific introduction, lends great credibility to the idea it was his "second record."

Perhaps someone Presley saw that second week reminded him of the original 1954 effort, a DJ, a Memphis regular, maybe even Sam Phillips himself.

And so he began addressing it on its own.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:46 am

carolynlm wrote:Yes, Rob, he was polite:

Which is sort of Ironic, Carolyn, as Rob is always polite too.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 am

E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T....John !!!

::rocks

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:11 am

KiwiAlan wrote:If Elvis did record it.

Strange that Scotty can't remember it, if it was the second record you think he would.

His memory should be better than Elvis in that his mind had not been subject to drug abuse.

There has been no documentation, no Sam or Marion recollections or Smiley Lewis.

Would be fantastic if it turned up.

8) Will you and others please stop bashing Elvis with all of your constant drug abuse talk!!!!! Have a little respect once in a while,as you and others weren't with Elvis,and you have no idea what was going on with him on a daily basis regarding his health and his life!!!!! Why don't you talk about all of those other innocent wonder kind rock stars and movie stars that were taking drugs just for the enjoyment and the feeling of getting high! 8)
Last edited by ian on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:13 am

8) Thanks a lot for this great post Doc!!!!! 8)
Last edited by ian on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:24 am

ian wrote:

Strange that Scotty can't remember it, if it was the second record you think he would.

His memory should be better than Elvis in that his mind had not been subject to drug abuse.

There has been no documentation, no Sam or Marion recollections or Smiley Lewis.

8) Will you and others stop bashing Elvis with all of your constant drug abuse B.S. talk!!!!! Have a little respect once in a while,as you and others weren't with Elvis,and you have no idea what was going on with him on a daily basis regarding his health and his life!!!!! Why don't you talk about all of those innocent wonder kinds that were buried up over their heads taking recreational drugs just for the fun and feeling of getting high! How about more about Keith Richards falling out of a coconut tree and landing on his head!(I'm glad that he was alright by the way) 8)

So in your alternate use Elvis never took drugs and died of of old age. yeah right!

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:37 am

Excellent post Dr Carpenter! :D

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:18 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
ian wrote:

8) Will you and others stop bashing Elvis with all of your constant drug abuse B.S. talk!!!!! Have a little respect once in a while,as you and others weren't with Elvis,and you have no idea what was going on with him on a daily basis regarding his health and his life!!!!! Why don't you talk about all of those innocent wonder kinds that were buried up over their heads taking recreational drugs just for the fun and feeling of getting high! How about more about Keith Richards falling out of a coconut tree and landing on his head!(I'm glad that he was alright by the way) 8)

So in your alternate use Elvis never took drugs and died of of old age. yeah right!

8) I never walked in Elvis' shoes{Elvis' quote}so I can't stand back and say this and that with so much assuredness and certainty.
I just know that Elvis lived as unique a life and as rags to riches type of mercurial life as any that has ever been!!!!! I just thank God for Elvis and thank Elvis for giving me so much happiness and enjoyment!!!!! I'm not trying to argue with you,I just know that being Elvis was something that must have been overwhelming at times,and yet he took it all,stood tall and gave everything that he had in his body and soul to please his audiences and fans,and I love him for it!!!!! Losing his beloved Mother was devastating for Elvis and being a twin at birth and surviving and Jesse not,must have been something that Elvis wondered about a lot throughout his life also.He had a great life with all of the gifts of being Elvis and thank goodness he was able to just be a regular person and do everyday things like all of us,like playing pick-up football,going to the fair,movies,and taking vacations,and I'm so glad for him that he could enjoy himself!!!!! 8)

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:25 am

Nice post, Doc. There just might be an acetate in someones attic waiting to be found.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:43 am

If he'd only mentioned it once, you might have forgiven him for mixing it up with Mystery Train or something. The fact that he repeats the claim at different shows means that Elvis clearly believed that he had recorded Tiger Man. It's odd, though, that Scotty doesn't remember it. I wonder how it would have compared to the '68 version?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks for that great post Doctor John

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:42 am

I think there is always hope for any new sun material,who would have thought my happiness acetate would have seen the light of day 40 years after it was recorded.I have always been a massive fan of Elvis sun recordings since the early 70s,and when the sun collection came out in 1975(by the way with the best album cover ever?) i thought this is eveything RCA has! Okay even back then there was always talk and hope that maybe uncle penn,night train to Memphis etc.......might show up.but i can never recall any talk regarding when it rains it really pours being a sun recording!so this could have been the same story for aformentioned song if Elvis hyperthetically would have stated this was my second or third record.Thats whats so intruiging about the sun years nothing much was documented,we have to rely on hearsay and memories.My own feelings regarding Tigerman is i think it was recorded and transferred to acetate,as Elvis stated it was a record! to me,that means it was the finished product not a track tryed out or just left on the session reels.Just my own rambling thoughts everyone

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:05 am

Funny how other people have been harshly criticised for bringing up the same topic, while the Doc is praised. Fair enough, you did a good job of laying the info out. But the most logical conclusion is still that Elvis was mistaking "Tiger Man" for "Mystery Train". Go ahead and attack me for even suggesting it. That's what people do on this board.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 am

dannyboy1 wrote:Funny how other people have been harshly criticised for bringing up the same topic, while the Doc is praised. Fair enough, you did a good job of laying the info out. But the most logical conclusion is still that Elvis was mistaking "Tiger Man" for "Mystery Train". Go ahead and attack me for even suggesting it. That's what people do on this board.

:smt005

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:52 am

Elvis was known for being a bit uncertain about the facts and figures of his career so his comments may not necessarily be accurate - but I sure hope they are.
Thanks Doc for stimulating this conversation

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
the full sp wrote:Good topic, nice background information.

Thank you, it took some time to compile.

the full sp wrote:Elvis' own tales of his SUN days were inaccurate during his 1969 monologues ...

Not exactly. Elvis conflated some stories, but the truth is always evident.

the full sp wrote:... if he mentions it multiple times, there's no way he mis-remembers such an incident.

This is my belief, coupled with the fact that he's dead serious each and every time he mentions it.

Ernst would have already issued any tape or acetate of a 1954 "Tiger Man." If it remains to be heard, it will have to come from a private collection, or someone's attic discovery.

Do you believe in the power of prayer?

Mystery not solved, but a great topic on a great song. I am not a believer in the power of prayer but if it helps to get this one I will pray my brains out :wink:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:02 am

dannyboy1 wrote:But the most logical conclusion is still that Elvis was mistaking "Tiger Man" for "Mystery Train".

Given all I've written, it's unclear how you can make such a statement.

Furthermore, "Mystery Train" was taped a year later than Elvis' "second record," it was his fifth record for Sun in August 1955, and made up the B-side of his first national #1 single, "I Forgot To Remember To Forget."

Common sense indicates that "Mystery Train" also got a lot of radio play, and makes his 1970 comment about how "not a lot of people heard it" inapplicable.

---

There are a few more standalone versions of "Tiger Man" known from the summer 1970 engagement:

August 18 MS
August 23 DS
August 24 MS

Does anyone have access to these?
And if so, can they transcribe his introduction of the song?

Ciscoking?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 am

Did Elvis ever make the speech before the Mystery Train/Tiger Man medley or was it only before the standalone?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:21 am

TJ wrote:Did Elvis ever make the speech before the Mystery Train/Tiger Man medley or was it only before the standalone?

Only for the standalone.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:23 am

Although it appears that Elvis was talking seriously about this most of the time , I do think that the comment about "not too many people heard it " is meant in a humerous way and does not refer to the fact that it was a demo that only an elite few had heard at that point. I hope that at one time this was on tape but the fact that Scotty has no recollection of it whatsoever does not look good.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:27 am

sgt bilko wrote:Although it appears that Elvis was talking seriously about this most of the time , I do think that the comment about "not too many people heard it " is meant in a humerous way and does not refer to the fact that it was a demo that only an elite few had heard at that point.
I hope that at one time this was on tape but the fact that Scotty has no recollection of it whatsoever does not look good.

Well, Scotty had no recollection of them doing Harbour Lights and that turned up.........................

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:32 am

sgt bilko wrote:... the comment about "not too many people heard it " is meant in a humerous way ...

Sorry, but no.

One listen to the Real Audio links on page 1 will swiftly disabuse you of that notion.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:Did Elvis ever make the speech before the Mystery Train/Tiger Man medley or was it only before the standalone?

Only for the standalone.

Well that's encouraging. Elvis was prone to making errors with dates and how events unfolded, but it would be quite odd for him to remember recording something that he didn't record.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:50 am

ColinB wrote:
sgt bilko wrote:Although it appears that Elvis was talking seriously about this most of the time , I do think that the comment about "not too many people heard it " is meant in a humerous way and does not refer to the fact that it was a demo that only an elite few had heard at that point.
I hope that at one time this was on tape but the fact that Scotty has no recollection of it whatsoever does not look good.

Well, Scotty had no recollection of them doing Harbour Lights and that turned up.........................

I can't just now remember, what's the name of the song which was recorded in Sun Studio, but it is released anyway. Scotty said that "they never done that song", but you can easily hear Scotty's guitar playing!

I believe that Tiger Man was recorded, but happened to that recording is unclear thing...

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:57 pm

I guess, the song you´re talking of is "How Do You Think I Feel". I remember saying Scotty something like that with the above song! What we´ve heard of this song is nothing but a try out with EP off mike. If there ever had been a regulary master that never has been released during SUN days, Steve Sholes should have put it on EP´s first album. No re-recording would have been necessary. Probably there could have been a few takes, but RCA would have dumped the reels during the clean out end of the fifties/early sixties... But you´ll never know... Maybe...
:roll:
O.S. ::rocks