Billboard 1977 --> Elvis In Concert is #1!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, drjohncarpenter, Site Mechanic

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Billboard 1977 --> Elvis In Concert is #1!

Post by rjm »

It was basically The Sun Belt chart. How do you guess a "country" album such as this?

rjm

elvisalisellers

Post by elvisalisellers »

rjm wrote:

This forum wouldn't be the best of its kind, packed with a reliability and depth of information that is simply unmatched WITHOUT our DOC. He works his fanny off....
In the UK, AUS and NZ fanny means something entirely different to what you may be implying about DJC.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=fanny%20definition&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.urbandictionary.com%2Fdefine.php%3Fterm%3Dfanny&ei=jGa9TvrjL8G5hAfd4s2xBA&usg=AFQjCNGw1Aed51wAG5AyNTYF40NHkhAYcg

Equally, whilst your gushing admiration of DJC and Davide is touching, to single out just two contributors, when there are many great Elvis scholars on this forum is a little off. I guess it all depends on your own personal expectations and on what you yourself consider to be of true worth and skill.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rjm wrote:This forum wouldn't be the best of its kind, packed with a reliability and depth of information that is simply unmatched WITHOUT our DOC. He works his fanny off to give us not only hard info, but often beautiful and great photo and clipping essays {those equalled only by Davide, as he would surely tell you}. This generosity for us committed fans is peerless.
Thank you for the kind words. FECC has a lot of savvy contributors, which is why it is the place to visit for intelligent discussion of the man and his music.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rjm

Post by rjm »

Well of couse, lots of people make great contributions. It was a point about what that individual said that was very unfair. Recently, Doc and I were quite at odds, but if you reach out and explain, usually all is cool. And I made a bad call recently; I realized that you'd better seriously corroborate a serious charge or you hurt yourself and then some. I had my own topic shot. It went the way of old shep. Doc wasn't exactly gentle but I realized what an error in judgement I had made as to what belongs on a board such as this. The whole world needs more than your personal experience. And under what circumstances is something no one else should be even expected to know. Doc may be rough, but it was like saying to me: "what WERE you thinking?" {And thiis is not a hair salon! "Oh Dear," says the stylist back in the seventies, "that is just AWFUL." And the stylist has known the person for years . . .}

If that word of which you speak means something else, I cannot imagine what! Good gosh! I didn' want to say a--. I chose the most mild word. I thought. {You know how they ask for a phone call in the U.K.? My high school English teacher told us and we laughed so much, he had to let the class go early!}

rjm
P.S. You're welcome, John.
P.P.S. Still have no idea what I said in "English."

elvisalisellers

rjm wrote:....Still have no idea what I said in "English."
Easy.... Scroll up and then click on the link I provided.

rjm

Post by rjm »

elvisalisellers wrote:
rjm wrote:....Still have no idea what I said in "English."
Easy.... Scroll up and then click on the link I provided.
I can't. My Kindle has mangled the address. You have to type in manually and I cannot read it.

Which means I can either wait till Monday or try out the two crippled machines that even are alive here

I await The Geek Squad. Had to set the appointment for late next week,but we will soon be off to a family get-together in Delray Beach,Fl. for Thanksgiving and I have much to wrap up. This little thingy is handy and stable. But a bit limited.

Is it THAT bad of a word?

rjm

rjm

Post by rjm »

I went to Google UK. Found it.

OH MY! Not Intended Meaning! I am SO sorry, Doc!
:shock:

rjm

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Not a problem. Your meaning was clear to 99.9% of us.

I never worry about what a member of the lunatic fringe thinks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisalisellers

drjohncarpenter wrote:Not a problem. Your meaning was clear to 99.9% of us.

I never worry about what a member of the lunatic fringe thinks.
When did you become a member?

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by paulsweeney »

We all have our differences, Doc and I included. But his contributions to FECC make it a great forum. His posts are one of the reasons I try to get here everyday.

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by TCB-FAN »

Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life" was only #12, hawg darn it !

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

This is the first time I'm reading this. THANKS so much, DOC!!!! I remember the EIC album, still have all of my original vinal records from that period. Gosh, I still love the sound of vinal!!!!! :D :wink:

rlj

ElvisTheKid
Registered for: 12 years

Post by ElvisTheKid »

Why country? There is nothing county about that release or others. How Great Thou Art? Why not all albums? When did Elvis officially cross-over? And from which song?
Last edited by ElvisTheKid on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ETK

ElvisTheKid

Post by ElvisTheKid »

intelwild wrote:Because some people on here think that you "slaughter" this Forum each and every day.
It's not that he's here to slaugh it, he just wants to dictate it. He tells people what they can and can't post. With that he thinks he can tell people how he feels without restrictions. Reason why, because of the praises he gets for copy and pasting an article off the net. No doubt he is dedicated and contributes pertinent information but it's not all about his ways! I'm reading everyone's praises, wondering why he's the way he is. Anyone else posts that, they'd get a few thanks .

Btw, it's a nice article to see but I not overly impressed! It's the country charts, not the main ones. Thats like being in the men over 40 chart. Or the chart for people with sideburns.
Last edited by ElvisTheKid on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ETK

ElvisTheKid

Post by ElvisTheKid »

::rocks
Last edited by ElvisTheKid on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ETK

rjm

Post by rjm »

ElvisTheKid wrote:Why country? There is nothing county about that release or others. How Great Thou Art? Why not all albums? When did Elvis officially cross over? And from which song?
Well, that was the problem, especially before SoundScan, although even so . . .

With radio play, you know what's on country radio, ok. But with sales, how can you know enough to figure that in? And they figured that in. Sales, I mean. So, as I said, there had to be a lot of geography involved. Elvis was not only selling like crazy in the south, but his albums were stocked wall-to-wall in the wake of his death. For quite a while. I remember RACKS, free-standing racks, at the front of the store when "Elvis Sings For Children, and Grownups, Too!" came out.

This was in Peaches, in Atlanta. So, I guess a much larger percentage of such sales went into the "country" bucket from those sales. But all kinds of stations down south then, played his records after he died, especially. Somehow, Billboard gave preference to "country" for geographical reasons. And not only in terms of who was buying the records, but just based on who he was. Yup.

Now, one could argue that many of his last songs had a country tinge to them, and some of the albums sounded very country. But not all, by any means. "Way Down" doesn't seem country to me. Most of the songs on the EIC album are pop. But he was born in Mississippi, etc. Started out on the Louisiana Hayride, Grand Ole Opry tours . . . they looked at the crowds gathered at Graceland when he died, and thought "hayseeds." They would have claimed objectivity, but no way do I buy that. They drew their own conclusions. That's the danger of so-called "objectivity."

I think things are a bit different today . . . I hope they are. A lot has happened in the interim. First, you had the whole AOR phenomenon, building huge walls. When MTV came along, they were forced to decide if they were going to go along with that, or not. And you had that era. That was after the "Urban Cowboy" craze, which further confused things. Then you had Hip-Hop and new kinds of "country" into the '90s. And then the new media age dawned. YouTube has really stirred the pot, I think. Those easy categorizations are just not so easy anymore.

No one knows where you draw such lines anymore. That's a good thing, I think.

rjm
P.S. -- The "men over 40 chart"? I'll have to see what's doing over on that one! :lol: (The "old people chart" is often considered "Easy Listening." Country nowadays often appeals to the very young. And the topic, which was a "classic topic," you might say, was historical. I still mean every word of it! {c'mon, I'm just messin' with ya, Doc!) And I see TheKid is sewing his oats.

------
Millennial country. I guess a lot of men over 40 really dig this!

Last edited by rjm on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

ElvisTheKid

Post by ElvisTheKid »

RMJ, are you basically saying it's based on country station air-play and not record sales?

ETK

rjm

Post by rjm »

ElvisTheKid wrote:RMJ, are you basically saying it's based on country station air-play and not record sales?
Well, they had to include sales, as that was the way the chart(s) worked -- the main charts. (Although album charts and singles charts were different in that regard.) No, I'm not really necessarily saying that. I'm saying that they didn't have much to go on, especially with an artist like Elvis, so they looked heavily at WHERE records were being stocked, and where they were selling more. It was not an exact science, and how can it ever be with sales? Unless you have collected (Internet-based) data on the buyers, and that really isn't allowed!

As I said back then, the country chart, at least for Elvis and some others, was "The Sun Belt Chart." Radio play entered into it some, but with albums, that should be much less of a consideration. There had to be judgment calls. They knew which chains, and stores were stocking the albums, and where. And that had to be a consideration.

It's hard to judge, for me, what happened up north in the wake of Elvis's death, because I wasn't there. But down south, it was pretty wild in the aftermath. People were buying anything. And I don't think they bothered about what was "country" and what was something else. But Billboard had access to the geography of where the records were selling, and would make a call as to which sales counted where.

Another factor was that the "hot" acts of the moment would have a certain album out at the time; Elvis's records were selling across the board, not just "the latest." It WAS his latest record, but it was competing with all of his others. And it still did amazingly well!

I remember being in a record store, sometime before he died, and "Moody Blue" was out. And it was placed in the "Country" section of the store. And I thought there was a diversity of material on there, and that wasn't fair. A number of the songs were not remotely "country," whatever else you think about them. This was down south, too. But after he died, that really wasn't a consideration. He was moved front and center.

Reminds me of how crowded record stores were in those days . . .

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64