Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:52 am

Traipsing through the archives, it seems January 1962 was being considered for a Presley tour!

Elvis at the NASA Exhibit in Seattle, September 1962
Photo: James W. Young

Milwaukee Sentinel - August 6, 1961

The mind reels with the many set list possibilities since his last gig, in Hawaii on March 25, 1961.

These are just some of the great songs issued since that Hawaii show, into December:

Flaming Star
Summer Kisses, Winter Tears
I Feel So Bad
Wild In The Country
There's Always Me
Give Me The Right
In Your Arms
Put The Blame On Me
His Latest Flame
Little Sister
Can't Help Falling In Love
Hawaiian Wedding Song

Oh, what a thrill a 1962 tour might have been!

It is already established in the literature that a Sep-Oct 1962 U.S. tour fell apart because management couldn't get RCA to underwrite it, and FECC offered the recently-discovered rumours of a Feb 1963 benefit gig:

Feb 1963 Benefit Show --> Very Mysterious!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54847

But a January 1962 tour is new to these eyes.

Anyone know more?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Oh, what a thrill a 1962 tour might have been!

And I want 1959 back!

Why do you do this to yourself? As I read this thread, I found myself getting my hopes up. For what? Yes, you've listed some very nice tunes there. Unfortunately, we'll not hear them performed in front of thousands of screaming, hysterical fans. It's depressing to think about the possibilities only to come back to earth and have to settle for "Girls! Girls! Girls!"

Damn it, John!

Nice thread though.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:05 am

I just wanna know what happened, and why. Then we may come back to Earth.

Happy angel is you
Happy earth boy is me

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:15 am

Aw man, it's such a great pity that movies took over.Imagine what a live Elvis show would have been like in 62.Nice article Doc.Thanks as always.

norrie

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:13 am

You're right = it's a great pity he was stuck so long in the Hollywood rut. This would have been fascinating.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:26 am

An early 60s live album would have been quite something.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:33 am

One mistake the columnist makes: "He has never been in Wisconsin."

Not true, Elvis played two shows in La Crosse, WI on May 14, 1956.

He would play Wisconsin seven more times between 1972 and 1977.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:22 am

Was Guralnick ever able to come up with any specifics? He kind of glossed over it in Careless Love.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:38 am

If Elvis had toured in 1962-63 he wouldn't have veered too much from his hits as far as set list goes.
He may have added 2 or 3 new songs, but that's about it.

Contenders from your list would only be the last 3.

Flaming star I would not consider great in any way.

If RCA wasn't going to flip the bill, then the likely scenerio is that they
refused to front any tours at that time.

And, since the band was splittered all over the map, what would he do for musicians?

Recall that since Elvis didn't go on tour, they finally decided to tour his gold Cadalaac.

Then in 1965, the colonel complained that it was hard work setting up tours, and his bad back
kept him from doing it. That always sounded like a lame excuse if you ask me.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 am

ekenee wrote:Flaming star I would not consider great in any way.

Well, it's not exactly "If You Love Me (Let Me Know), but what is?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:15 am

What's a Cadalaac? Do they make them in Cinicinnatii?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:26 am

ekenee wrote:And, since the band was splittered all over the map, what would he do for musicians?

He probably would have asked Scotty Moore, DJ Fontana and Jordanaires to tour with him and then they could pick a bass player.
The bass player could possibly have been Bob Moore.

If those guys all said no then Elvis could hold auditions like he did in 1969.

Elvis would have found a group of musicians to go on tour with him.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:55 am

Elvis was still the #1 artist at this time, and going by how the 1961 shows came together, he would have pulled his core of Scotty, D.J. and the Jordanaires, and added Bob Moore or Ray Siegel on bass, Buddy Harman on drums, Floyd Cramer on piano, and Boots Randolph on sax. Since Hank Garland was injured, the lead guitar spot would have fallen to Grady Martin, Harold Bradley or perhaps even Billy Strange.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:09 am

Could it be that Joe Botsford was just making this up.

Strange that we only know about this via the Milawaukee Sentinel.

Variety,Billboard,Casbox and the Commercial Appeal really missed the boat on this one

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:36 am

Which member of The Jordanaires would have sung "O Sole Mio"? :)
(and surely Elvis would have added a couple of Connie Francis songs to the repertoire since Miss Newton-John wasn't around yet. :wink: )

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:00 pm

A live album from this era would probably have been one of the greatest live albums of all time.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:A live album from this era would probably have been one of the greatest live albums of all time.

Quite possibly.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 pm

midnightx wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:A live album from this era would probably have been one of the greatest live albums of all time.

Quite possibly.

Just imagine live renditions of "I Feel So Bad" and "Little Sister"! I'd also hazard a guess Elvis may have chosen favourites of his from the Something for Everybody album; "There's Always Me" and "Judy". Just like when he chose favourite album cuts in 1961 which perhaps came as a slight surprise to us like "Doin' the Best I Can" and "Swing Down, Sweet Chariot". Although they're both fantastic songs, one wouldn't have predicted these to appear in a 1961 setlist, especially the latter.

A tape of Elvis in Memphis 1961 singing extremely rare renditions of "Surrender" and "Doin' the Best I Can" is still something that makes my mind boggle - one can only imagine how good these could be.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Traipsing through the archives, it seems January 1962 was being considered for a Presley tour!

Milwaukee Sentinel - August 6, 1961

The mind reels with the many set list possibilities since his last gig, in Hawaii on March 25, 1961.

These are just some of the great songs issued since that Hawaii show, into December:

Flaming Star
Summer Kisses, Winter Tears
I Feel So Bad
Wild In The Country
There's Always Me
Give Me The Right
In Your Arms
Put The Blame On Me
His Latest Flame
Little Sister
Can't Help Falling In Love
Hawaiian Wedding Song

Oh, what a thrill a 1962 tour might have been!

It is already established in the literature that a Sep-Oct 1962 U.S. tour fell apart because management couldn't get RCA to underwrite it, and FECC offered the recently-discovered rumours of a Feb 1963 benefit gig:

Feb 1963 Benefit Show --> Very Mysterious!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54847

But a January 1962 tour is new to these eyes.

Anyone know more?

Mr. Botsford looks an awful lot like a young J.D. Sumner.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Could it be that Joe Botsford was just making this up.

Strange that we only know about this via the Milawaukee Sentinel.

Variety,Billboard,Casbox and the Commercial Appeal really missed the boat on this one

oh yeah

I don't know if he made it up but at the very least his sources were wrong.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Would the fans have listened or just screamed all the way through the show?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Quite possibly.

Just imagine live renditions of "I Feel So Bad" and "Little Sister"! I'd also hazard a guess Elvis may have chosen favourites of his from the Something for Everybody album; "There's Always Me" and "Judy". Just like when he chose favourite album cuts in 1961 which perhaps came as a slight surprise to us like "Doin' the Best I Can" and "Swing Down, Sweet Chariot". Although they're both fantastic songs, one wouldn't have predicted these to appear in a 1961 setlist, especially the latter.

A tape of Elvis in Memphis 1961 singing extremely rare renditions of "Surrender" and "Doin' the Best I Can" is still something that makes my mind boggle - one can only imagine how good these could be.

Little Sister without Hank Garland on stage would not have sounded right.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:14 am

I concur.

This is why discoveries such as the above are so intriguing.

In 1961-62, Elvis was on the top of his game.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Great find as usual, Doc! Keep it going!

The Complete Masters threads will probably soon be gone and forgotten... :smt002

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I concur.

This is why discoveries such as the above are so intriguing.

In 1961-62, Elvis was on the top of his game.

Can you even imagine a comeback tour after he got out the army?! Instead of making GI Blues, Elvis comes home, records the Elvis Is Back! album and subsequent singles and appears on the Frank Sinatra show, then embarks on a nationwide homecoming US tour - showcasing a lot of his new material before a Global tour in 1961 starting with a return to Germany. In between all this Elvis could've still pursued his movie career, making only 1 picture per 1/2 years with the natural artistic progression from "Jailhouse Rock", "King Creole" onwards as Elvis re-defined the role of the Rock n Roll rebel once again.

The possibilities for Elvis after returning from the army, in the incredible physical shape and voice he was in, with a raft of superb "new" songs (He recorded 6 different #1 US/UK Hits in 1960 alone! "Stuck On You", "It's Now or Never", "Are You Lonesome Tonight?", "Wooden Heart", "Surrender" and "Crying In the Chapel" which eventually topped the UK charts 5 years later) and with fans even more hungry to hear him than ever, were endless. It's a shame what happened to him in the 60's - he could've carried on his wave on success and become an even bigger star than he was in the 50's. I've always felt he still never reached his true potential - yet still somehow reached heights nobody else ever reached.

Ah well, we can all dream eh?