Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:19 am

I'll take the wilderness years followed by the stunning comeback special, myself.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:33 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I'll take the wilderness years followed by the stunning comeback special, myself.


Have you never thought that incredible 1961-1962 voice was sqaundered on so many crap songs?! (Before anybody says it, yes there was still some good ones during the period, but it was hardly anything on the level of the previous years ) And this still young man with so much raw talent and energy had so much still to give. Fair enough, my alternate series of events wouldn't have led to the stunning moments we saw in '68 and '69 - but by that point Elvis was forever hindered in as far as he could go. He could never reach those heights of '56 again, yet from 1960 it was still there. Elvis still had the world at his feet. Of course though its completely hypothetical, but I don't think it's in anyway fanciful for the aforementioned if only Elvis would have had the correct guidance/management or bit of self-confidence/awareness himself.

I still listen to "I Need Somebody to Lean On", "Little Sister", "It Hurts Me" etc. and wonder how a man who could go from creating music like this to singing "Earth Boy", "How Would You Like to Be", "(There's) No Room to Rhumba in a Sports Car" etc. in the intervening months.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:39 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:A live album from this era would probably have been one of the greatest live albums of all time.

I concur.

This is why discoveries such as the above are so intriguing.

In 1961-62, Elvis was on the top of his game.


Can you even imagine a comeback tour after he got out the army?! Instead of making GI Blues, Elvis comes home, records the Elvis Is Back! album and subsequent singles and appears on the Frank Sinatra show, then embarks on a nationwide homecoming US tour - showcasing a lot of his new material before a Global tour in 1961 starting with a return to Germany. In between all this Elvis could've still pursued his movie career, making only 1 picture per 1/2 years with the natural artistic progression from "Jailhouse Rock", "King Creole" onwards as Elvis re-defined the role of the Rock n Roll rebel once again.



Elvis could have worked out his schedule to tour a little bit and still make the exact same films.

Most likely if he did play shows that's what would have happened.

if he played concerts it would be in between the films he made.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:42 am

Yes, it is well know that his movies did not take very long to make.

Counting the recording sessions of 3 movies a year, he spent a total of 6 months a year working.

And remember by the time Kissin cousins was made he spent only 3 weeks tops, on that one.

He did have the time to tour, but if RCA would n't sponser the tour, then maybe other sponsers should have been sought.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:45 am

brian wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:A live album from this era would probably have been one of the greatest live albums of all time.

I concur.

This is why discoveries such as the above are so intriguing.

In 1961-62, Elvis was on the top of his game.


Can you even imagine a comeback tour after he got out the army?! Instead of making GI Blues, Elvis comes home, records the Elvis Is Back! album and subsequent singles and appears on the Frank Sinatra show, then embarks on a nationwide homecoming US tour - showcasing a lot of his new material before a Global tour in 1961 starting with a return to Germany. In between all this Elvis could've still pursued his movie career, making only 1 picture per 1/2 years with the natural artistic progression from "Jailhouse Rock", "King Creole" onwards as Elvis re-defined the role of the Rock n Roll rebel once again.



Elvis could have worked out his schedule to tour a little bit and still make the exact same films.

Most likely if he did play shows that's what would have happened.

if he played concerts it would be in between the films he made.


It would have been better though if he'd not made most of the dreadful movies in the 60's. He'd have been better off investing his time actually touring the world to show everybody what the real Elvis Presley was about, than broadcasting these light-entertainment movies globally. The soundtracks are then another entity unto themselves. In fact I don't think I'd be dissapointed if he'd never made any of the 60's movies and made more films in the vain of "King Creole" and "Jailhouse Rock".

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:49 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:I'll take the wilderness years followed by the stunning comeback special, myself.


Have you never thought that incredible 1961-1962 voice was sqaundered on so many crap songs?!


Honestly, no. Some of Elvis' greatest music was made during that era, especially songs such as His Latest Flame, Little Sister, Return To Sender, Can't Help Falling In Love, Follow That Dream, Anything That's Part Of You, There's Always Me, That's Someone You Never Forget, etc. I'm a big fan of the Kid Galahad, Follow That Dream and Blue Hawaii (most of that one) soundtracks, and I think Something For Everybody and Pot Luck are both excellent. Most other recording artists could only dream of laying down work comparable to what Elvis achieved those two years.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:50 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:
brian wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:A live album from this era would probably have been one of the greatest live albums of all time.

I concur.

This is why discoveries such as the above are so intriguing.

In 1961-62, Elvis was on the top of his game.


Can you even imagine a comeback tour after he got out the army?! Instead of making GI Blues, Elvis comes home, records the Elvis Is Back! album and subsequent singles and appears on the Frank Sinatra show, then embarks on a nationwide homecoming US tour - showcasing a lot of his new material before a Global tour in 1961 starting with a return to Germany. In between all this Elvis could've still pursued his movie career, making only 1 picture per 1/2 years with the natural artistic progression from "Jailhouse Rock", "King Creole" onwards as Elvis re-defined the role of the Rock n Roll rebel once again.



Elvis could have worked out his schedule to tour a little bit and still make the exact same films.

Most likely if he did play shows that's what would have happened.

if he played concerts it would be in between the films he made.


It would have been better though if he'd not made most of the dreadful movies in the 60's. He'd have been better off investing his time actually touring the world to show everybody what the real Elvis Presley was about, than broadcasting these light-entertainment movies globally. The soundtracks are then another entity unto themselves. In fact I don't think I'd be dissapointed if he'd never made any of the 60's movies and made more films in the vain of "King Creole" and "Jailhouse Rock".


The reality is Elvis signed contracts to make films and if he did any touring it would have to have been inbetween the movies.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:05 am

Great post, Doc, thank you.

Critics sometimes complain about the formulaic approach of Elvis' 60's work.

Actually the formula worked just fine 1960-61:

a) some kind of live performance in the spring

b) a studio album recorded in the spring

c) a big-budget glossy hollywood movie filmed in the spring for release near Christmas

d) another couple of smaller-scale movies during the year

e) a visit Nashville studios on at least one other occasion during the year to lay down the next single

The problems started when this formula was put aside in 1962.

With that in mind, a January 1962 tour would have been ideal.

If only ...

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:14 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:I'll take the wilderness years followed by the stunning comeback special, myself.


Have you never thought that incredible 1961-1962 voice was sqaundered on so many crap songs?!


Honestly, no. Some of Elvis' greatest music was made during that era, especially songs such as His Latest Flame, Little Sister, Return To Sender, Can't Help Falling In Love, Follow That Dream, Anything That's Part Of You, There's Always Me, That's Someone You Never Forget, etc. I'm a big fan of the Kid Galahad, Follow That Dream and Blue Hawaii (most of that one) soundtracks, and I think Something For Everybody and Pot Luck are both excellent. Most other recording artists could only dream of laying down work comparable to what Elvis achieved those two years.


All valid points but I still think Elvis could've achieved a level greater, something not comparable to what anybody else has ever achieved. It was set-up perfectly from Elvis' return from the army. Those years were still great, I'm not denying the great moments you've listed, but Elvis was frigging Elvis, he had more to give in his mid 20's than just "Pot Luck" and "Blue Hawaii".

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:12 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I'll take the wilderness years followed by the stunning comeback special, myself.

Well, we have to, don't we?

George Smith wrote:Great post, Doc, thank you.

Critics sometimes complain about the formulaic approach of Elvis' 60's work.

Actually the formula worked just fine 1960-61:

a) some kind of live performance in the spring

b) a studio album recorded in the spring

c) a big-budget glossy hollywood movie filmed in the spring for release near Christmas

d) another couple of smaller-scale movies during the year

e) a visit Nashville studios on at least one other occasion during the year to lay down the next single

The problems started when this formula was put aside in 1962.

With that in mind, a January 1962 tour would have been ideal.

If only ...

Nice reply!

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:I'll take the wilderness years followed by the stunning comeback special, myself.

Well, we have to, don't we?


Well, yeah. I just mean, I like the dramatic rise-fall-rise story we have regarding Elvis in the 60's. Of course, I would rather that Elvis would not have recorded Queenie Wahine's Papaya.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:50 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Well, yeah. I just mean, I like the dramatic rise-fall-rise story we have regarding Elvis in the 60's. Of course, I would rather that Elvis would not have recorded Queenie Wahine's Papaya.

And about 65 others...

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:12 am

Apparently not only Joe Botsford from Milwaukee Sentinel got hear of a Presley tour for january 1962 ! Looking like John through my personal archives, I found this small article in the belgian mag "Juke Box" written in french language from october 1961 giving the latest news about Elvis (see below).
Here is the translation of the passage regarding the subject tour :
"Elvis again on tour.
Elvis fans haven't seen their idol on stage since more than 4 years. Only some happy-few could see him early this year.
But Colonel Parker, his manager, is preparing a big tour taking place in january. According to the Colonel, there is still a small chance he will also come to Europe...!"

Like many of you, I think Elvis was supernatural in the early sixties and not to have a professionally recorded concert from that time to listen to is tragic ! Alas and alack !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:26 am

Matthew wrote:An early 60s live album would have been quite something.


Indeed. If recorded and performed well, it could have been stiff competition for James Brown's legendary "Live At The Apollo" from the following year, as one of the greatest live records of all-time. Damnit!

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:54 am

James27 wrote:
Matthew wrote:An early 60s live album would have been quite something.


Indeed. If recorded and performed well, it could have been stiff competition for James Brown's legendary "Live At The Apollo" from the following year, as one of the greatest live records of all-time. Damnit!

Even better, Sam Cooke's Live At The Harlem Square Club, January 1963.


FRENCHGUY wrote:Apparently not only Joe Botsford from Milwaukee Sentinel got hear of a Presley tour for january 1962 ! Looking like John through my personal archives, I found this small article in the belgian mag "Juke Box" written in french language from october 1961 giving the latest news about Elvis (see below).
Here is the translation of the passage regarding the subject tour :
"Elvis again on tour.
Elvis fans haven't seen their idol on stage since more than 4 years. Only some happy-few could see him early this year.
But Colonel Parker, his manager, is preparing a big tour taking place in january. According to the Colonel, there is still a small chance he will also come to Europe...!"

Like many of you, I think Elvis was supernatural in the early sixties and not to have a professionally recorded concert from that time to listen to is tragic ! Alas and alack !

Image

Thank you for this additional confirmation confirming the possibility of a tour.

I just added a beautiful 1962 image to the original post on page 1 -- check it out!

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Well yes, but that one wasn't released (sadly) until many years after hid death, so it didn't exist back then in the mind of the record buying public. The live album that was released instead by Cooke shows him as a mellow voiced crooner for the most part, civilzed and singing to the upper class, not as the best soul screamer (and one of the best gospel singers) of all times which he was. Come to think of it, the man could handle almost any genre with class including pop, blues, jazz as well.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
James27 wrote:
Matthew wrote:An early 60s live album would have been quite something.


Indeed. If recorded and performed well, it could have been stiff competition for James Brown's legendary "Live At The Apollo" from the following year, as one of the greatest live records of all-time. Damnit!

Even better, Sam Cooke's Live At The Harlem Square Club, January 1963.


FRENCHGUY wrote:Apparently not only Joe Botsford from Milwaukee Sentinel got hear of a Presley tour for january 1962 ! Looking like John through my personal archives, I found this small article in the belgian mag "Juke Box" written in french language from october 1961 giving the latest news about Elvis (see below).
Here is the translation of the passage regarding the subject tour :
"Elvis again on tour.
Elvis fans haven't seen their idol on stage since more than 4 years. Only some happy-few could see him early this year.
But Colonel Parker, his manager, is preparing a big tour taking place in january. According to the Colonel, there is still a small chance he will also come to Europe...!"

Like many of you, I think Elvis was supernatural in the early sixties and not to have a professionally recorded concert from that time to listen to is tragic ! Alas and alack !

Image

Thank you for this additional confirmation confirming the possibility of a tour.

I just added a beautiful 1962 image to the original post on page 1 -- check it out!

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:50 am

James27 wrote:Well yes, but that one wasn't released (sadly) until many years after hid death, so it didn't exist back then in the mind of the record buying public.

That's the advantage of living in 2010.

We may imagine the 1963 Cooke album existed then in exactly the same way we dream of a live release in that era from Elvis on tour in 1962.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:36 pm

True!

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:33 am

Two more for the list:

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star-Club, Hamburg (1964)
Beatles - Live at the Hollywood Bowl! (1964, 1965)

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Two more for the list:

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star-Club, Hamburg (1964)

Now, that is one bad-ass album.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Two more for the list:

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star-Club, Hamburg (1964)
Beatles - Live at the Hollywood Bowl! (1964, 1965)


Agreed for the first one, one of my all-time live favorites, but the second one.. I don't think so. It's an exciting album -I happen to have a fantastic Russian-made 2-cd bootleg of both complete shows 8) - but musically it can't touch the brilliance of any of their studio albums. They were a great live band too, but it was hard for them to get heard above all the hysteria. The same problem Elvis had during his '56 and '57 shows.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 am

James27 wrote:They were a great live band too, but it was hard for them to get heard above all the hysteria. The same problem Elvis had during his '56 and '57 shows.

It's not really a problem, the aural overlay of 10,000 screaming voices lends these live Beatles recordings an ambiance all their own. In the 80s, bands like Hüsker Dü and the Jesus and Mary Chain would exploit this sonic experience to great advantage.

If there is a decent recording of Elvis during his 1956 or 1957 tours, with 10,000 wailing fans throughout, it'd place on any all time list.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
James27 wrote:They were a great live band too, but it was hard for them to get heard above all the hysteria. The same problem Elvis had during his '56 and '57 shows.

It's not really a problem, the aural overlay of 10,000 screaming voices lends these live Beatles recordings an ambiance all their own. In the 80s, bands like Hüsker Dü and the Jesus and Mary Chain would exploit this sonic experience to great advantage.

If there is a decent recording of Elvis during his 1956 or 1957 tours, with 10,000 wailing fans throughout, it'd place on any all time list.


Well, The Beatles thought it was a problem, and it was one of the main reasons they quit touring and started experimenting with an incredible string of legendary studio records as a result. That's when they really reached their full potential as a band, after they quit touring. They hardly could hear themselves anymore on stage, and in the mid-60s technically, the sound equipment wasn't advanced enough to deal with that in a live situation. The live album ultimately issued in 1977 was merely a question of milking the cow, and George Martin wasn't too happy with it. It has since never been reissued on cd, either.

They were very entertaining concerts, though.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:39 am

James27 wrote:Well, The Beatles thought it was a problem, and it was one of the main reasons they quit touring and started experimenting with an incredible string of legendary studio records as a result. That's when they really reached their full potential as a band, after they quit touring.

That is debatable, but none of what you write above applies to the recordings cited. Also, the Beatles did not directly reject the Hollywood Bowl album master prepared for a holiday release in 1964 or the tapes made a year later. Accounts say it was George Martin.

The 1977 issue, an amalgam of their fantastic Hollywood Bowl shows of 1964 and 1965, was hardly "milking the cow." Since the Beatles breakup in 1970 very few reissues had hit the market, and they had never offered an official live release. That the album hit #1 UK and #2 US in 1977 indicates the public was very much appreciative of this long-overdue release. And, as noted, it was influential in its own right.

The album I would select would be one concert from each Hollywood Bowl visit, and it would be a truly exciting release, ranking right up there with the greats already discussed.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:47 am

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Two more for the list:

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star-Club, Hamburg (1964)

Now, that is one bad-ass album.

Yes. I read it is considered one of the best live albums of all time from CD REVIEW magazine. Great mag imo that went out of business.