Re: Elvis --> Everybody's Talkin' - Houston, February 25, 19

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Kenneth wrote:Thank you Dr Carpenter for bringing up Elvis most fascinating topic about the Houston gig. As you say, our man was on top of the game in every way in these Houston shows and he is ultra cool in the pressconf. I remember when I got really obsessed getting the best possible generation copies of the audience recordings back in the early 80s. I have bought all the 6 shows about 20 times on cassette back then before I finally got the second generation copies in best possible sound which Maria Davis recorded back then.

He is sharp as a razor in every aspect as a performing artist and sure he is really on fire in the tour shows in Sept/Nov 70, but something is gone, especially how focused he is performing not only the ballads, but also the rock¨n roll songs. He are not rushing the songs in Feb/March 70 which become a little problem later this year in the tours.

Well, it is about time we got a soundboard so we can get a close up view of Elvis live in concert with raw and complete mature vocal in 100% control in every aspect of a singing voice. It was the last time in his live-shows every song were performed with totally commitment.

Thanks Kenneth for a terrific post -- are all 6 of the known audience recordings by Maria Davis?

Thank you so much for a kind respond. Yes, through my instant search for the best possible quality back then I finally got in contact with a person who was in the inner circle around Rex Martin in England. Then I was told that Rex Martin and Maria Davis was in charge of recording many early Vegas- shows. Especially my searching through the fantastic mag Elvis Monthly learned me the names which were responsible for audience recordings. My source said that Maria Davis was in charge of recording the Houston shows and he have bought from both Rex and Maria. The soundquality was very distant, but way better than all the 19 other cassette copies I got from 19 different people over many years in the early 80s :) . I believe that the boot Elvis At The Dome were probably one of the best sounding shows of the 6 shows and therefore were chosen for a release. Maybe too bad sound for a boot production, but what about a 6 cd boxset ot the shows with the Maria Davis recordings and an extra sensational soundboard from one of the shows with a large booklet inside. That would be something...

Take care

Kenneth

Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:15 am

Great post! Great information! Thanks Doc!

Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:23 am

Must have been an amazing time to see Elvis perform. Imagine the atmosphere in dome on those nights!

Thanks Doc!

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Dixieland Rocks wrote:Doc,

I enjoyed it a lot, Thank You.

midnightx wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to hear a February 1970 Houston soundboard?

Rocker wrote:Very nice. Thanks for posting !

Lennart wrote:Thanks Doc, very nice to read.
A soundboard from one of these gigs would be great to hear.

keninlincs wrote:Thanks Doc, an interesting read.

You're most welcome.

These topics take time to craft, and are done with great care and an eye to detail, and all on my own dime. I don't see too many others here doing the same.

You must be ln love with yourself a great deal.. :D

Yes, a quality recording from his Astrodome run would be a MUST-OWN.

Elvis would never again be as totally great as during these Texas shows.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Kenneth wrote:Thank you so much for a kind respond. Yes, through my instant search for the best possible quality back then I finally got in contact with a person who was in the inner circle around Rex Martin in England. Then I was told that Rex Martin and Maria Davis was in charge of recording many early Vegas- shows. Especially my searching through the fantastic mag Elvis Monthly learned me the names which were responsible for audience recordings. My source said that Maria Davis was in charge of recording the Houston shows and he have bought from both Rex and Maria. The sound quality was very distant, but way better than all the 19 other cassette copies I got from 19 different people over many years in the early 80s .

Very interesting, Kenneth! Thanks for the extra information.

Kenneth wrote:I believe that the boot Elvis At The Dome were probably one of the best sounding shows of the 6 shows and therefore were chosen for a release. Maybe too bad sound for a boot production, but what about a 6 cd box set of the shows with the Maria Davis recordings and an extra sensational soundboard from one of the shows with a large booklet inside. That would be something...

As far as a Houston 1970 box set, the audio would have to be very good or better for it to be a success. Maybe one day someone will find higher-quality tapes and do just that.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:51 pm

EPA4368 wrote:Great post! Great information! Thanks Doc!

Val wrote:Must have been an amazing time to see Elvis perform. Imagine the atmosphere in dome on those nights!

Thanks Doc!

Thanks a lot for the kind feedback.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis would never again be as totally great as during these Texas shows.

Agree totally. He was the consummate professional at this point. Every minute detail of his live performances at this point were honed to a tee. His shows tended to get sloppier and less focused in pure musical terms later on in the year - I think he started getting bored; or maybe didn't think it was such a challenge anymore. He also just carried himself so well at this point, the Press Conferene, Elvis just acts like a man totally in control of everything. He has that dynamite charisma about him. A soundboard, especially containing "One Night" with Elvis on Guitar would be a dream come true. Anybody know about any possibility of one existing at all in 2010?

Great topic - very cool pictures you've unearthed too.

Charlie - Your summary is spot-on. And don't forget how much of the set was dominated by contemporary hit material by ELVIS ("Kentucky Rain," "Don't Cry Daddy," "Suspicious Minds," "In The Ghetto").

If you listen to the Houston 1970 audience recordings, you can tell the crowd is most excited by the NEW songs. How often do you think that happened? Yet Elvis never again grouped that quartet of American Sound smashes into one show.

Are there soundboards? I sure hope so, I'm not getting any younger.

Elvis as a live performer was never again so relevant musically. I still wonder at what might have been, I mean I'm of the position that booking him in Vegas for his comeback was a bad idea overall - and then for this gig at Houston, Elvis was better than that in 1970. This should have been the perfect time to play Madison Square Garden or something. Embark on a US then World tour at only the best Venues. The incredible form he was in, that talent just needed to be seen by everyone. Off the back of his American Sound Hits, the World was his oyster. Not "The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo".

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 am

Doc....I gotta admit...you're just too hard to beat.
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:43 am

TCB-FAN wrote:Doc....I gotta admit...you're just to hard to beat.

Hey, I am just another fan. But I really appreciate the compliment!

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

No really...I sometimes feel intimidated by your flawless intelligence.....especially when you correct me on some of my posts....even though I know I'm wrong as hell but I would'nt admit to it. It scares me to death.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:52 am

TCB-FAN wrote:No really...I sometimes feel intimidated by your flawless intelligence.....especially when you correct me on some of my posts....even though I know I'm wrong as hell but I would'nt admit to it. It scares me to death.

Please, never feel that way. We are all fans, and no one is perfect. You keep on rockin'!

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:No really...I sometimes feel intimidated by your flawless intelligence.....especially when you correct me on some of my posts....even though I know I'm wrong as hell but I would'nt admit to it. It scares me to death.

Please, never feel that way. We are all fans, and no one is perfect. You keep on rockin'!

One of your best comments here Johnny Boy, nobody is perfect, correct. Maybe you shouldn't intimidate Elvis fans here the way you do mostly. As you said, we are all fans. Don't always give us the feeling that only your opinion counts, ok ? Thanks in advance...

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:24 am

TCB-FAN wrote:I sometimes feel intimidated by your flawless intelligence.....especially when you correct me on some of my posts....even though I know I'm wrong as hell but I would'nt admit to it. It scares me to death.

Nothing against the doctor, but please say you're joking.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:26 am

Rob wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:I sometimes feel intimidated by your flawless intelligence.....especially when you correct me on some of my posts....even though I know I'm wrong as hell but I would'nt admit to it. It scares me to death.

Nothing against ol' Doc, but please say you're joking.

Yes, he must be joking...flawless intelligence of Dr. Carpenter (Johnny Boy)...hahahaha...must be a joke indeed... :D

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:38 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Maybe it's not a compliment, thought about that ? Guess not, you don't feel it that way I am afraid.. :D

No really...I sometimes feel intimidated by your flawless intelligence.....especially when you correct me on some of my posts....even though I know I'm wrong as hell but I would'nt admit to it. It scares me to death.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:39 am

But back to the topic. I wish there would be a soundboard of the houston shows, would be great...

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:53 am

Rob wrote:

Nothing against the doctor, but please say you're joking.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :smt003 :smt003

Oh....and by the way......is there anybody out there that would care to direct me to the tracklisting of the Complete Masters box set ? I also would like to know if "My Boy" is among the track listings.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:25 am

Nice topic!

drjohncarpenter wrote:One of Elvis' most lively press conferences took place in early 1970, right after he flew in from Las Vegas.

Enjoy!

---

Elvis Presley
Press Conference, Houston, Texas
Wednesday, February 25, 1970

ARRIVAL

Elvis arrives late in the evening at the Houston airport, Wednesday, February 25,1970

PRESS CONFERENCE

(Elvis coughs)

Elvis, how do you like Houston?

Nice. I like it, boy. Quite a lot of space.

What made you decide to come to Texas?

Ah, well (coughs), to tell you the truth, I started out here in Texas. I think the first shows that I worked was down here, around Houston, and all over Texas.

Do you remember what locations you worked here in Texas?

Well, I worked Houston, worked Corpus Christi, every little town here…Longview, man, you name it. I've been there, really.

Elvis, can you give us, I understand with all the big engagements, like Las Vegas and several offers, the reason why you selected the "Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo" this year?

Well, uh…they asked me to do it and I was anxious to do some live appearances, you know, I haven't…It had been a long time since I'd been on stage in front of anybody live and I was anxious to do some live appearances and I thought it would be a good opportunity to get I front of the people.

You ever seen the inside of the Dome before?

Never have. It scares me…(laughs). It's a big place, man, you know.

You've been known in the past as the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Do you think your style has changed much from the days when you were King, or do you consider that still your style?

I think the overall thing has improved. The overall sound has improved, I mean, I think it…it's according to the songs, you know. It's just according to the songs.

Is your stage presentation still the same way it was or have you improved on that?

Well, I just do whatever I feel on stage, you know. I always did that.

Are you going to keep making films?

Hope to. (laughter) Well, I'd like to make better films and…

What do you mean by "better"?

Better than the ones I made before. I mean, playing general types, westerns, or romances… (Coughs) Excuse me. I can't take this fresh air, man. I'm used to the garbage can at the International Hotel, man. (Laughter) If I can't smell some garbage, I don't feel at home, man, I tell you. (Laughter)

Do you have any films in the making right now, or any planned?

No there's nothing as far as I know, is there Colonel? Anything in the working?

Tom Parker: No. I can't commit myself.

An eight-millimeter Walt Disney special we're doing next year, I think…I don't know. There's nothing as far as I know, no.

Tom Parker: We’re shooting some now.

How do you look at your opportunity to go and try and fill up the Astrodome?

Well, it'll be the type of stuff that I do. It's a mixture of things, you know. It's a little rock and a little country and western stuff…

Is that the same thing you do at the International Hotel?

Yeah. It's the same type of thing. A lot of different type of songs, so I just hope I can put on a good show, mainly.

Whatever happened to the Jordanaires?

I can't get them out of Nashville, man. They got stuck in Nashville and they make so much money, and they do so well in Nashville, you can't get them out of there, you know.

Do you have any thoughts about the rising interest in country music?

I think it's fantastic. You see, country music was always a part of the influence on my type of music anyway. It's a combination of country music, gospel, and rhythm and blues all combined, is what it really was. As a child, I was influenced by all that.

Do you consider yourself basically a country music singer then?

Uh..I'd hate to say strictly country because of the fact that I like all different types of music when I was a child, you know. Of course, the Grand Ole Opry was the first thing I ever heard, probably, but I liked the blues and I liked the gospel music, gospel quartets and all that.

Do you ever pull out any of those old records on the Sun label and listen to them at all?

They sound funny, boy (laughing). They got a lot of echo on them, I'll tell you. (Coughs) But that's what I mean, I think the overall sound has improved today.

Well, do you think there's more gimmicks today than there were, say, fifteen years ago?

Well, there's probably more gimmicks, but I think that the engineers have improved and I think that the techniques have improved, the overall recording.

Consideration…further re-evaluation of your career to get you back in front of live audiences again

(No reply)

In other words, you were available to the public only in films for a long period of time.

I think the most important thing is the inspiration that I got from a live audience. I was missing that. I didn't…

Was it rough at the International? Was it a little bit of a strain on you after not being on programs?

It was always terrible. I enjoyed it…I enjoy it. Like, I know I'm going to enjoy it here because it's a live audience and it makes a world of difference.

Let me ask you one thing. What's your father up to these days?

He's around here somewhere…Ask him, I don't know. Daddy, what are you up to?

Tom Parker: Mr. Presley…Mr. Presley? I’d like to introduce Elvis’ father, Mr. Vernon Presley. Could he come right here and sit down? (Laughter) Vernon, don’t sign nothing unless I check it over.

Vernon Presley: I can’t write, I never sign nothin'.

(Coughs) It's this fresh air, man.

Elvis, there's quite an evidence of sartorial splendor. Does this indicate that the…

What? What?

The attire is not one that we're familiar seeing.

It was taken from a karate suit, just a regular karate type outfit. (sirens in background) Are they coming to get me? Is that it? (Laughter)

I mean, does this indicate that with your type dress and everything now that you're changing a little bit of style perhaps, in deference to what you did a few years ago?

I don't know. I think that you'd have to see the show, you know. It's difficult to tell. I don't feel any different, you know. I don't think the dress has that much to do with it, I got the idea from a karate suit 'cause I studied karate for a long time and I had them make up a couple of suits like it.

What do you do for relaxation? You said you studied…

Karate! If you can relax doing this! (Does a few karate chops in the air) I don't know, I read a lot, and go horseback riding, and stuff like that.

Do you still live principally in, ah…

Memphis! About half of the time, about half of the time there and half of the time in L.A.

In that show you have planned for the Dome, do you play any of the old, old songs, some of the first ones?

I'd like to, you know…

Any special ones?

Try out a couple of them, just to see if they work.

How big is your band with you, Elvis?

It’s a big (laughs)...fantastic.

Elvis and his father stand up to greet and thank some "Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo" organization members. One says:

Elvis, let me...let me pin this on you. This is our official badge, and we got another .. didn’t want to put your name ... not that people didn’t know who you were, but we’s afraid they be tryin’ to take it off of you for a souvenir. (Laughter) Pin that on ya. (To Vernon) Mr. Presley, it’s a real pleasure to have you down here with your son.

Vernon Presley: Thank you sir, thank you.

We think we’re gonna set all kinds of records down here.

I hope so. I hope I can give ‘em a good show. That’s the most important thing.

No question about that. You sure will.

If I can give ‘em a good show, I’ll feel like I’ve done something, man.

You will.

What’s the biggest live crowd you’ve ever performed for?

Ah, if I’m not mistaken, it was, ah, in Vancouver, Canada, wasn’t it, Colonel?

Tom Parker: The Cotton Bowl.

In the Cotton Bowl, in Dallas. Ah, it was about, oh, twenty-five thousand, I guess, I think.

Would you like to do more songs about people going from poverty to the land of plenty?

Well, I, I think so, if it’s the right type of song. I think so, if it’s the right type of material.

You’ve already made a couple of songs.

Ah, ah, yes, I have. I did “In The Ghetto” and...

Like “In The Ghetto.”

Ah, I don’t know. I wouldn’t like to do all that type stuff, you know. In other words, I wouldn’t like for everything to be a message, because I think there’s still entertainment, you know, to be considered.

---

It was entertainment, and a whole lot more.

Elvis Presley, "One Night"
Houston Astrodome, Houston, TX
Friday, February 27, 1970 OS

This show was the only one where Presley did "One Night."

All Shook Up
I Got A Woman
Blue Suede Shoes
Don't Cry Daddy
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
One Night
Release Me
Walk A Mile In My Shoes / In The Ghetto
I Cant Stop Loving You
Polk Salad Annie
Introductions of Musicians, Singers
Suspicious Minds
Can't Help Falling In Love
Love Me Tender
(instrumental outro)

Elvis Presley, "Kentucky Rain"
Houston Astrodome, Houston, TX
Saturday, February 28, 1970 ES

All Shook Up
I Got A Woman
Blue Suede Shoes
Don't Cry Daddy
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
Kentucky Rain
Release Me
Walk A Mile In My Shoes / In The Ghetto
I Cant Stop Loving You
Polk Salad Annie
Introductions of Musicians, Singers
Suspicious Minds
Can't Help Falling In Love
Love Me Tender
(instrumental outro)

Good times never seemed so good.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:30 am

James27 wrote:Nice topic!

Thank you, James27.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:37 am

I really, really enjoyed this.
Thanks for such a thorough, entertaining rundown of one of my favorite Elvis moments.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Lover Doll wrote:I really, really enjoyed this.
Thanks for such a thorough, entertaining rundown of one of my favorite Elvis moments.

You are most welcome.

These posts are fun to create and share, especially with all the kind feedback as a reward.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 am

I really appreciate ALL your hard work and ALWAYS look forward to the next one.

THANKS mate!!!

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Do we have any proof that RCA didn't record these shows multi track ?

or any proof to suggest that some pro shot filming was done at any of the 6 shows ?

Lets hope a nice mix was at least done for the soundboard.

Who was the support act for these shows anyone know ?

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:15 pm

This post is an essential piece of history.
The Elvis words and thoughts always be taken into account (not only his music).
Thanks Doc.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis would never again be as totally great as during these Texas shows.

Agree totally. He was the consummate professional at this point. Every minute detail of his live performances at this point were honed to a tee. His shows tended to get sloppier and less focused in pure musical terms later on in the year - I think he started getting bored; or maybe didn't think it was such a challenge anymore. He also just carried himself so well at this point, the Press Conferene, Elvis just acts like a man totally in control of everything. He has that dynamite charisma about him. A soundboard, especially containing "One Night" with Elvis on Guitar would be a dream come true. Anybody know about any possibility of one existing at all in 2010?

Great topic - very cool pictures you've unearthed too.

If you want to get a sense of what Elvis playing guitar on "One Night" would have sounded like in the Houston Astromdome, check out Madison's "Closing Night" cd since he included it in his Feb. 23, 1970 closing show.